First Impressions

DS: Upcoming Roman turn based strategy game for the Nintendo handheld!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

scarfacetarraff
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

First Impressions

Post by scarfacetarraff »

I've had a chance to play a bit this afternoon, and I really like what I'm seeing. For those who have played the GOT-type Slitherine games, the game is very similar. There is no zoom feature for the map, at least not one I've found yet. However, it doesn't seem to be a hindrance. Also, the economic system has been simplified a great deal. There seem to be only 3 resources: food, stone, and wood. The market and other facilities provide economic bonuses as trade. Of course, I haven't played long enough yet to get a feel for how well this plays out.

Very happy.

Note: The game is for the Nintendo DS only.
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Great - glad you like it!
scarfacetarraff

The mini-games are fun, but fwiw, I'd rather have room to save additional games. Having only one game file at a time limits gameplay.
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

I simplified resource system is a good thing imo, handheld games should nog have the same amount of depth as their pc counterparts.
How is the battle system btw? is there any ?

By the way, I have not yet seen any reviews on the net, it may be a bit to much asked..... But could you write a sort of revies for us?
scarfacetarraff

I am finding the game surprisingly difficult. I was over-run early in a game set on medium difficulty. In a current game set to easy I find the AI does go on the offensive, unlike in the desktop versions of these games. In those it seemed the AI would only attack at hard or higher.
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

Thats good news in my opnion

Btw, are there different maps and such? Or just one big one? Which factions are included and how is the variaty between them ?
scarfacetarraff

Surtur wrote:Thats good news in my opnion

Btw, are there different maps and such? Or just one big one? Which factions are included and how is the variaty between them ?
There are several maps specific to each scenario, such as Gaul, Britain, Italy, Germania, etc. There are up to 20 playable factions in most of the scenarios, I think.
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

Sounds good! And how is the diplomacy? similar to GoT?
scarfacetarraff

Surtur wrote:Sounds good! And how is the diplomacy? similar to GoT?
No ambassadors to send, or have expelled, or have murdered. It's more fluid in this sense.

Give/request tribute
Alliances
Peace/war

I haven't had a "that's dumb" response yet to the model.
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

Good thing leaving the ambassadors out I think. Realy cant wait to play this myself :)
Have you finnished a campaign already ? :P
scarfacetarraff

Surtur wrote:Good thing leaving the ambassadors out I think. Realy cant wait to play this myself :)
Have you finnished a campaign already ? :P
No, not yet. I generally play the DS in the evening as I wind down, telly playing, kids jumping around the room, etc. I need a good trip/hotel stay for some serious DS play. That, or have my wife's family over to visit. ;)
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

Ahh I see
Well, I am the young one myself here so they don't bother me, there will be some long gamingsessions when I get my hands on this game.
So what campaign are you playing now? How far have you progressed and did you learn some good strats already ?
Seleukos
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Seleukos »

I got the game last Saturday. I'm really enjoying it. :) Well, no question it seems to be Legion shrunk to handheld proportions but just the thing for playing with the headphones on alongside my wife on the couch while she watches dull TV programs about interior decorating, etc. It seems satisfactory to her that I'm there in body even if mentally I'm off battling the Etruscans. :wink:

One thing about the diplomatic model. Now that I've conquered much of central Italy the rest of the peninsula [quite understandably] seems to hate my Roman guts. The manual advises softening up other territories for an alliance offer by offering tribute first. No matter how many times I've tried that it I always get the message, "you have nothing to offer that they want". My civilization has over double the amount of cities of any competitors, it's hard to believe they contain nothing of value to my more barbaric neighbors.
CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CustodianV131 »

Seleukos wrote:I got the game last Saturday. I'm really enjoying it. :) Well, no question it seems to be Legion shrunk to handheld proportions but just the thing for playing with the headphones on alongside my wife on the couch while she watches dull TV programs about interior decorating, etc. It seems satisfactory to her that I'm there in body even if mentally I'm off battling the Etruscans. :wink:
I know that situation! Shame its almost never the other way around. Watching a great program about the war with the Etruscans while she plays the Sims or so on her DS. We don't have a "mass" taste I guess. Quite glad for that! :D
Seleukos wrote:One thing about the diplomatic model. Now that I've conquered much of central Italy the rest of the peninsula [quite understandably] seems to hate my Roman guts. The manual advises softening up other territories for an alliance offer by offering tribute first. No matter how many times I've tried that it I always get the message, "you have nothing to offer that they want". My civilization has over double the amount of cities of any competitors, it's hard to believe they contain nothing of value to my more barbaric neighbors.
Might it be that by the time you started offering the gifts they already hated you to much. I don't think the Germans could have given anything to the English in 1942 to make them like them any better. Not sure it works that way in GE:R, but I know that in Civilization there's a point in your relation with other nations where you are so on their bad side you can't make them like you anymore. Which for gameplay reasons makes a lot of sense and sadly we see that all the time in RL also. In GE:R I think the scale will be hidden ie you don't see the pluses and minuses, but it will still be there.

Anyone completed a campaign? How did you like it?
manuelmurillorosado
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by manuelmurillorosado »

I have been playing enough time and have found a topic that does not leave me to advance. In the battles between armies, always there are hurts. If an army does not recover between battles, it loses capacity of it fights. But in the cities, though a city is attacked in several occasions it does not suffer.

Come to the point in which all the cities possess powerful armies, it is practically impossible to conquer them though itis attacked in several occasions.

This does that in a moment, the game died. :cry:
scarfacetarraff

manuelmurillorosado wrote:I have been playing enough time and have found a topic that does not leave me to advance. In the battles between armies, always there are hurts. If an army does not recover between battles, it loses capacity of it fights. But in the cities, though a city is attacked in several occasions it does not suffer.

Come to the point in which all the cities possess powerful armies, it is practically impossible to conquer them though itis attacked in several occasions.

This does that in a moment, the game died. :cry:
You may need to surround such a city with several large armies and attack one after another, so the garrisoned army does not get a turn to heal.
manuelmurillorosado

Post by manuelmurillorosado »

Thank you,
But it is just what I tried. Three big armies, but the city did not lose capacity of it fights. I will turn it to trying (pardon for my English).

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Empires: Rome”