FOG Brain Teaser

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

paullongmore
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

FOG Brain Teaser

Post by paullongmore »

I am the commander of an army and part way through the battle I want one of my steady units to charge. The unit can declare and make a charge on the target unit but I realise that it will make no difference whether I give the unit the order to charge or not. What army am I commanding?
Last edited by paullongmore on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
paullongmore

Re: FOG Brain Teaser

Post by paullongmore »

The explanation is (so stop reading if you don’t want to know)

The situation needs to be that you have ended up with a unit with both shock and missile armed foot in the front rank. So you have to test to charge due to the missiles and not too due to the shock. I believe there are two armies which possess troops of this type, Late Achaemenid Persian (Guard) and Qin (an option in warring states).
However, the basic target number is 7 for a cohesion test or for a drilled CMT. On two dice you have 21/36 success.
For undrilled the basic target number for a CMT is 8. On two dice you have 15/36 success and 21/36 fail.
For drilled or undrilled, if you order them to charge it’s a cohesion test so they need a 7 so are 21/36 success to charge.
If you don’t order them to charge you take a CMT and if undrilled unless you get an 8 they charge, so they are similarly 21/36 to charge.
The LAP Guard are drilled and would only have a 15/36 chance of charging if not ordered too, they have a higher than 21/36 chance of charging if ordered to as they are elite and have rerolls. So they do not fulfil the criteria.
The answer is therefore Qin/ Chin.

Return to “Rules Questions”