urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Cursor way off

Post by urkki63 »

cursor.jpg
cursor.jpg (386.68 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Hi all!

The cursor in the editor has developed an oddity I need to get rid of. The cursor is so way off that some tasks, notably deleting objects, is virtually impossible without destroying the whole neighborhood in the process. In the pic, the gate is being dragged along by the cursor which is, as you can see, nowhere near the object. Moving objects is still possible as you can at least see it. Deleting objects, the "eraser" point is invisible and there's no way of knowing what gets deleted.

According to the manual, "pressing delete will remove any object currently under the cursor". Does not happen. Otherwise, the game seems to be functioning fine.

I reinstalled the game a week or two ago and updated it to Mandate of Heaven.

Regards,

Henry
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Cursor way off

Post by zakblood »

can we just have a report to rule out anything on your end thanks,.

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post with first adding the file to a zip, which is then permitted to attach to the forum
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

DxDiag.rar
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
You certainly can.
Note that my PS and FOG2 editors seem to work perfectly. Forgot to mention that.

Regards,

Henry
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thanks, this is just for the developer to look at tbh,.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Dedicated Memory: 112 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.7543 (English)
Date and Size: 23.6.2015 (old)
realtec.jpg
realtec.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
the cursor maybe to do with the screen size / resolution etc but developer would need to confirm

for me you may have to play around with some 4:3 resolutions, Minor correction: the aspect ratio of 1280x1024 is 5:4, not 4:3. At a pixel aspect ratio of 4:3, the pixel-height of an image with a pixel-width 1280 would actually be 960, not 1024.

as altering the image to fit or stretch will make the cursor incorrect for a guess? but i maybe wrong, easy way it to alter the res and check or wait for the developer to comment.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Pip may know the answer to this. I do not. Will point him at this thread.
Richard Bodley Scott

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I would try running in a number of different resolutions, most simply in a window, and see if the issue persists.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

Pip,

Tried different resolutions. Problem persists.

Henry
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I honestly don't know what to suggest. What is your monitor setup? Clearly nobody else is having this issue, so we need to determine the cause.

Cheers

Pip
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

deleting.jpg
deleting.jpg (983.87 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Hi Pip!

Monitor setup being..?

To demonstrate the problem further, see pic above. Trying to delete the stone tower under the cursor pressing DELETE (L). Nothing happens. Moving the cursor slowly around, still pressing DELETE, the tower in the upper left hand corner eventually disappears (R). Different angles, zooming levels, scale of the building (SHIFT+HOME) etc. complicate things even more. Trying to delete a scaled up Japanese stone tower, for example, usually ends up the tower standing proudly in the middle of a large empty area where the rest of the castle used to be.

I can't make head or tail of this but it just can't be the way the editor was designed.

I hope we get to the bottom of this. The object section is currently unusable.

Regards,

Henry
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

eg do you use one or more etc

spreading a image across more than one screen etc

is it a monitor or a tv screen etc, as something off with the pixels, so Pip wishes to understand on what'c causing it, as to understand give more of a chance to fix and issue etc
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

It's a 4:3 old monitor. The issue might be related with the 4:3 resolution.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

that's what i thought also in my first post on it, seems it's a pixel or so out which alter the cursor :cry:
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

Hi guys!

It's an ancient - my wife says 7 years or so - Samsung Syncmaster 913N, 20". No other monitors. Not much of a setup, really.
zakblood_slith wrote:that's what i thought also in my first post on it, seems it's a pixel or so out which alter the cursor :cry:
Is there a fix to it? This thing drives me crazy.

Cheers!

Henry
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

if there's a menu to go into on the monitor and alter the settings, somewhat, but tbh it's trial and error, as while a odd pixel may not seem much, it's makes a load of difference on the display from the menu items being incorrectly selected to what your displaying on the screenshot, as where you think the mouse is to where the game and o/s is, is slightly off, so yes it should be fixable on your end, by altering the setting in the menu of the monitor etc, but may take a few goes to alter it, as it's a resizing issue, is what both the tech support guys think, where as the developer and admin may also agree when they read the updated post etc
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you see any offset when hovering over buttons on (e.g.) the main menu?

Cheers

Pip
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

as it's an onboard GPU / CPU you may need to display the tools for it,

Code: Select all

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005596/graphics-drivers.html
Enabling the Tray Icon

Right-click the desktop and select Screen Resolution (Windows 7* or Windows 8*) or Properties (Windows XP*).

Select Advanced Settings (Windows 7 or Windows 8) or Advanced (Windows XP).

Navigate to the Intel® Graphics Control Panel tab.

Select the check box for Show Tray Icon.

Select Apply > OK.

windows 10

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005637/graphics-drivers.html
and it's this part you want to see what the settings are on, and alter if you can, may need to do quite a few to see any difference in game (trial and error i'm afraid)
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
to support the monitor res size
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

[quote="pipfromslitherine"]Do you see any offset when hovering over buttons on (e.g.) the main menu?

None.
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

[quote="zakblood_slith"]as it's an onboard GPU / CPU you may need to display the tools for it,

If it's that complicated I guess I might as well by a new monitor. 7 years is a venerable age for one and it's bound to die any given day anyway. The technical reasoning behind the purchase maybe a little difficult for the finance department to understand but she'll get over it. 4:3 is not a good idea, then?

Thanks for your help, guys. Much appreciated.

Cheers!

Henry
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

here's a good read and may put her mind at ease,

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-4-3-monitors-so-rare-these-days-2016
it's the most up todate one i could find, and even then it's wrote in Jul 23 2016, so a few years old now.

and tbh your hardware (pc) is also old now as well, as while it will play most of the games you have, it also won't last for ever either, for me 3 years is if your lucky as about as good as most get, 5 to 7 is rare, new stuff now days is cheaper as one it doesn't last as long, and most find they just about last until the warranty runs out, so 1 to 3 years over that is very very lucky now days.
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

new stuff now days is cheaper as one it doesn't last as long, and most find they just about last until the warranty runs out]

Ain't that the truth. My 3 yo pc just died in July. Luckily the cord escaped unharmed.

Henry

Return to “Tech Support”