Autocolonization needs major improvements

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
bjgrt
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Autocolonization needs major improvements

Post by bjgrt »

I don't use autocolonization at the "expansion" phase - it's very not optimal, - but I can live with that. Today I've tried to use it in a later game (didn't need new colonies ASAP, wanted to cut on micromanagement) - it's good I've saved before trying.
First, it's used a very wrong ship design. Expected that, could be worked around.
Second, it's started building the colonizer on a far away colony. Not sure if the colonizer had enough fuel, but it wouldn't matter - there where enemy planets (with fleets) on the way. Don't see a workaround for that.
bjgrt

Re: Autocolonization needs major improvements

Post by bjgrt »

For some (probably unhealthy) reason I've decided to try autocolonization later in the game. Made sure the right design is on top and far away colonies are busy, so all colonizators started building deep into my territory. All targets where also near the "capital". The result - one of five (!) planned colonizations succeeded. One colonizator stack "waiting for colonists" while population isn't growing. Tree got colonists at the same (!) planet, and then "forgot" what to do (just sitting there full for a very long time). And than 2 more colonizers started building.
Is it possible that some colonizator's "operational status" gets lost while saving/loading?
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

bjgrt wrote:For some (probably unhealthy) reason I've decided to try autocolonization later in the game. Made sure the right design is on top and far away colonies are busy, so all colonizators started building deep into my territory. All targets where also near the "capital". The result - one of five (!) planned colonizations succeeded. One colonizator stack "waiting for colonists" while population isn't growing. Tree got colonists at the same (!) planet, and then "forgot" what to do (just sitting there full for a very long time). And than 2 more colonizers started building.
Is it possible that some colonizator's "operational status" gets lost while saving/loading?
If you send me the saved game, I can check. It is very difficult to me to replicate this, so I cannot tell what a problem could be there.
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

Ufnv wrote:If you send me the saved game, I can check.
Ok, I've emailed it (just now). Tried to put it here, but this forum does not allow attachments over 2 meg.
However, in my opinion the autocolonization is broken (by design) way beyond just fixing a couple of bugs. Player needs to be able to (optionally) choose where and what to build, where to get colonists, and change those orders later if something went wrong. Some additional things like changing the behavior of "get colonists" button (to "grow" them if needed) also wont hurt.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

bjgrt wrote:
Ufnv wrote:If you send me the saved game, I can check.
However, in my opinion the autocolonization is broken (by design) way beyond just fixing a couple of bugs. Player needs to be able to (optionally) choose where and what to build, where to get colonists, and change those orders later if something went wrong. Some additional things like changing the behavior of "get colonists" button (to "grow" them if needed) also wont hurt.
Well, you always can do this. Manually :) It allows exactly what you described.

The whole idea of autocolonization is a "one-button" action, if you need anything more complicated then manual colonization is your choice.
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

Ufnv wrote:
bjgrt wrote:Well, you always can do this. Manually :) It allows exactly what you described.
Not quite. By the time colonizers are built I don't remember where exactly I wanted to send them (specially later in the game) - perhaps some notes and marks could help with that, but none are implemented now. Getting the exact number of free population is also tricky - changing the "get colonists" button behavior might help.
peterw

Post by peterw »

My trick is I rename the system I plan to colonize - this is my "marker".
I don't really tried auto-colonization jet.
My Italian Panzer Corps campaign Italia Victor!:
http://www.streitmacht.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=53
crimsonsun
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by crimsonsun »

My issues with Auto Colonisation is there's no priority system in place, nor quick way of altering the colony ship that's built (making various templates based on world type, distance utterly useless or stealth useless). It would also be hugely helpful if you could exclude planets from building auto colonisation ships - this is a feature that may become really important if the DLC or updates brings in auto building and transporting of small ships.

Love the game and really looking forward to additional content, hopefully there's intent to support this game for multiple DLC's/expansions that build on what is mainly a very strong core system.
solops
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by solops »

I usually play with 600-800 stars. having an auto-colonise option is fine, but I would never use it.

Return to “Polaris Sector”