Possible Terrain mod

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Possible Terrain mod

Post by Paul59 »

Hi Guys,

I have finally got SJ, and I could not resist having a tinker with the terrain files, because I know some people (including myself) do not particularly like the parchment style. One of my options, and by far the easiest, is to go for a darker brown look, inspired by my memories of Kurosawa's epic Samurai movies. What do you think of these three options;

Dark;

Darker;

Darkest;

They all have the tree textures replaced by those from Adebar's Four seasons mod. These effects were all obtained by modifying the existing SJ files, rather than swapping in P&S files because there are some important differences.

If you would like these available as a mod please let me know.

regards

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Possible Terrain mod

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I sure would! Looks good!
Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Brenmusik »

Seconded.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I am still experimenting with these alternative terrains. I have begun to work out how the Sengoku Jidai terrain files differ from the Pike and Shot ones, and I am hoping to offer green and brown versions based upon the Pike and Shot terrain, which I think I prefer. It's still early days and I have a bit more work to do yet before they are perfected. I will also be very busy with family life for next 6 weeks or so, so progress might be slow.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Here is the Pike and Shot based terrain adapted to Sengoku Jidai and turned brown;

and this is the Pike and Shot terrain adapted to Sengoku Jidai, but turned a brighter green;

The paddy fields have been made a more brighter, less blue green than the original Sengoku Jidai paddies. Trees have also been given a Pike and Shot makeover.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

Paul59 wrote:
and this is the Pike and Shot terrain adapted to Sengoku Jidai, but turned a brighter green;
Very attractive! Keep it on :)
stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers »

I like this one the best. But do take your time, family comes before modding. Thanks for taking the time to do these examples.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The forthcoming v1.2.8 patch does contain a green tile option which can be toggled on in the Advanced Options menu.

However, the way the option works will make it very easy to add additional user-created tile sets without overwriting the two alternative official versions. User-added tile sets can be easily turned on by altering one value in the OPTIONS.TXT file in /My Documents/My Games/SJIDAI.

The official sets are named

TEX0.TGA etc.
TEX0_1.TGA etc.

User-created tile sets could be added as

TEX0_2.TGA etc,
TEX0_3.TGA etc

and so on.

To activate the _2 set, you would edit the OPTIONS.TXT file to read

AltTiles 2

instead of AltTiles 0 or 1.

You should exit the game before editing the OPTIONS.TXT file otherwise the game will overwrite it when you close it.
Richard Bodley Scott

TDefender

Post by TDefender »

Great news Richard, thanks a lot for this! :)
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I'm still tinkering with these new terrain options, as I play more scenarios I keep discovering discrepancies in the Pike and Shot terrain tiles. I started Mikatagahara today, and noticed that the mountain tops were missing! So I had to track down where the mountain top tile should go, and add it to all the terrain option sets. I still don't know which style I prefer. The brighter P&S style is perhaps my favourite, but I still like the brown versions too.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Modders Corner”