Basically an Armageddon Empires remake?

Last Days of Old Earth is a turn-based strategy game set on a dying world and featuring tense tactical battles between two vastly different armies.
Bullman
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Basically an Armageddon Empires remake?

Post by Bullman »

I understand that this game is touted as a spiritual successor to AE by Cryptic Comet but is there really anything different about it as far as mechanics?
is the guy from Cryptic Comet who designed the AE system/game being compensated/acknowledged for what really his his own idea?
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Basically an Armageddon Empires remake?

Post by Rosseau »

CC's AE has a huge learning curve (imo). I bought it back in 2007 whatever, and still don't have the patience to go through the manual, which is crammed with unusual concepts that really require study. The new game is sort of the opposite in terms of complexity, but I'm sure will be better after it leaves EA.
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

Rosseau wrote:CC's AE has a huge learning curve (imo). I bought it back in 2007 whatever, and still don't have the patience to go through the manual, which is crammed with unusual concepts that really require study. The new game is sort of the opposite in terms of complexity, but I'm sure will be better after it leaves EA.
Disagree about huge learning curve and unusual concepts. I too bought AE back when and the add ons. I think all the Cryptic Comet games are awesome and I have most of them. They have a kind of "boardgame"/"card game" feel about them and the mechanics and concepts are what make the games, not fancy 3D animations.

I can't see/don't understand how LDoOE can be a "less complex" game than AE and be better. AE was not complex, it was just clever in design.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

This is a game deserving a paper manual, or a 2nd monitor while learning the game...
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I still have AE and the expansion, so will attempt it one day. The Hell-oriented game demo seems so simple, but I just didn't get the concept. Too used to "simple" games like World in Flames I guess :wink:

Return to “Last Days of Old Earth”