Gempei Kassen, a new DLC for Sengoku Jidai!

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Gempei Kassen, a new DLC for Sengoku Jidai!

Post by AlbertoC »

1180 AD, Japan. Two warrior clans have quarrelled for decades over dominance of the Imperial Court: the Taira and the Minamoto. Following the abdication of Emperor Takakura, the Taira have seized power, but the Minamoto aren’t willing to accept the new situation…

Gempei Kassen is a DLC for Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun and it brings you to an era 300 years before the Sengoku Jidai period, covering one of the biggest conflicts in medieval Japan which ended with the Shoguns in power.

It features a brand new dynamic campaign representing the brutal struggle between the Taira and Minamoto clans, set in an entirely different era!

The expansion to Sengoku Jidai also comes with six factions that are playable in skirmish mode and several improvements, such as a new model for the Raw Naginata unit, a brand new Ashigaru texture, and new army lists!

Gempei Kassen is coming soon on PC!
Stay tuned for further news!
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Gempei Kassen, a new DLC for Sengoku Jidai!

Post by FroBodine »

Hello - doesn't this expansion come with any new pre-made battles? Just the dynamic campaign and some more army lists?
Turtler
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Turtler »

Well, the period is a welcome bit of flavor and I look forward to it.

HOWEVER: I noticed two things. One which is minor, one of which is definitely not.

First: That Bloody Map Again. If we're going to have the vast majority of stuff regarding the campaigns take place in Central Japan, is it too much to ask that there is at least some variation and color to it?

It's just one of my hearty pet peeves.

But it's not the bigger one. Oh No. That comes from the history nerding. And I quote:
Join the pro-imperial forces that aim to preserve the ancient imperial system which, in turn, can be manipulated for their own benefit. Or join the anti-imperial revolution to replace the corrupted imperial system with strict military rule. The fate of this war will shape the future of the land of the Rising Sun.
*Turtler Facedesks.*

I am sorry, but.... No. Just NO.

Let's talk about the pure game function: Would Yoshinaka's faction count as "Pro-Imperial" in this logic or "Anti-Imperial"?

And why?

And beyond that, take a look at the way it jams up the interface in that. Having "Taira (Pro-Imp)" spelled out in the campaign map just makes it crammed. I can only imagine what it must look like with the Minamoto (or rather "Minamoto (Anti-Imp)".

But now let's talk about the actual history.

This isn't the Wars of the Renaissance (where the Habsburg Imperium(s) was one of the primary sides), the Nanboku-Chou (which did happen in this general time and tech period and setting), or the Boshin War where this designation would make actual Sense. The Taira were not "Pro-Imperial" in any meaningful sense beyond the fact that they had control of the imperial capitol at the time and had managed to put a puppet emperor with their bloodline on the throne, in a move that actually ALIENATED most people who could be called "Pro-Imperial." Hence why the Minamoto Rising was triggered by the actual heir apparent to the throne, and why Cloistered Emperor Go-Shirakawa spent more time with the Minamoto than he did with the Taira.

The Taira were not "Pro-Imperial" so much as they were "Pro-Emperor (sitting onthe throne at the time, because of Taira court maneuvers)". Which considering he was their heir apparent meant the Taira were basically (and unsurprisingly) Pro-Themselves. Likewise with the Minamoto. So in short, it involves more clutter on the screen and more effort typing it out *in exchange for being less accurate.* This is a Bad Situation.

Now, if this DLC also included-say- the Late Kamakura conflicts such as the Genko war between the Emperor and the Shogunate, or the Nanboku-Chou where the South Court fought the Ashikaga Shogunate. THERE the descriptions of factions as Pro or Anti Imperial would be decent-ish reflections of reality, and the latter in particular strike me as a promising material for a SJ:SotS campaign. But to have the Gempei described as this is just...bizarre to me.

So my two cents.
GShock112

Post by GShock112 »

The campaign system is a gold mine for a battle system such as this one: AWESOME.

If the DLC is sold at a reasonable price, this campaign can only add flavor but I think the BIG part of the game has yet to be built: diplomacy, treason, events and player choices at the political/economical level, secret operations and in the case of the Gempei War naval battles... a true multiplayer campaign with DEEP interactions is what this game really really needs.

It's basically all the things you would expect by a campaign as opposed to individual battles. The game concept are all-around perfect for its original goal. I am 100% behind this DLC choice but there comes a time to rethink about a new CORE for this battle system and that's the campaign... which means the campaignS: all of them.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I'm doing the Taira-Minamoto war now with me as Minamoto. It's a good scrap with some wins & losses.
The computer is quite lethal at pinning & flanking and then repositioning units immediately for new attacks after smashing my units. I can win battles as long as I'm not much outnumbered but only with careful attention.

A nice way to play this game is do a few battles in this Gempei Kassen campaign, then play Total War Shogun 2 afterwards so you get operational war and then tactical.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”