Can the unit files be changed?

ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Can the unit files be changed?

Post by ErissN6 »

GShock112 wrote:if you charge skirmishers from far you probably aren't gonna catch them... which leaves the cav exposed to be shot or charged in turn. The extra APs are very useful for maneuverability (turning) because they make the charge come from farther not because of distance but because thanks to them you can avoid the zones of control... which is nearly impossible in big battles.
At now it didn't bother me. It's normal to not catch skirmishers if we make the charge from too far. But what is missing is an easier mean to know that we are about to charge a skirmisher, and not other kind of unit, so we know that the counter may evade the charge..
My simulation idea is that those extra APs are extra speed not to cover distance but to manouver
Lol, it's the reverse for me:
I think in battle the cavalry is good, it's normal to be slowed. What is missing is to cover distance more easily when not in combat.
But I don't have so many battles fought.. Maybe later I'll feel like you.
rbodleyscott wrote:I wasn't clear what condition ERISS wanted to add.
Sorry I don't well enough speak english:
"If the cavalry was not harmed this turn nor did a battle action, then in the end of its normal movement (impossible to move farther) it has 4AP bonus to continue its movement (and it can't be used to attack)." (hope it's more clear)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

ERISS wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:I wasn't clear what condition ERISS wanted to add.
Sorry I don't well enough speak english:
"If the cavalry was not harmed this turn nor did a battle action, then in the end of its normal movement (impossible to move farther) it has 4AP bonus to continue its movement (it can't be used to attack)." (hope it's more clear)
Given the way the engine works, that might be hard to implement. Probably not impossible though. Good luck trying!
Richard Bodley Scott

GShock112
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by GShock112 »

See Eriss, the only problem i have with the movement is not the speed but the maneuverability. Even though the Cav can avoid being charged it has serious problems with terrain and with ZOC. So, in order to use it successfully you must move it quite far away and then come back to swing towards the center. This often is impossible because it arrives too late... but it's not just that.
Since the AI only engages when it's stronger than you (and stronger very often means more numerous), the moment battle is joined you have extreme difficulties in flanking an enemy that is more numerous than you.

It's like 2 trying to flank 3 or 5 trying to flank 8. It's near to impossible and it generally ends with the flanker being flanked in turn by an unchecked unit.

The least I can think of, is to give the cav more AP (and the change to 20AP is consistent, though maybe it could even be increased to 24 and still not be unbalanced... considering how much it costs to build one) so you can use them to wheel or... to reach a road... or to run for cover when under missile threat. Most notably a "fast" cavalry can more easily reach the Honjin, which should be a primary target. But this all depends on the situation.

The AI has vastly improved with .9 and if another step were possible in a future patch, everything should be re-assessed again.

Return to “Modders Corner”