Recommended?

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
elmo3
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Recommended?

Post by elmo3 »

I did get it and it's a fine game. Recommended. I've played a ton of 4X games including Galactic Civilizations 1, 2, and 3; MOO 1, 2, and 3, but not 4; Armada 2526 Supernova; Sword of the Stars 1 and 2; Distant Worlds, and a lot more I've forgotten about over the years.
oninowon
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by oninowon »

Elmo wrote:I did get it and it's a fine game. Recommended. I've played a ton of 4X games including Galactic Civilizations 1, 2, and 3; MOO 1, 2, and 3, but not 4; Armada 2526 Supernova; Sword of the Stars 1 and 2; Distant Worlds, and a lot more I've forgotten about over the years.
Wow, I only played 6 of those you listed. The only other space 4x game I've played, not on your list, was Star Ruler 2 which is an awesome game (love the diplomacy, economy, and fleet battles). Polaris, so far, has been a pleasant xp.
Medway
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Medway »

Close to 30 hours already in Polaris Sector after purchasing it 10 days ago, having fun so far and it's quite a challenge. Initially the AI seemed like it wasn't going to do much to stop me but putting up a big back and forth fight now.
FarAway Sooner
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by FarAway Sooner »

I haven't played Stellaris yet, but this one and DWU are both fine titles. Very different.

DWU is DEEP! After watching 20+ hours of tutorial videos, I finally had a decent grasp of how to play. It's a very intricate system, with lots of things going on, and very satisfying to manage. It also takes a lot of micromanagement to get things right. I loved DWU, but after 80+ hours of playing, the micromanagement just wore me out. Part of that is because the AI just can't handle certain things well.

For better and for worse, this game does not have as much complexity. DWU is really a true 4x game, whereas this is more of a wargame in 4x clothing. Combat plays a much more central role in this game, but that's fine, because the combat is far more interesting. Planet management in this game is very straight-forward. Enough of the systems (combat, research, etc.) are innovative that this doesn't feel like a tired retread of Master of Orion or Galactic Cilivizations. Play is much more streamlined.

Both are great purchases. This game is still in its adolescent stage, but hopefully has had enough purchases that additional DLC is on the way (heroes, etc.). If you like streamlined game play, this is your choice. DWU is fully mature, with all its crazy plot arcs and intricate mechanisms for resolving commerce, combat, hero levelling, etc. I think development on DWU is done, but it's been running strong for a number of years.

Return to “Polaris Sector”