Turn order : odd situation

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Hadral
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Turn order : odd situation

Post by Hadral »

I got 2 Later Teppo Ashigaru units, both in command range, both with 4 AP remaining. Here they are :

Unit 1

Unit 2

The first unit can turn 45° but the second cannot. Why ?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Turn order : odd situation

Post by rbodleyscott »

I guess it depends on what they did to get to that position. If they already made a move involving an overall 45 degree change of direction, they would not be able to make another turn.
Richard Bodley Scott

Hadral

Post by Hadral »

So it means the cost to make a 45° turn is not always 4 AP ? I tried to find some answer in the manual but maybe I missed something.

Edit :
I think I finally understand.

1) One unit was facing a diagonal square. The unit moved forward, which cost 6 AP out of 10. As it is command range, the unit can still make a free 45° turn.
2) The other unit was facing an orthogonal square. It used the free turn to face the diagonal square and move forward. It now has 4 AP left but cannot turn, because turning 45° or 90° cost 8 AP.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hadral wrote:So it means the cost to make a 45° turn is not always 4 AP ? I tried to find some answer in the manual but maybe I missed something.

Edit :
I think I finally understand.

1) One unit was facing a diagonal square. The unit moved forward, which cost 6 AP out of 10. As it is command range, the unit can still make a free 45° turn.
2) The other unit was facing an orthogonal square. It used the free turn to face the diagonal square and move forward. It now has 4 AP left but cannot turn, because turning 45° or 90° cost 8 AP.
Correct

A second 45 degree turn would cost 8 AP
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”