Polaris Sector 1.04b Open Beta

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Polaris Sector 1.04b Open Beta

Post by AlbertoC »

We’re releasing today a new update for Polaris Sector. It’s on Open Beta and available both on Steam and for the Installer version of the game.

On Steam to activate it, simply go to your Library, right click on Polaris Sector -> Properties -> Betas and then select “Open Beta”.

To download the patch for the Installer version, go here: ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Polaris%2 ... -v104b.exe (please update from 1.03c)

All feedback is more than welcome!

Changelog:
v1.04b
• added possibility to cancel upgrade of a ship at any time
• improved algorithm for troops transports taking ground units from planets for automatic invasion – it ensures planet will not have unrest started because of this
• fixed some bugs in happiness calculation, especially for exhaustive work
• fixed auto-colonization not working in several cases
• fixed tribute for pirates after invasion of a pirates planet
• fixed a bug with right-clicking mot always working when changing route of a moving fleet

v1.04a
• Vast modding API improvement
• Heroes backend is now fully functional
• New types of space object types in additional to planets (asteroid belts, for example) that can be colonized and developed
• Destruction of planets
• Weapon type that can fire capital ships only (ex. SW Death Star weapon)
• Customizable look for missiles
• Satellites and stations can now have fuel cells and refuelling stations to act as a refuel and repair bases far from colonized planets
• Separated fuel reserve from travel range, meaning that a ship or station without engines (and thus no travel range) can still has a fuel reserve
• Added the possibility for tankers to reserve some fuel for themselves
• Possibility to use several mods simultaneously
• AI tweaks both in combat and on strategic map
• Fixed the exploit that allowed to destroy factories after building orbital factories
• Fixed the Military Training Center
• Fixed CellsEditor starting incorrectly the new ship body without cells
efthimios
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Polaris Sector 1.04a Open Beta

Post by efthimios »

Any fix for the crash/not loading of the settings window (the separate program)
Plato was right.
Slitherine for 4X in space!
Freyland
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Freyland »

"Heroes back end now fully functional"

Didn't anybody at least snicker when they wrote this?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

efthimios wrote:Any fix for the crash/not loading of the settings window (the separate program)
Hi,

It's certainly working for me! Please do give it a try and let us know if you have any issues
bjgrt
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bjgrt »

AlbertoC wrote: • Fixed the exploit that allowed to destroy factories after building orbital factories
I've seen AI doing this, so it wasn't exactly an exploit. Can you make it optional through a remember.cfg (or otherwise)?
RandomAttack
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RandomAttack »

I don't have the Steam version, so will probably hold off for awhile. But it SEEMS like the patch is mostly:
- A whole bunch of goodies for modders, along with some eye candy (nothing against eye candy. :) ).
- A lot of refueling fixes & a couple of bugs squashed.
• Heroes backend is now fully functional
Does this mean they are in the game now, or only for mods?
• AI tweaks both in combat and on strategic map
What does this mean? Any tweaks to the "hidden" AI bonuses" (e.g., seemingly infinite fuel)? To me, this is the real meat of the patch and it seems like some additional detail is warranted. I don't care how pretty the mods are, if the AI gets massive "hidden" cheats then what's the point? At the very least we should be told EXACTLY what they are-- why so coy?
efthimios

Post by efthimios »

Shards wrote:
efthimios wrote:Any fix for the crash/not loading of the settings window (the separate program)
Hi,

It's certainly working for me! Please do give it a try and let us know if you have any issues
Thankfully I have the drm-free version of Slitherine and not Steam. Unfortunately that means I can't test the beta patch.
Plato was right.
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

The Open Beta is only available on Steam! Once the update is ready it will be available on Slitherine also.
Ok, I hate to be "that guy" to finally ask, but WHY? Why only on Steam?

I have nothing against Steam particularly, but I bought the game here. Why should I have to reinstall it as a Steam game just to get access to a Beta patch, which if it runs like MANY games lately could be MONTHS before it is "official". Or it NEVER becomes official, but just rolls into yet another perpetual Beta. Why can't the Beta be provided here?! MANY other games do so. You are essentially penalizing me for not wanting to be tied to Steam. If that's going to be the case, then stop selling the games here. Jeesh. :cry:
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

RandomAttack wrote: Ok, I hate to be "that guy" to finally ask, but WHY? Why only on Steam?
Just to test it with a bit wide auditory, I guess. Actually, the real patch will include more things. At least this:

- Ability to cancel the ship upgrade without destroying the ship
- Fix to auto-colonization that checks if a planet can actually supply colony ship with colonists in some difficult cases
- Fix to auto-invasion that disables taking units from planets that can start revolting
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

HI,

For this version, we decided to put this first iteration of 1.04a out onto a Steam open beta simply because it was on a Friday and it was a lower risk. I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes we have to make that decision. For the next release we'll put up files for both here and Steam, and Ufnv is pretty rapid at turning things around so expect them soon.

Thanks!
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

Shards wrote: For this version, we decided to put this first iteration of 1.04a out onto a Steam open beta simply because it was on a Friday and it was a lower risk. I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes we have to make that decision. For the next release we'll put up files for both here and Steam, and Ufnv is pretty rapid at turning things around so expect them soon.
It's not Friday anymore, and it didn't break anyone's computer over weekend (as far as I know). What is holding you now?
efthimios

Post by efthimios »

bjgrt wrote:
Shards wrote: For this version, we decided to put this first iteration of 1.04a out onto a Steam open beta simply because it was on a Friday and it was a lower risk. I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes we have to make that decision. For the next release we'll put up files for both here and Steam, and Ufnv is pretty rapid at turning things around so expect them soon.
It's not Friday anymore, and it didn't break anyone's computer over weekend (as far as I know). What is holding you now?
Dude, don't be rude.
Plato was right.
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

efthimios wrote:Dude, don't be rude.
Being rude is the nature of dudes (who I'm not), and the excuse was lame. ;)
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

please try and keep it civil everyone thanks, everyone is doing there best, sometimes thing are done what don't suit everyone, that's life
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

Played a full game with the patch (from Steam). Not sure what the AI tweaks might have been, but can definitely say:
- Training Center works fine now. You almost immediately get 1-star, followed by another if you let it sit awhile.
- The PLAYER can't destroy factories that are needed for orbital factories, but the AI does it all the time. We need an option like CIv, where "workers don't destroy existing improvements", because I personally like all my non-industrial Earthlike planets to still have 3 fac./one orb. fac. So say I put in on "Industrial" until an orbital is built, then switch to "innovation". Eventually, the AI will ALWAYS destroy the 3 reg factories to build more research labs. The lone orb. fac. will ALWAYS remain. So I have to micro every planet if I don't want my pre-existing stuff razed. Not a game-breaker, but would like to see the AI leave existing stuff alone! It would be easier for me to go in and destroy anything I didn't want rather than have to micro the rest of the game.
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

RandomAttack wrote:The PLAYER can't destroy factories that are needed for orbital factories, but the AI does it all the time. We need an option like CIv, where "workers don't destroy existing improvements", because I personally like all my non-industrial Earthlike planets to still have 3 fac./one orb. fac. So say I put in on "Industrial" until an orbital is built, then switch to "innovation". Eventually, the AI will ALWAYS destroy the 3 reg factories to build more research labs. The lone orb. fac. will ALWAYS remain. So I have to micro every planet if I don't want my pre-existing stuff razed. Not a game-breaker, but would like to see the AI leave existing stuff alone! It would be easier for me to go in and destroy anything I didn't want rather than have to micro the rest of the game.
The parameter might be already there (remember.cfg) - AllowBuildingAutoDestructionForPlayer. Can't find it within in-game settings, can't really test it (using the Micromanagement everywhere myself). If you decide to try changing it keep in mind couple things: you need to change your config (somewhere under "My games"), the file is ANSII formatted, don't edit it with the Notepad. Back it up first (of course).
BTW, you are proving my point. :)
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

Good catch! I'll try that next game. :D
SilasOfBorg
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Waiting patiently for non-steam patch to go up. Happy to see continued development and patching, fantastic game!
Manfromstars
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Manfromstars »

Hello, im come late, i like try again beta test that patch but steam say to me that i unable joint any beta and my cdkey not working for this.
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

Just a question on the retreat/fuel mechanic. I just noticed (not sure if it is this version-- might have always been this way) that when a ship retreats it tops off with fuel. Is that as intended?
I had put a Scout through a Wormhole and was way across the Galaxy in enemy territory and running out of fuel. I retreated from a battle and presto!, I had full fuel again. :D :shock:

Return to “Polaris Sector”