Last Days of Old Earth announced!

Last Days of Old Earth is a turn-based strategy game set on a dying world and featuring tense tactical battles between two vastly different armies.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Last Days of Old Earth announced!

Post by Shards »

Last Days of Old Earth is an upcoming turn-based strategy game set on a dying world and featuring tense tactical battles between two vastly different armies.

Features
• Explore the frost-covered ruins of the far future, discovering settlements and ruined cities, as well as satellites and space stations that have crashed back down to Earth. Discover and exploit resources to build your armies and defeat your opponents.
• Play as the Skywatchers Clan, the last inheritors of the once-great human legacy, or as the mysterious Automata, the robotic sentinels created by a vanished civilization for an unknown purpose - two different factions with very different play-styles.
• Build your own customized army from 30 unique units: tough Northwalk Veteran infantry, ancient Bearcat Landship tanks, the city-sized VN Walker mecha and many more.
• Use terrain to your advantage! Climb hills and mountains to gain increased line of sight, and hide in forests and ruins to shield your forces from attack.
• Fight your opponent’s army in thrilling turn-based battles, where smart tactics and clever deployment can tilt the odds, even against foes with superior numbers.
• Deploy 24 unique heroes to lead your armies with powerful game-twisting special abilities.
• Over 60 special abilities to attach to your heroes and units. Combine them within your armies to discover the best synergies for your play style.
• A skirmish mode that uses a randomly-generated map system, offering a different theatre of war every single game.
• Challenging but fair AI opponents.
• A rich multiplayer offering, to take the hard-earned skills from single player, into the online arena.

The Fight for a Dying Sun
There is no space for defeat. Defeat means death on the battlefield or the end of our search for the last rays of a dying sun. We must escape the bitter, glacial wasted lands of Northwalk and find a new home. A new future.
Last Days of Old Earth is a turn-based strategy game set in a far future world where the sun is dying. The remnants of humanity must migrate once a generation towards the equator where it is still warm enough to sustain life.
Spiritual successor to the cult classic PC game Armageddon Empires, Last Days of Old Earth invites you to become the leader of the human Skywatchers or the robotic Automata, two fundamentally opposed factions. In a hostile environment, where natural resources are almost depleted, you must fight your way to survive for one more turn. With scarcity goes rivalry, and only the law of the wild applies in this icy and desolate world.

Development Plan
In addition to the core game, we're also planning these Major Updates:

• The introduction of Stealth, which will add sabotage, assassination, and more to the game. Infiltrate enemy bases with new units and heroes to sabotage key facilities and disrupt your opponent's best-laid plans. Then deploy Sentinel units to uncover the enemy's own hidden forces.
• Full deck-building mode, to select precisely which cards you want to bring to the fight. Tailor decks around your favourite units and heroes, then take on opponents both online and off.
• Air Strike, Anti-Air Defence, and Air Recon abilities: new gameplay mechanics and 4 brand new units join the fight, bringing exciting new tactical possibilities!
• Introducing a full, story-driven, mission-based single player campaign, revealing more about the Skywatchers and their desperate struggle for survival against the Automata.

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Last Days of Old Earth announced!

Post by zakblood »

first impression is it's a Battle Academy / Hell type engine used, as maps are small?

what's the biggest maps size?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi zakblood. Last Days of Old Earth is being developed in Unity with Auroch's own engine.

The current largest map sizes are 324 hexes which gives a big conflict with multiple fronts to cover. This isn't a fixed number though and may change between now and release.

Thanks!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

seems i can't add up either :lol:
Last edited by zakblood on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

zakblood_slith wrote:so 24 squared, ok thanks, that a good size :wink:
Sorry, the strategy map will be 18 hexes by 18 hexes? (324 squared?) That seems absurdly small!

The orginal Armegeddon Empires had several factions, but appears we are limited to two.... any indies or mutant tribes to deal with?

The graphics, hmm, cross between legos and Tron? :mrgreen: Maybe thats a little harsh and I can see how they could grow on you .... Doesnt convey post apocolyptic world. Its too slick and "clean".

I like how the venue has changed from the atypical desert wasteland future to a frozen one :)
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

jesus i'm bad at maths :roll: :wink:

:lol:
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

zakblood_slith wrote:jesus i'm bad at maths :roll: :wink:

:lol:
I used all my fingers and toes to get that one right. Hopefully the developer meant 324 hexes on the xy axis, and not total hexes.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
zakblood_slith wrote:so 24 squared, ok thanks, that a good size :wink:
Sorry, the strategy map will be 18 hexes by 18 hexes? (324 squared?) That seems absurdly small!

The orginal Armegeddon Empires had several factions, but appears we are limited to two.... any indies or mutant tribes to deal with?

The graphics, hmm, cross between legos and Tron? :mrgreen: Maybe thats a little harsh and I can see how they could grow on you .... Doesnt convey post apocolyptic world. Its too slick and "clean".

I like how the venue has changed from the atypical desert wasteland future to a frozen one :)
Hi! Good maths! Trust me, you'll be pleasantly surprised how much fits into that size of space. If you played AE you'll remember that it's "normal" size map was only 108 hexes! Also, AE had 2 factions at launch :)

For the visual style, this all stems from the setting moving from the usual atomic irradiated wasteland to the slowly freezing shell of a formerly great world. This world wasn't lost to war, but to time and entropy.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Thanks for the reply Shards. Per one of the screenies, it does appear that once a battle is fought, units ( and presumably cards) are played in tactical mode to resolve.
I will follow this with interest as Im a sucker for post apoc type games. Would love to see some sort of PC version of Car Wars one day ( with caveat it must be 2d top down and turn based, or perhaps worst case wego)

Cheers!
Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. »

I'm a fan of Armageddon Empires, got it during a Humble Bundle Sale, so I'm looking forward to this title. The only think that rubs me off the wrong way is the background story. Since it's complete bullshit, as in reality it's exactly the opposite of what you are telling.

A star gets hotter as it get older, and in case of our sun, she will get so hot and that life on Earth becomes unsubstantial long before she even becomes an "elder star" and turns into red giant that will eventual shallow earth. +/- 1 billion years from now. So instead of your version with Earth freezing over it will turn into a dry desert planet. More Tatooine than Hoth.
Also it's rather instant once a star shutdowns not gradually. (For thta purpose I'm ignoring the phase of instability as a star shrinks and expands again when it switch to fusion higher elements, which makes the star even hotter). Because if the energy output of the fusion process can no longer counter the gravitational pressure the star collapse immediately. Depending to the size of the star the whole process of collapsing may take minutes to a few hours, but certainly not years. In case of small star like the sun likely less than 8 minutes.
Then however you could rename the game Last Days of old Titan. Since when the Sun turns into a red giant and grows in size also the habitable zones around the Sun moves outward. There is a possibility that the Saturn moon Titan with it complex weather system become habitability for life. Since the Sun don't have enough mass to blow up in a supernova at the end, Titan will survive when the Sun shutdown, expelling her outer layers of gas and exposing the central star core commonly called a White Dwarf. Which will shine for tens of billions of years as it cool down. The heat coming from the White Dwarf is then of course only a tiny fraction what it was before. So Titan will freeze over again. The expelled Sun atmosphere gas could provide some heat as it pass by. Though it will likely also blow Titans atmosphere into space if the magnetic field of Saturn is not strong enough to protect Titan form this massive ion bombardment.

Sorry for the wall text, but I grew up with an Astronaut living next house. So I somewhat into this stuff since I was a little kid.
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

Why do you want big maps anyways? Nobody ever finishes a large map game. I want small like 10x10 and everything happening in the beginning. I don't want to wade through turn after turn just to get to the point it's going to take hours or days lo finish a game like say in Distant Worlds. Being able to set ones on parameters would be even better. Let the masochists play their monster games if they want to but I prefer less and small maps. Some of the best games I ever played against AI were on small maps.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The star is not getting hotter for natural reasons, which is why things dont happen as you are expecting. I don't know the story yet as its a secret but the team assure me it all makes sense! :)
Frankly21
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Frankly21 »

Last day on earth is now available on appnaz com

Return to “Last Days of Old Earth”