New Taiken Gate 1177 Scenario available

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

New Taiken Gate 1177 Scenario available

Post by Paul59 »

My new scenario; Taiken Gate 1177, is now available to download through the game. Just start Sengoku Jidai and you will see the "Historical" button highlighted. Click on it and then click on the download button, you will then see a screen listing the available scenarios, click on Taiken Gate and download it. It should automatically install in the right location in your files, and be available to play from the Historical scenarios list.

You should really use my Japanese Green terrain with this scenario, other wise it might look a bit odd. It is available from this thread;

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 29&t=76272

I used Stephen Turnbull's "The Gempei War 1180-85" by Osprey Publishing, and the Samurai battles website (https://www.commandsandcolors.net/samuraibattles/) as the basis for this scenario.

1) There is no Honjin is this scenario. My understanding of the Gempei War suggests that at this time the generals lead from the front seeking honourable opponents for a challenge, rather than sitting at the rear directing the army.

2) Also I have given the Taira slightly different troop types from the standard game;

Samurai with Followers - Samurai fighting on foot or mounted accompanied by their followers.

Followers - Lower class followers of samurai operating independantly.

Ji-Samurai - Poor samurai foot soldiers with polearms.

Conscripts - Poorly armed and motivated conscript foot soldiers. These don't feature in this scenario, but will in future ones.

Mounted Yumi Samurai - these are the same as the standard game troop type.

Here is a screenshot of my new 3D units;

3) Difficulty Rating; Very hard.

Cheers!

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: New Taiken Gate 1177 Scenario available

Post by jomni »

Nice. Fancy (lack of) uniforms in Genpei War syle.
Why are the flags Mongol? :wink:
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:Why are the flags Mongol? :wink:
I was wondering that.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

jomni wrote:Nice. Fancy (lack of) uniforms in Genpei War syle.
Why are the flags Mongol? :wink:
Sorry guys!

I think I was trying to remove the (Pro-Imperial) part of the Taira name, and chose the wrong Side number. I never noticed the wrong flag myself, even though I play tested this about a dozen times!

I will send a corrected scenario to Richard.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

A nice short and sharp scenario; found it pretty easy, though it's possible I got lucky. Sent one cavalry unit down each side street, lined the infantry up in the center, and barreled ahead. Once a single enemy unit broke, the low quality of the enemy force, packed into narrow streets, led to chain disruptions. My cavalry took advantage, and I rapidly won with 0% routed.

I really like the heavily mixed follower units; they strike me as a more accurate representation of the era. I understand RBS and co didn't take this approach in the base game in order to differentiate units.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

SnuggleBunnies wrote:A nice short and sharp scenario; found it pretty easy, though it's possible I got lucky. Sent one cavalry unit down each side street, lined the infantry up in the center, and barreled ahead. Once a single enemy unit broke, the low quality of the enemy force, packed into narrow streets, led to chain disruptions. My cavalry took advantage, and I rapidly won with 0% routed.

I really like the heavily mixed follower units; they strike me as a more accurate representation of the era. I understand RBS and co didn't take this approach in the base game in order to differentiate units.
You must be a much better player than me, it was always a struggle for me in testing, although I made many changes to make it a bit easier after each play through. I tried to send the cavalry around the right flank, and that seemed to be a decent strategy, maybe going both flanks as you did is better still?

Yes, I wanted to give a slightly different approach to the Gempei Wars army lists than the standard, not that I disagree with how RBS and the team did it, but just to give another option. I have reworked the Gempei Kassen campaign, to use these new armies, I will send it to RBS for approval soon.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

That sounds fantastic, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all the hard work.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

So you'll be following the mixed units in the Empires of the Dragon?
Yeah we kept to the somewhat homogenous units to differentiate and give tactical flexibility.
Looking forward to your mod.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”