Can't get past launcher

edpfister
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Can't get past launcher

Post by edpfister »

Hi,

I tried to play the game the other day but couldn't. I looked on the forums and couldn't find a case that matches what I am seeing. Here is what happens.

When I open the shortcut the launcher opens. If I click on any button, nothing happens. The mouse spins and that's it. No errors or anything, nothing happens. I've waited in this state for maybe 5-10 mins at least once. I have tried at least 5 times and it always behaves the same. The only thing of note that happened was the first time I opened the game (or maybe it was when I pressed on a button) I was asked if I want to block cookies. I chose to allow them.

I am using Windows 10 and this is the Steam version. Not sure what else would be useful as the game didn't actually start (Nvidia 580, 16 Gigs memory).

I see you usually ask for the Fatal file. I do not have this, nor do I even have a Polaris Sector folder in My Games. Could it be somewhere else?

I have also tried setting the launcher to run as admin, and opened it directly from the install folder. Same result. If I try to open the game directly (I forget the exe name), it gives me some message about the serial number not being valid I believe. Sorry, not at my game computer at the moment so I can't give the exact messages.

Any ideas? Other than some really old games, I have no issues with anything else on this PC.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Re: Can't get past launcher

Post by Ufnv »

It looks like a problem with the installation - the launcher cannot find the game. The game itself seems to start when it is found, as you are able to run it and get the "invalid serial" message.
edpfister

Post by edpfister »

Thanks for responding.

I reinstalled the game and forgot to mention that I used verify game files from Steam previously. Same problem. I don't think there is anything wrong with the installation unless it is how I have my PC configured or something. My Steam installation is non-standard being on the D: and not in Program Files, could that be an issue?

When looking in the install folder I saw there was a shortcut called "RegisterYourGame". I thought maybe I could register the game manually and then call the main exe directly instead of using the launcher. When I try and use the Steam CD key on the site it says it is an invalid serial number. Should I be able to do this or are the keys for Steam different?
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

edpfister wrote:Thanks for responding.

I reinstalled the game and forgot to mention that I used verify game files from Steam previously. Same problem. I don't think there is anything wrong with the installation unless it is how I have my PC configured or something. My Steam installation is non-standard being on the D: and not in Program Files, could that be an issue?
Probably this can cause a problem, but I do not know for sure, as the Launcher is not my code - it's Slitherine's standard one. I'll ask somebody from Slitherine to check.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Try Step 1 and Step 2 of the following guide:
http://support.techland.pl/support/solu ... inistrator
edpfister

Post by edpfister »

I set Steam to run as admin, closed and reopened. PolarisSector.exe and autolauncher.exe were previously set to run as admin but I re-verified. I also did step 3 just in case (verify cache). The launcher still does not work. No difference from before, clicks are unresponsive and mouse cursor just spins.

I created a dump file while it was running from task manager. Would that help? Not sure how to get it to you.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please try to disable all background programs in case these are interfering with the normal running of the game.
You can do this by running msconfig and disabling all non-windows start-up programs and services (except the Steam ones).
Then once you have disabled all non-Microsoft services (except Steam), please run the game and see if the issue persists.
If it does not, please then reopen msconfig and reenable those services, one by one, until you find the program causing the problem.
A tutorial on how to do this can be found below:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... plications
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

BTW, is it possible to provide edpfister with Slitherine key, so he can start the game without Steam and launcher?
edpfister

Post by edpfister »

So there was an update for this game today (and Steam too I think) and the launcher is working as it should. Got into the game with no issues. Hopefully it was fixed on purpose and someone out there figured out the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and trying to help.

Return to “Tech Support”