Backup game

urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Backup game

Post by urkki63 »

Gentlemen,

I made a backup installation of the game- C/My games/SJ mod - to test my tweaks. Normally, you get a fresh installation and you can do whatever you like with it without the risk of corrupting the main game (C/program files x86/Slitherine etc) but this time the scenario I had made earlier was already there in the editor.. and when I made a minor change to the map and launched the main game the change age 10 sec was already there.. The question arises, will the tweaks I plan to make stay in the backup game or somehow immediately mess the main SJ?

How do I do this simple thing properly?

I did a search but didn´t find anything convincing enough. So I bring my question to the masses again.

Regards,

Henry
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Backup game

Post by rbodleyscott »

Custom campaigns are saved in \My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Campaigns (or \My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Multiplayer)

You can have multiple installations but they will all use the custom campaigns folders as above.

Nothing that you alter in custom campaigns will affect the main or other installations.
Richard Bodley Scott

urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

The Saga continues, I´m afraid

Made changes to TEXTURES@.dds (just a big black blob on the bridge), saved it under same name, copied it to My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Campaigns and opened my scenario in the editor. No blob on the bridge. What now?

Henry
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

urkki63 wrote:The Saga continues, I´m afraid

Made changes to TEXTURES@.dds (just a big black blob on the bridge), saved it under same name, copied it to My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Campaigns and opened my scenario in the editor. No blob on the bridge. What now?

Henry
You need to save it in:

My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Campaigns\Your campaign name\OBJECTS

Everything has to go in its proper place in order to get loaded instead of the default versions. However, confusingly, the file tree is not the same for Custom Campaigns as it is in the main build.
Take a look at the Custom Campaign Folder Layout diagram near the end of

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... tub_engine

That will tell you where everything should go. You must follow it correctly or it won't work.
Richard Bodley Scott

urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

That will tell you where everything should go. You must follow it correctly or it won't work.
Oh, hat diagram. I was afraid I was going to see it again. Can´t I just copy the whole game into My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Campaigns\? Or do I really have to find all those files and folders one by one, copy&paste, and arrange them anew manually into the new address without making a single mistake? Sounds like a lot of work for a simple test.. Can I just copy OBJECTS there and nothing else (in addition to the files already there)?

Henry
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

urkki63 wrote:
Oh, that diagram. I was afraid I was going to see it again. Can´t I just copy the whole game into My Documents\My Games\SJIDAI\Campaigns\?
No, it wouldn't work, because the file tree is different.
Or do I really have to find all those files and folders one by one, copy&paste, and arrange them anew manually into the new address without making a single mistake? Sounds like a lot of work for a simple test.. Can I just copy OBJECTS there and nothing else (in addition to the files already there)?
You don't have to copy everything into your campaign.

You only have to copy the files you are going to change, but they won't load unless they are in the right place as per the diagram.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Modders Corner”