Internal Overlaps

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Internal Overlaps

Post by dave_r »

Looking at the photo above. The battle group in the middle with the red dice (and green disrupted marker behind it) has had the rear rank contacted in the flank by the Battle Group with the Green dice behind it. We are now in the melee phase after the impact.

It is also facing a BG to it's front - the three base fragmented BG with the black dice behind it. So - how many dice does the three base fragmented BG get in melee? The main query is can the single base with the black dice behind fight in the melee? i.e. is this an internal overlap?
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Internal Overlaps

Post by petedalby »

So - how many dice does the three base fragmented BG get in melee? The main query is can the single base with the black dice behind fight in the melee? i.e. is this an internal overlap?
Go on - I'll bite.

I think the fragged BG gets 3 bases fighting - so 2 dice. See page 92. An internal overlap is defined where a base has enemy in contact with more than 1 of its edges. Unless I'm mis-reading the situation that is not the case here.
Pete
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

petedalby wrote:
So - how many dice does the three base fragmented BG get in melee? The main query is can the single base with the black dice behind fight in the melee? i.e. is this an internal overlap?
Go on - I'll bite.

I think the fragged BG gets 3 bases fighting - so 2 dice. See page 92. An internal overlap is defined where a base has enemy in contact with more than 1 of its edges. Unless I'm mis-reading the situation that is not the case here.
Does that base not have enemy in contact with its rear corner (counting as flank edge) and it's front corner?

Also to be considered is that a BG can only be overlapped once on each of its four edges. Does that base count as being in the front rank?
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Does that base not have enemy in contact with its rear corner (counting as flank edge) and it's front corner?
No - a corner is not an edge - at least not as I understand it or as the rules are written. And you posted the photo. From where I am sitting there is no contact between the front rank base and the enemy base that has charged into it's flank / rear base.
Also to be considered is that a BG can only be overlapped once on each of its four edges. Does that base count as being in the front rank?
Agreed - but in your example where is the BG overlapped more than once on each of it's 4 edges? I can see only 1 overlap. The single base with the black dice behind them.
Pete

Return to “Rules Questions”