is this game worse than pike and shot?

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

is this game worse than pike and shot?

Post by jnpoint »

In Steam the reviews of this game is worse than those of Pike and Shot. Is this game not as good as Pike and Shot or what is wrong since it's rated lower? It is the newest game and should have some advantage over Pike and Shot. I am looking at this one or Pike and Shot, but in fact I'm most interested in this game, although I'm not sure if I should buy it with only 71% positive ratings.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: is this game worse than pike and shot?

Post by zakblood »

most make there own mind up and don't read what a odd steam reviewer puts, unless you know a given person or reviewer from another game you have or like, i wouldn't take much notice of them tbh

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=73372

or a twitch feed or video may make more sense if your on the fence

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuFrrTwPtHg&list=PL_OljWwpy7h_OH2JEjCTJMJQT-yQdjR3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYGzkHnaPlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuFrrTwPtHg

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sengoku-jidai-shadow-of-the-shogun
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Really, they're both fantastic games. Get whichever setting interests you more. You'll probably get addicted and end up with both anyway.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

jnpoint wrote:In Steam the reviews of this game is worse than those of Pike and Shot. Is this game not as good as Pike and Shot or what is wrong since it's rated lower? It is the newest game and should have some advantage over Pike and Shot. I am looking at this one or Pike and Shot, but in fact I'm most interested in this game, although I'm not sure if I should buy it with only 71% positive ratings.
They are based on exactly the same tabletop rules and use the same game engine. So in this sense they are very similar.

What is different is that Pike&Shot is about European armies and Sengoku is about Japanese, Korean, Manchu and Mongol armies of this period.

In short: treat Sengoku and Pike&Shot as you would two sourcebooks for a single gaming system. You will either like the game system and thus like both POike and Sengoku, or you won't like the system and you will dislike both games as a result. I have no idea why one would rate P&S higher than SJ:SoS.

Make a decision based on whether you find European or Asian armies more interesting for you - an issue of personal taste that's all.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Thanks for your time. I think I'll go with this one :)
RodyMetal
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by RodyMetal »

They are both excellent games of the same amazing engine, I like P&S because I like European history more, however SJ has additional system of C-n-C where generals matter, also the art work and atmosphere is fitting the period and the theme marvelously.

I do not see exactly why the steam review is lower of SJ, but my guess is the Japanese theme attracted a lot of "japan fans gamers" who are not familiar with Matrix games/ true wargames/ tabletops games, and they got rather disappointed due to lack of super graphics/ animation or anime/ manga art style.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

SJ is better in several ways, Generals, Command & Control, overhead shooting. Love the music and the sets.P&S has many many free scenarios available from a group of absolutely brilliant Modders where as little has been done for SJ in this regard.
Being a tabletop wargamer since the last ice age I find both games are brilliant to play as they simulate the Field of Glory Ancients & Renaissance games beautifully.
The big + for me is the Multi Player (MP) aspect, just love playing other gamers.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

RodyMetal wrote: got rather disappointed due to lack of super graphics/ animation
No, just the lack of decent ones. I was very disappointed that the game does not show better the units, it removes immersion.
In battles, OTAN symbols would be only slightly worse.
Happy the game has other things to give.
MaxDamage
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MaxDamage »

Warlord wrote:SJ is better in several ways, Generals, Command & Control, overhead shooting. Love the music and the sets.P&S has many many free scenarios available from a group of absolutely brilliant Modders where as little has been done for SJ in this regard.
Being a tabletop wargamer since the last ice age I find both games are brilliant to play as they simulate the Field of Glory Ancients & Renaissance games beautifully.
The big + for me is the Multi Player (MP) aspect, just love playing other gamers.
I can easily live without any command control in a wargame. It is pretty marginal in most wargames and just boils down to "keep commander behind your troops close". An annoyance to say the least.

What is interesting is how the new overhead shooting system has changed the game in comparison to PS.
entropyembrace
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by entropyembrace »

ERISS wrote:
RodyMetal wrote: got rather disappointed due to lack of super graphics/ animation
No, just the lack of decent ones. I was very disappointed that the game does not show better the units, it removes immersion.
In battles, OTAN symbols would be only slightly worse.
Happy the game has other things to give.
I enjoy the art style since it's strongly inspired by period artistic depictions of battles.

I find the animations in games like the Total War series to be immersion breaking since they're often so unrealistic.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

It's best to get all the DLC for Sengoku to try all the different armies and campaigns. Not many games have Mongols, Chinese, Korean and Japanese armies to try.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Don't forget the Tibetans! Their army plays very uniquely.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
gomezj
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by gomezj »

SnuggleBunnies wrote:Don't forget the Tibetans! Their army plays very uniquely.
Yea very uniquely.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”