Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun Features

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun Features

Post by Daniele »

Hi All,

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a beautiful wargame set in the late XVI century Japan. This is without doubt a period characterized by intense internal struggles and instability. The whole country was plagued by constant military and political conflicts, escalating quickly in an open civil war.

Made by a former modder of Pike and Shot: Campaigns, this title is a pure fresh air in the wargaming experience. The game’s intent is to reproduce with high fidelity the Japanese Way-of-War of that time, thanks to an efficient UI and deep gameplay.

The game is still in Beta but is progressing very fast, and we have created this page to offer the best place where discuss about this amazing title.

Click on the screenshots to enlarge them
Image Image Image

So, to start in the best way, let's take a look once more to the game's features.

Accurate simulation of East Asian battle in the 16th and 17th centuries, particularly the Sengoku Jidai (Japanese Warring States period) and Imjin War (Japanese invasion of Korea and Chinese intervention).

Unique graphic style influenced by Japanese paintings.

Historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period

• Campaign mode allows you to rewrite history as you play through key campaigns of the era. Terrain, manpower, supply, attrition, sieges and economic damage all need to be taken into account. The decisions you make on the strategic map will affect the forces available to you in battle. The results of each battle will have long-term effects on the strength, experience and elan of your units.

• Classic Turn-based, tile based gameplay.

Easy to use interface, hard to master gameplay.

• Battalion-sized units.

Named generals who can influence combat and morale of units under their command as well as engage enemy generals in personal combat.

• Single player and multiplayer battle modes.

Skirmish system allows unlimited “what-if” scenarios using historically realistic armies from carefully researched army lists, on realistic computer generated terrain maps. Armies covered include numerous Japanese clans, Ikko Ikki, Wokou Pirates, Joseon Korean, Ming Chinese, Chinese and Tribal rebels, Eastern and Western Mongols, Jurchen and Imperial Manchu (Qing Chinese) armies. Each faction has multiple lists covering the development of their armies through the 16th and 17th centuries.

Skirmish scenarios are randomly generated and include open battle, attack on a defensive position, defence of a defensive position, awaiting reinforcements, enemy awaiting reinforcements, flank march.

• In skirmishes players can pick their armies from the army list or allow the computer to pick the army for them.

• Effective AI makes sound tactical decisions. Historical battle AI customised to the historical tactical situation.

6 difficulty levels allow the challenge to increase as you develop your battlefield skills.

Numerous different unit organisations, combat capabilities and tactical doctrines allow full representation of tactical differences and developments through the period.

Mod friendly game system with built-in map editor.

Multiplayer mode allows historical scenarios and “what-if” scenarios to be played by two players using Slitherine’s easy to use PBEM server.
Grauenacht
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun Features

Post by Grauenacht »

This looks amazing, one of my favorite time periods with a great and solid looking gameplay...and turn based is what I prefer nowadays, so bring it on.
Zipuli
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Zipuli »

Generals and campaings look good. The time period is also interesting. Hopefully the armies don't go the Shogun: Total War way, with emphasis on number of unit types to make it interesting vs. historical accuracy.
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

Longing for this but I still hope to get some new brand (and Sengoku era specific) campaing feature, maybe after release, even as dlc. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

This looks really fabulous. :D I enjoy the Total War Shogun game, but I will be getting this one as well. I prefer turn-based games now as I struggle a bit with the speed of real time battles.
RFC

Post by RFC »

Really looking forward to this product. Hope the campaign game is more complex than in Pike & Shot. Expecting big things from this one :mrgreen:
robertahyuk
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by robertahyuk »

The game loads quickly and is fun. But I did notice that the mouse scrolling and movement slows down some and is kind of notchy. Kind of skips around and is hard to place. Only here and there though. Odd.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

robertahyuk wrote:The game loads quickly and is fun. But I did notice that the mouse scrolling and movement slows down some and is kind of notchy. Kind of skips around and is hard to place. Only here and there though. Odd.
Are you talking about v1 or the new version 2 that came out yesterday? V1 had some debug code in it that was logging a lot of information in the background, which significantly impacts performance. Hopefully v2 should be a lot better in this regard.
Richard Bodley Scott

robertahyuk

Post by robertahyuk »

I just downloaded V2 yesterday the 15th. It get's really slow and it's hard to get the cursor in place. Sometimes it works really smooth but most of the time it's slow and notchy.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Please open a new thread with your system specs so we can dig in further - thanks!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
robertahyuk

Post by robertahyuk »

ASUS MS Windows 7 Home Premium ,64 bit SP1 ,AMD Phenom II X4920 processor, 4.0 GB Ram ,ATI Radeon HD 4200. Every other game I've bought from your company works just fine. Like the game, just the problem with the cursor not moving right. The slow downs come and go.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds most likely to be a logging issue. Should be fixed in the next beta.

Cheers

Pip
robertahyuk

Post by robertahyuk »

Excellent ! After going through the three tutorials, it doesn't do it as often but still does. Really like the game. Great battles and the graphics are OK. It would be nice if you could get in a little closer during the battles but it's fine. Gameplay overall is good and it loads saved games easy. Thank you.
Hagakure0xyz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Hagakure0xyz »

Hi, I have already subscribe to the beta, please give me access. :wink:
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

How do I download the game to be a test player? Looks great!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

you need to sign up and be accepted first to be given access
smjohnso77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by smjohnso77 »

Will this be available on iPad?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

unknown as of yet

http://www.slitherine.com/coming_soon

as no announcements
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are no plans for an iPad release.

Cheers

Pip
robertahyuk

Post by robertahyuk »

I have version 1.2.1 . Is that the newest beta version?

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”