Field Fortifications?

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

TERRYFROMSPOKANE
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Field Fortifications?

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE »

We have been playing FoG for several years and are just now getting around to trying Field Fortifications. Our next game will be between Ostrogoths who are mostly lancer cavalry and Foederate Romans. I am thinking of eliminating one Roman 38 point Auxiliary BG and replacing it with a Fortified Camp and 5 stand widths of Field Fortifications for 39 points. I think these changes would provide better protection from the possibility of an Ostrogoth flank march.

Are Field Fortifications worth the points and how would they be best deployed?

Thanks, Terry G.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Field Fortifications?

Post by petedalby »

Hi Terry - FF can be helpful depending upon what you are facing.

Personally I usually deploy mine in the central section at 15 inches. This gives the troops manning them a head start in getting stuck in if you wish to attack. If you plan to defend it can push your opponent onto the flanks.

The fortified camp is effective against flank marching cavalry since they can't take it. So combined with terrain it can form an effective barrier.

In this match up the Ostrogoths can also benefit from FF if they have allied foot with them. The foot will be more secure behind the FF and a flank march by the Ostrogoth mounted might be effective.

Enjoy
Pete
grahambriggs

Re: Field Fortifications?

Post by grahambriggs »

I find they are useful against lancer armies Terry, and would deploy them in the centre. They create a problem for the enemy. Defending foot get a + and the mounted don't get the plusses for open terrain. Work the factors through and you realise it creates an area on the table where the enemy can't risk an attack. However, if they ignore the FF, then you can advance over them and wreak havoc.

Return to “Rules Questions”