Problem swapping between playing Bulge and Moscow on same PC

Energisteron
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Problem swapping between playing Bulge and Moscow on same PC

Post by Energisteron »

Hi Slitherine Support

I purchased both Drive on Moscow and Battle of the Bulge in the Halloween Sale. I was quite impressed with both products until I discovered a problem if I tried to go back and play the other.

So, I played BoB, then DoM, then quit and tried to restart BoB.

I get one of three possible errors:-

1. It starts the last title I played NOT the one selected (so if I'd been playing DoM I could no longer play BoB)
2. I get a CRC error and nothing more.
3. The selected game does load but in game (not on the game menu) the mouse doesn't work.
4. Nothing happens at all!

All very odd. I've tried re-writing the shortcut to exactly the right folder and application but it ignores the changes and goes to the last autorun.exe.

Any ideas?

I'm on a high spec PC, windows 7. The games worked fine once, and the last title played still plays but I cannot swap between the two.

Are the two titles incompatible?

Thanks in advance
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Problem swapping between playing Bulge and Moscow on sam

Post by zakblood »

no the titles are working fine for me, and everyone else, as nobody else has mentioned it, so for me, it sounds like either a permissions issue or an administrator one, with one of the files staying in the task manager for some reason once closed

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post with first adding the file to a zip, which is then permitted to attach to the forum

a report may show up something, if not the developer may suggest something else, like the logs from each game etc, or have you looked in your anti virus logs to see if that have anything logged?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

next is uninstalling both, as you play the site versions? not the steam ones?

and load them elsewhere, eg right click install as admin, none default, so lets say c:Games etc

patch them to the latest version, and once installed, make sure both let the pre requites install as well, then re try and run both again
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Thank you for your very rapid reply.

I shall have a glance later and report back. Thanks again.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

ok good luck, i can have both loaded and played at the same time tbh, so there is no conflict
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (194.46 KiB) Viewed 11649 times
and just tab between the two
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

other option is, do you use steam?

as this is the option i've shown, i can load both of the site versions if you wish, and load both at the same time to show it works.

both are there own and should work fine together or on there own.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 58&t=72513

information above in the link on how to redeem your steam key if you wish to use steam on both or either.
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Thanks for your continued investigations, Zaplod

No, I do no longer use Steam. I found it intrusive and also I prefer to decide when and if my games are patched. Also, it seemingly deleted games I hadn't played for a while and made them inaccessible.

Back to the question. When I reported the issue I had uninstalled both BoB and DoM to get a clean start. Here's what happened:-

1. I checked the location of both BoB and DoM, and sure enough the folders I'd created to install them (C:\Matrix Slitherine\[game title] ) were empty except for a folder named Bulge Data (and Moscow Data in the other). These did indeed contain some data. I deleted both.

2. I deleted the installation files, and unzipped the original downloaded zip file. From the 'fresh' installation file I installed BoB to location above.

3. All seemed ok, but on starting BoB, I got the game Menu, started a scenario and found the mouse would not interact with the map or units. It would click on all other buttons even in play, just not on the playing area.

4. I uninstalled, and tried again.

5. Same result except I was taken to the Full Game Menu not the quickstart menu, and since there was an Update button, I hit that. The game updated to version 1.19.

6. The BoB game now has full functionality and I've played the full campaign all the way through. No problems or idiosyncrasies.

So that's fine so far. I'm still confused though how BoB v1.14 did work the first time it was installed until DoM was installed?

I'll report back once DoM has been reinstalled and if there are issues I'll save a dxdiag file for you.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

ok thanks for getting back, and good luck and hope all goes well

you can always make your own shortcuts the the quick start and not game menu if you like and wish
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

BoB continues to work via the full game menu.

1. DoM freshly installed in intended folder C:\Matrix Slitherine\Drive on Moscow

2. Shortcut symbol not the DoM emblem but the BoB icon (?)

3. However, clicking D0M shortcut does start DoM v1.04.

4. However, the failure of the mouse to click on the game map resurfaces.

5. Go back to DoM main menu and hit update button

6. DoM updates to v1.08

7. DoM game now works!

8. Close DoM

9. Reopen BoB, and the correct title (BoB) opens and continues to work

10. Issue resolved

It seems it was just a corrupt install all along, or at least that installing the second title corrupted the first on this one occasion.

Thanks for your help. I can even play Multiplayer now!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

glad your sorted and happy gaming, and thanks for letting us know

Return to “Battle of the Bulge: Tech Support”