Anegawa Terrain Set now available

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Anegawa Terrain Set now available

Post by Paul59 »

If you only want to modify the textures, you will need to find the TEXTURE@.DDS and TEXTURE_M@DDS files. They are located in the Slitherine/Sengokou Jidai/Data/Objects/Japan folder. They can be modified using a graphics editor, such as Photoshop etc.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:No. s3f/s4f files are 3D data. The textures are included in them - you can read them in plain text when you open the file. The textures are DDS or TGA files which can be edited with a number of plugins.

Cheers

Pip
Not sure if I understand any of this correctly so please bear with me.

Can you elaborate on the plugins and what they can actually do? Where can I get them?

Regards,

Henry
urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

Paul59 wrote:If you only want to modify the textures, you will need to find the TEXTURE@.DDS and TEXTURE_M@DDS files. They are located in the Slitherine/Sengokou Jidai/Data/Objects/Japan folder. They can be modified using a graphics editor, such as Photoshop etc.

cheers

Paul
Modifying textures meaning changing colors etc. without changing the actual shape of the object? If so, that would be better than nothing, surely, and enough for turning a few P&S oaks into red momichi trees. But obviously not enough for palm trees. Or stilt houses, Burmese pagodas, war elephants, war camels..

I managed to open .s4f files with a hex editor and.. the kind of stuff I have nightmares about. What can a regular gamer, military history enthusiast and an artistic soul like myself realistically achieve? Without ending up with alzadine medication and a straight jacket afterwards, that is.

Cheers!

Henry
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Hi Henry,

I've been experimenting with the terrain colours again. I've found a cool way to add in some detail to the base terrain tiles that improves the look quite a bit. What do you think of this new set for Northern China? Is it too dark? Is the shade of yellow OK?

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

The natural steppe in Inner Mongolia can be more of less of that color, perhaps a bit lighter + more yellowish. It depends on the season, the grass ranging from fresh green to brownish. I'd say the current SJ green is a good average color for those parts. Or P&S green.I´ve been told there´s very little snow in winter up there but usually some.

The huge Huang he valley - the real heart of Han China - is different. Google "Yellow River flood" for a number of good examples of the color. Or "Gobi desert, that´s where the loess comes from. Can you change the color of waterways into the same light khaki (including all canals and irrigation ditches)? That would be a great touch of local color. Or just about anything else for that matter.. Rural China is a very dusty place.

It seems I can presently only repaint existing textures but I can try that and see if it makes a difference. Will start with a few village buildings, I think. Where ever there was a battle in old China there was also a few dusty villages.

Henry
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Here is the set above but a little yellower and a little brighter, as you suggest;

I Googled the yellow river flood, and to my tired old eyes it looks a bit more reddish to me, so I quickly did this set;

Which do you prefer?

I think I could make the rivers the same colour, but I would not be able to stop the flowing effect, presumably that is ok as the river water is the same muddy colour?

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

No 2 I think.. it´s less green. Even more light khaki? Then my old eyes can´t be better than yours. Seriously. Without glasses I can barely tell my wife from the cat. Luckily she makes more noise, helps a lot.. ANY of your creations is fine for one place or another , Northern China is a very big place.The trick is to find a good average to suit most locations, I guess.

I remember using the art program eye dropper to sample colors from saved online images. The color is never exactly right but it gives you a starting point. Not sure if this is practical here. What art program are you using? Can´t quite remember the flow effect in rivers, will check. I doubt you need to do anything about it. Yellow River, the Great Sorrow of China, can be very violent, breaching barriers, changing course, destroying entire cities, killing millions.. That´s why they built the 3 gorges dam there. The color would be more or less the same, perhaps a bit lighter, diluted by water.

Henry
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Thanks Henry,

I will go with set no 2 then, I have lightened it a bit and will release it soon. As far as I know the water colour is in the Texture@.dds file, which also gives the colours for the buildings and trees. I have not played about with the water colour before, but I will try it today if I get a chance.

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 for my graphical stuff. I have been using it for years and it is ancient, but it takes me a long time to get my head around a new graphics editor. I have a newer version of Photo Shop, but cannot understand it at all!

Cheers

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

urkki63
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urkki63 »

in the Texture@.dds file, which also gives the colours for the buildings and trees
For the buildings? Can you elaborate on that one? I think I understand what the 3D planes (that actually look like buildings) do but not really the rest of it.

Henry

PS. The ancient PSPs were great. I got one, too, but I´m not using it any more. I got a PS elements 8 freebie with my photo printer. It has extra features and it´s much better in editing photos.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

urkki63 wrote:
in the Texture@.dds file, which also gives the colours for the buildings and trees
For the buildings? Can you elaborate on that one? I think I understand what the 3D planes (that actually look like buildings) do but not really the rest of it.

Henry

PS. The ancient PSPs were great. I got one, too, but I´m not using it any more. I got a PS elements 8 freebie with my photo printer. It has extra features and it´s much better in editing photos.

If you have opened the Texture@.dds file you will see this;

Obviously the buildings relate to the textures used by the 3d buildings on the battlefield. The green, red and pink squares at the top colour the trees and shrubs. I always thought that the light blue coloured the water, but my recent testing proves that this is not the case. The water texture is actually the Sengoku Jidai/Data/Battle/Textures/reflection.dds file.

cheers

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”