General - King Tiger

Fortifications issues

Post by Paul59 »

Hi all,

While working on a new scenario I have noticed two odd things;

When you hover the mouse over a fortification square, you normally see this;

"Heavy Fortifications (Hill). Foot Defenders get cover, plus....."

However, the inside corner squares of fortifications show this;

Just "Heavy Fortifications (Hill)." No mention of any defensive benefits. My play testing has confirmed that units occupying those inside corner squares do not get any benefits of the cover either for shooting, assault or melee. I have noticed the same thing in the vanilla Pyeongyang scenario, on the Japanese right flank facing the impassable cliffs, only in that scenario it is not inside corner squares, but regular squares with Heavy walls on the side.

Is this a bug, or is there a way to give these inside corner squares the normal defensive benefits for Heavy Fortifications?

Secondly, this scenario contains a light gun unit sitting in the Fortifications. It is just a regular Japanese light gun unit, I have not modded it in any way, except to change it's name using the Text1.txt. It works normally, except that it never fires in the Residual Fire phase, even though there are plenty of targets! What is going on?

Cheers

Paul

PS; Well done if anyone can identify the battle that I am working on!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Fortifications issues

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Don't know the battle, but it seems to be during the Shimazu invasion of Okinawa?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I will look into these issues.

Can you post a screenshot of the light artillery position please.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

On further investigation, the inside corner bug appears to have been introduced when the program obstacle finding system was optimised. It also affects the latest version of Pike & Shot.

It will be corrected for the next patch.

The Pyeongyang thing is working as intended - we had to use special non-blocking versions of the wall objects otherwise the Chinese artillery would not be able to shoot over it. The impassable cliff stops it from being assaulted. So don't use the "Non-Blocking" versions of the fortification objects except where you want enemy to be able to shoot over the walls and physical access is prevented by terrain.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul,

I will email you the patched script file so you can include it in your scenario pending the patch.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

SnuggleBunnies wrote:Don't know the battle, but it seems to be during the Shimazu invasion of Okinawa?
Yes, you are correct. It is the attack on Shuri castle.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

rbodleyscott wrote:I will look into these issues.

Can you post a screenshot of the light artillery position please.
Hi Richard,

Here is a screenshot of the cannons;

They are LIGHT_CANNON_0_SET4, renamed to Ryuku Light cannons, and with a new 3d texture, but I did not change the unit stats at all.

I have just run a quick test of the scenario, purely to check the Residual Shooting phase. It is not just the artillery unit that is affected. In this screenshot here, there are 3 Ryuku bow armed units that could have fired at the Mounted Samurai unit in front of the walls, none of them fired in the Ryuku turn. Only one of the units actually fired in the next Residual Shooting phase. I assume this is something to do with the Heavy Fortifications again, and maybe the one unit that fired was the one in the gate square, which counts as Medium Fortifications. This problem was masked in normal play, because the defending units do make reactive fire back in response to enemy movement/fire during the enemies turn.

I also moved the cannons out of the castle, and they did fire during the Residual Shooting phase. The Ryukuan infantry also fire during the Residual Shooting phase when outside of the castle.

BTW, is it right that the gate squares count as Medium Fortifications, not Heavy?

Thanks for the new Fortification code that you sent me, to fix the inside corner issue. I have not implemented it yet, is it possible that it might cure the Residual Shooting phase problem too?

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I think the residual shooting phase "problem" is due to the fact that troops hidden in cover do not residual shoot, and all troops in cover are re-hidden each turn until they move or shoot unless the enemy is within range to see them in cover.

You might have to mod that for this scenario if you want them to residual shoot.

In addition to the files noted above, try adding a copy of StartTurnPreTools.BSF to your campaign in /Data/Battle/Scripts. (You will find it in /Data/scripts in the main build)

Then try commenting out lines 142,143 and 198.

--------------------

Gates count as Medium Fortifications because when we counted them as Heavy Fortifications during devlopment they were almost impossible to assault. They are hard enough to assault even as Medium.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

rbodleyscott wrote:I think the residual shooting phase "problem" is due to the fact that troops hidden in cover do not residual shoot, and all troops in cover are re-hidden each turn until they move or shoot unless the enemy is within range to see them in cover.

You might have to mod that for this scenario if you want them to residual shoot.

In addition to the files noted above, try adding a copy of StartTurnPreTools.BSF to your campaign in /Data/Battle/Scripts. (You will find it in /Data/scripts in the main build)

Then try commenting out lines 142,143 and 198.

--------------------

Gates count as Medium Fortifications because when we counted them as Heavy Fortifications during devlopment they were almost impossible to assault.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for explaining all that.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Painting the main building red is a nice touch.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

jomni wrote:Painting the main building red is a nice touch.
Thanks jomni,

These are only temporary texture edits by myself, I am waiting on some custom buildings from another modder before I release the scenario.

cheers

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Nice looking screenshots there Paul59. Can't wait to try the Shuri Castle scenario out!
Image Image
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Paul59 just curious are you still working on this one?
Image Image
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Pixel wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:52 pm Paul59 just curious are you still working on this one?
Well I have completed the scenario, but I am still waiting on the special buildings from another modder.

Coincidentally, my son reminded me about the scenario yesterday, I had completely forgotten about it as I am so involved in FOG II these days. I will PM the other guy to see what is going on. I have no problem to release the scenario with the standard buildings.

cheers

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Scenario Design”