Ask for screen resolution before launching game

auerland
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Ask for screen resolution before launching game

Post by auerland »

Hi

I am running Sengoku Jidai directly on my Surface tablet and also, while at home, connected to an external screen. I set the resolution of the screen on the tablet to 1368x912 (I mean, this the resolution I am working with for all my work on the tablet), and the external screen is set to 1920x1200.

The problem: setting the resolution in Sengoku Jidai to 1920x1200 works both when I play on the tablet directly and when I use the external screen. However, on the tablet, part of the screen size is unused (both on the top and on the bottom).

Question/proposal: would it be possible to allow the user to set the resolution before starting the game? This is what it is done, for example, in Battle Academy (the first one) and I liked it very much. Now, I understand that many people would not like to be asked all the time if they use only the same screen anyway. So I propose the following:

- The first time the game is run, you get the screen resolution option.
- In the same window that is asking for it you should find also a checkbox called something like "do not ask me again".
- Later, for the case you change your mind, you should find an option inside the game, under settings, that restores the initial question about screen resolution before running the game.

By the way: I have the same issue with Pike and Shot: Campaigns. It would be awesome, if this could be also implemented there.

What do you think?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ask for screen resolution before launching game

Post by pipfromslitherine »

We are unlikely to implement that kind of 2-step system as it would probably still require us to have the option ingame, as well as some way to bring it back up should you need it.

In your case you can set up the resolution directly in the OPTIONS.TXT file (found in My Documents/My Games/SJIDAI), which would allow you to change resolutions before running the game. You could potentially set up a batch file to copy a correct version of the file before launching the game, though then any option changes would not carry across.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
auerland

Re: Ask for screen resolution before launching game

Post by auerland »

Yes, I thought also about the possibility of setting up a batch file. I probably will do that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Return to “Tech Support”