Can't affect invaded planets.

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
longheart
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Can't affect invaded planets.

Post by longheart »

I have invaded a planet, but it is taking a bit too long to win or lose. I have about 5 spy vessels in orbit. I can't seem to make them do anything to the planet. I'd like to destroy enemy troops. This should be easy, especially since they are distracted by an entire invading enemy force.

Is this a bug? Will it be fixed it the future? I can't seem to do anything at all to invaded planets, so it's really rather annoying, and illogical.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Re: Can't affect invaded planets.

Post by Ufnv »

I never thought about helping invasion by spies while the invasion is in the progress. I'll try to add something, good idea, thanks!
solops
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by solops »

Ship in more troops. If my standard attack force of 8 transports, each with 5 troop landers, does not do the job, I send in a second or even third wave. I have even had to send 5 waves. Extreme cases take bombing. All of this requires prep. When I go on offense, I have one or two planets brimming with extra troops and producing more as fast as possible.
longheart
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by longheart »

Thank you. I personally prefer to use troop invasions more as a distraction.
When I see the enemy producing massive ground troops that I know I can never defeat, I have to stop them... somehow.
I don't want to bomb them since I don't like killing civilian/future citizens.
So, I send in 1 small transport with tanks or something after taking out what military bases I can. They land on the planet, and distract the factories so they stop production.
Then I start bringing in my slow spy ships... that take years to go from place to place.
Then, when the troops have all died, I then destroy all the factories from orbit... And slowly start whittling away at the troops via spy actions.
15 years later, the same 1 troop transport can drop 1 load of troops and take over the planet.

I personally think this is a nicer way to take over planets - My military units don't die as much. My populations can continue to vote for their benevolent leader.
Sadly, revolts often cause losses of planets, but I did try to free those people from the evil empire I declared war on.

It's a different play style for sure, and I'm not one to bring in enough troops to destroy 1000+ tanks, 1000+ bombers, 20000+ police/militia -- the absolute massive amount of troops I keep seeing oppressing these planets.
solops
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by solops »

Well then, there's your problem. I am pro-oppression. Oppression prevents genocide. There is no such thing as too much brutal force. And if they are so violently warlike that they build up their forces to unreasonable levels, then they are forcing me to bomb them...the warmongers. And I object to the overreaction the AI has to killing pop. Their unreasonable reaction simply forces me to do the same to them. Once several of the AIs are all over you for bombing, it is easier and faster to win by halting the production of troops and transports and start building bombers. That shortens the path to victory by an order of magnitude. The idiots FORCE you into a policy of genocide.
bobarossa
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by bobarossa »

I really hate the way bombings are handled in this game. Just about every Sci-Fi book shows ships selectively bombing troops and installations but all we can do is kill civilians. In my last game I found that no troops will killed until there was no population left to support them.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

I usually drop 2 or 3 bombs on the planet before I land at all. If there are thousands upon thousands of enemies, I just bomb the colony into oblivion. Then I just recolonise the planet and everyone forgets what happened. :D .

I don't bother with any of the military bases or stuff. Just set the planets to automate, then go around stomping stuff with my stack. Stacks are fun to use after all.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War

Return to “Polaris Sector”