How to read ArmyList.txt

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Hadral
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

How to read ArmyList.txt

Post by Hadral »

I want to make a XLS file based on the ArmyList.txt so we can check how an army list looks like before selecting it.

If we open the Sengoku Jidai ArmyList.txt, we can see something like that :

UNIT_0 Mtd_Sam_Yumi_S_4_1
MIN_0 0
MAX_0 2

UNIT_1 Mtd_Sam_Yumi_S_6_1
MIN_1 1
MAX_1 3

UNIT_2 Mtd_Sam_Yumi_A_4_1
MIN_2 0
MAX_2 2

UNIT_3 Mtd_Sam_Yumi_A_6_1
MIN_3 1
MAX_3 3

So by selecting this list and turning the force composition to Auto, I will have between 0 to 2 "Mtd_Sam_Yumi_S_4_1". Obviously we are talking about Mounted Yumi Samurai unit. I guess that letters and numbers stand for unit strenght and quality, but am I correct ? What do letters and numbers mean ?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: How to read ArmyList.txt

Post by rbodleyscott »

Well they don't mean anything in a machine-readable way, they are just naming conventions used by Jayson. They are references to the unit names in the squads.csv file. You can see how the units are defined by looking at that.

S means superior, A means average. 6 means standard sized unit, 8 is large unit. (I could explain why, but it wouldn't help you).

The Min and Max are the minimum and maximum number of units in a 2000 point army, the actual number of units available scales with the number of points available.

What you propose seems a lot of work considering that you can view a list just by setting up a dummy skirmish.
Richard Bodley Scott

Hadral

Post by Hadral »

rbodleyscott wrote: S means superior, A means average. 6 means standard sized unit, 8 is large unit. (I could explain why, but it wouldn't help you).

The Min and Max are the minimum and maximum number of units in a 2000 point army, the actual number of units available scales with the number of points available.
Thanks you very much !

Do you know how the AI selects the unit when building an army ? Is it purely random ? I do not need the details ;)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hadral wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote: S means superior, A means average. 6 means standard sized unit, 8 is large unit. (I could explain why, but it wouldn't help you).

Thanks you very much !

Do you know how the AI selects the unit when building an army ? Is it purely random ? I do not need the details ;)
Yes, random, with the random numbers modified according to the availability in the list.
Richard Bodley Scott

ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

So, it still should be good to know exactly how are those army lists without having to guess from so many repeted tries.
I think the devs should easilly spare us this work.
Army books pdfs don't tell the differences.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

My naming convention as Richard states.
A is average
S is superior
4 or 6, etc. number of bases (tabletop terms)
Last digit is variant number (so that I can have multiple textures)

These point to a specific unit line in Squads.csv.
Don’t create a new one in the text file.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”