Pike and Shot Terrain Set Download

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Pike and Shot Terrain Set Download

Post by Paul59 »

Here is the first of my alternative terrain styles for Sengoku Jidai.

This is just the standard Pike and Shot Summer Terrain adapted to work in Sengoku Jidai. This will only work if you have updated your version of Sengoku Jidai to the latest patch (1.28) that added the capability to have extra terrain styles.
I have also modified the Objects Textures files slightly to give more vibrant colours to the trees. The standard SJ tree textures looked very bland when combined with the Pike and Shot terrain.

How to Install:

1) Download the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/02f4t ... _style.rar

2) Extract the file.

3) Within the file you have extracted you will find two sub folders;

Data; Copy and paste the Data file into your ProgramFiles (x86)/Slitherine/Sengoku Jidai (Steam version: /ProgramFiles (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Sengoku Jidai). Overwriting any existing files.

ORIGINAL OBJECTS; This contains the Original Sengoku Jidai Object Texture files. As the Data file overwrites the original Object Texture files, I have included them here just in case you want to revert back to them.

4) Unlike the standard terrain options (Ukiyo-e and Green) this additional terrain set cannot be selected from the in-game Options screen. So find your Sengoku Jidai OPTIONS.TXT file. Mine is located in My Documents/My Games/SJIDAI, but yours may be different depending upon what version of Windows you have. Open the OPTIONS.TXT and change the AltTiles line to read AltTiles 2.

There will be more to follow, probably at least one of the brown terrain options, Adebar’s snow terrain, and maybe a more vibrant green option.

Cheers

Paul
Last edited by Paul59 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
GShock112
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Pike and Shot Terrain Set Download

Post by GShock112 »

Oh wow I've got to try this.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Just a quick word of advice. The new 1.2.9 patch contains new Texture files (the only difference that I can see is that the colours of the water and some house roofs has changed), which will automatically overwrite the existing Texture files when you install the patch.

If you want to revert back to my tree Textures you will have to reinstall them from the Data folder in the mod.

When I release the next terrain set, I will include a new Texture set that combines my tree colours with the new water and roof colours. The next Terrain set will probably be for Winter Snow.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

MagnetoRN
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MagnetoRN »

This is beautiful, man! I couldn't feel any immersion from the original tiles. Now this looks like a war! You will make a winter snow terrain? Are there seasons in this game?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Thanks Magneto,

I have been very busy lately with other projects, but soon I will make time to release some new terrain sets for Sengoku Jidai. The game does not support the different seasons as such, but you can manually change the terrain set by changing the OPTIONS.TXT.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Thank you, this is very beautiful. Your effort is appreciated.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

Slitherine just sold a copy of this game when I can afford it. This is what we needed all along! The ability to change the terrain. Its a shame that is has to come from the user community. All I can say to guy like you, Paul and many others that are doing this for us ... thanks much!

And thanks to Slith and Mr. Scott for putting out the update that allows this kind of thing to happen. <thumbsup> guys!

All future game programmers need to keep this in mind: have as broad of a test group as possible on the look and feel of your games. You might get a group that tests the game who just "goes along with the flow." I tend to be somewhat of a "stick in the mud" kind of guy but after playing wargames since I was 13 (AH - Luftwaffe) and seeing how far the graphics for games have come the murky graphics of some games just make me smh on why folks want to go back to the "Dark Ages of Board and Computer games."

These days your graphics need to be sharp and easy to read. The days of murky or stark graphics should be over. A lot of us not only play computer games but we work on PCs all day long. Thus it behooves anyone that designs ANY game (board or computer) to consider the visual impact of the effects of "The Look" over a period of time.

Well done all! Once I can get the game I will be back here to get the low down on how to install these graphics mods.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Old_Warrior wrote:Slitherine just sold a copy of this game when I can afford it. This is what we needed all along! The ability to change the terrain. Its a shame that is has to come from the user community. All I can say to guy like you, Paul and many others that are doing this for us ... thanks much!

And thanks to Slith and Mr. Scott for putting out the update that allows this kind of thing to happen. <thumbsup> guys!

All future game programmers need to keep this in mind: have as broad of a test group as possible on the look and feel of your games. You might get a group that tests the game who just "goes along with the flow." I tend to be somewhat of a "stick in the mud" kind of guy but after playing wargames since I was 13 (AH - Luftwaffe) and seeing how far the graphics for games have come the murky graphics of some games just make me smh on why folks want to go back to the "Dark Ages of Board and Computer games."

These days your graphics need to be sharp and easy to read. The days of murky or stark graphics should be over. A lot of us not only play computer games but we work on PCs all day long. Thus it behooves anyone that designs ANY game (board or computer) to consider the visual impact of the effects of "The Look" over a period of time.

Well done all! Once I can get the game I will be back here to get the low down on how to install these graphics mods.
Thanks for your kind words Old Warrior!

You have probably seen the other sets that I made;

Winter
Light Brown
Anegawa
Japanese Green

They are all on the forum here. I think the Japanese Green is my favourite, it is a much more fibrant colour. Although I also use the Anegawa occasionally, it is quite popular with players that like the Ukiyo-e style but want something more colourful.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

Paul' Anegawa: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=75363

Don't forget the zoom mod too, to have the better feeling, its thread has been sticked as it's a must-have:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 73#p647104
edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

Paul, I am installing the 2 Pike & Shot Style. Am I right that there are only two files 2 P&S style and Original Objects in the download which I assume only replace the Tiles and objects files not the entire original DATA file. The instructions are a bit confusing because they use the word DATA.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:42 pm Paul, I am installing the 2 Pike & Shot Style. Am I right that there are only two files 2 P&S style and Original Objects in the download which I assume only replace the Tiles and objects files not the entire original DATA file. The instructions are a bit confusing because they use the word DATA.
You seem very confused!

Looking at this again, nearly three years later, I think I could have made part 3) of the instructions a little clearer.

Here goes:

3) When you extract the download you will have a folder called "2 Pike & Shot style". It contains two sub folders; "2 P&S style" and "ORIGINAL OBJECTS".

To install the new terrain set just copy and paste the Data file contained within the "2 P&S style" folder into your ProgramFiles (x86)/Slitherine/Sengoku Jidai folder. Click to overwrite any folders and files with the same name.

The "ORIGINAL OBJECTS" should be pasted somewhere safe in your My Documents folder. It contains the original vanilla object's texture files. You will only need these files if you dislike my modded textures for buildings and trees etc, and want to revert back to the original textures. If that is the case, just copy the Data sub folder contained within "ORIGINAL OBJECTS" folder into your ProgramFiles (x86)/Slitherine/Sengoku Jidai folder, again click to overwrite any folders and files with the same name. To repeat, this step is only necessary if you do not like my modded buildings and tree textures!

And that is all you need to know. To explain a bit further; I was trying to make the installation very simple, so the new texture set is already placed within the file structure of the Data folder. All you do is copy the Data folder in the "2 P&S style" folder into your main game install. It will then place the new texture set in exactly the right place, there is no need for anyone to try and find the correct destination folder themselves.

Please note that the new Data folder I have provided only contains the new texture files, it does not contain all the other original files needed by the game. So please do not delete the original Data file in your main installation, and replace with this new Data folder! That would destroy your game! The only thing you do to install the new texture set is copy and paste my new Data folder into your main game installation folder, just as I explained.

I was also trying to make things very easy for people who want to revert to the original buildings and tree textures. My providing the original texture file, instead of people having to find and save the original file themselves.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Thanks Paul, that is very clear now.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

No it isn't. Sorry to bother you again but now as I see it, wrongly perhaps, there are two DATA folders, one in the main Sengoku Jidai folder and one in your 2 P&S Style folder. If I copy your Data file into the main folder there are now two folders with the same name. Overwriting then, as you say, would be disatrous!
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

edward77 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:15 pm No it isn't. Sorry to bother you again but now as I see it, wrongly perhaps, there are two DATA folders, one in the main Sengoku Jidai folder and one in your 2 P&S Style folder. If I copy your Data file into the main folder there are now two folders with the same name. Overwriting then, as you say, would be disatrous!
No. it wouldn't be!

The new modded Data folder from the 2 P&S Style folder only contains the new files for the new P&S terrain set, plus the texture files for the buildings and trees objects. So when you copy and paste the new Data folder over the vanilla Data folder the only files that are being replaced are the two object texture files, all the existing files are unaffected and will remain!

FOGII TT Mod Creator

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Ah right, I was not aware of that and too scared to try. Thank you for your help and patience.

Return to “Modders Corner”