An undo feature/button?

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

An undo feature/button?

Post by ycloon »

I've played a few battles and noticed that there doesn't seem to be an undo feature/button. To be precise, I am only referring to an undo feature for unit moves in a scenario; I am not referring to an undo feature for undoing a combat outcome. Am I correct or have I missed something? If there isn't such an undo feature for moves, I hope the devs will consider including one in the next update. Veteran players may not need it, but I find the undo feature to be quite useful in helping me plan my moves. Thanks.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An undo feature/button?

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Any move always has the possibility to give information to the player, which is why they are generally not implemented.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

I suggest making an undo capability a choice for the player rather than a hardwired feature. Let players choose whether they want to play with or without an undo capability. I can see the "realism" benefit of not allowing undos, but players do mis-click and there should be a way to allow them to recover from that. In any case, I'm not sure the exclusion of an undo feature will really guard against the kind of 'cheating' that you described. One could always save the game prior to a move, try the move and if that doesn't work out, load the save. By not allowing an undo capability, you make the game mechanic less forgiving without actually deterring certain behaviors. Lose-lose in my view.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

We have implemented an Undo feature for our next game (Field of Glory II), but in order to do so we had to make significant changes to game flow. In particular we had to remove reactive fire.

This is because reactive fire has a test to see whether the unit will fire or not. (Otherwise the unit would always fire as soon as the enemy is in range, rather than "waiting to see the whites of their eyes".) Higher quality units are less likely than Raw ones to fire prematurely at a worse target - at long range or out of full arc.

If there was an Undo button, not only would Undo have to be made impossible if reactive fire is actually received, but also if it might have been received. Otherwise you could "hokey-kokey" with a unit that is at long range and/or out of full arc, to draw the enemy fire. If they don't fire, Undo, repeat, until they do. Then you can, with perfect safety, move the unit directly in front of the enemy that would have otherwise received the full force of a close-range full-arc volley.

This is just one of the reasons why an effective implementation of an Undo feature would require the whole game system to be re-organised to suit it. That is why we are unlikely to add it to Sengoku Jidai or Pike and Shot, even though we have it in Field of Glory II, and plan to have it in all our future games.
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Shooting (and reactive fire) is very important in this era more than ancient times.
Delbruck
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Delbruck »

Personally, I think accidental clicks are a good simulation of the chaos in battle.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I prefer reaction fire to an undo button.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

second that.
Reactive fire seems more realistic to me.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Delbruck wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm Personally, I think accidental clicks are a good simulation of the chaos in battle.
Well said, totally agree. I make many errors due to the 'chaos of battle' myself.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”