Link Between Squads.csv and scripts Questions

Dddd99
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Link Between Squads.csv and scripts Questions

Post by Dddd99 »

Hi All, just picked this game up and still am moving thru the tutorials, but I am interested in eventually modding after I get the hang of it. Just have a few questions below if someone could help get me started. thanks and best wishes, ps love the game so far.

• If you call IsUnitSquadType(me, "Mixed_Foot"), is this checking for the unit type, ie "Type" in the squads.csv file, column "E"? If not which column in squads.csv is it checking?
  • Are all of these types required to be defined in terrain.txt? For example, assuming I am correct about IsUnitSquadType() function working the way I describe you need for the "Mixed_Foot" (column "E") entry in squads.csv a corresponding TYPE MIXED_FOOT in the terrain.txt file? If I am totally wrong here please help.
  • Just for my own curiosity, say you want to make a mixed unit like early Sengoku, for example, consisting in an arrangement of say 10%mounted, 70% yari, 20%yumi how would one go about doing that? Is it as simple as editing squads.csv columns of "Bow", "Light_Lancers", and "Spearmen" column entries to be 20, 10, and 70, respectively?
  • In squads.csv does "TotalMen" column increase/decrease #number of men in the unit affecting the unit's military might (gameplay wise) and "UnitSize" affecting the graphical display size of the unit?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Link Between Squads.csv and scripts Questions

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dddd99 wrote:[*]If you call IsUnitSquadType(me, "Mixed_Foot"), is this checking for the unit type, ie "Type" in the squads.csv file, column "E"?
That is correct.
[*]Are all of these types required to be defined in terrain.txt? For example, assuming I am correct about IsUnitSquadType() function working the way I describe you need for the "Mixed_Foot" (column "E") entry in squads.csv a corresponding TYPE MIXED_FOOT in the terrain.txt file?
Also correct.
[*]Just for my own curiosity, say you want to make a mixed unit like early Sengoku, for example, consisting in an arrangement of say 10%mounted, 70% yari, 20%yumi how would one go about doing that? Is it as simple as editing squads.csv columns of "Bow", "Light_Lancers", and "Spearmen" column entries to be 20, 10, and 70, respectively?
Conceivably. Some combinations will work correctly, some that have not been anticipated may not work as anticipated, because some of the POAs only require a certain % of men so-armed to count full effect (100 POA), whereas others are directly proportional to the actual % in the unit.

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to create them, put them in a dummy scenario with some enemy units within charge reach, then use the detailed tooltips and CTRL-L-click unit information to investigate how their POAs work in practice.
[*]In squads.csv does "TotalMen" column increase/decrease #number of men in the unit affecting the unit's military might (gameplay wise) and "UnitSize" affecting the graphical display size of the unit?[/list]
No, UnitSize is what affects the unit's military might. TotalMen is just for display purposes and to keep track of losses. There are diminishing returns for units of above 600 UnitSize for foot and 400 UnitSize for mounted troops.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dddd99

Post by Dddd99 »

Thanks very much for the reply. That cleared up a lot.

One last question I forgot to ask in my last post: The script CombatTools.BSF contains the relationships between different units and their characteristics and ultimately the final POAs between each of the match ups? Am I correct here? Are there any other scripts which control the "match up" behavior and if so which ones?

Thanks again for the help. Best wishes.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dddd99 wrote:Thanks very much for the reply. That cleared up a lot.

One last question I forgot to ask in my last post: The script CombatTools.BSF contains the relationships between different units and their characteristics and ultimately the final POAs between each of the match ups? Am I correct here? Are there any other scripts which control the "match up" behavior and if so which ones?
All the main combat matchup routines are in CombatTools.BSF.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dddd99

Post by Dddd99 »

Thank you so much for the help. Best wishes.

= )

Return to “Modders Corner”