Britannicus, a Legion Arena Mod

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

/me holds up large cubic zirconia on a chain, swinging it slowly back and forth

Look, Mago! See the bright shiny pretty? Watch it closely, see it swing back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

Your eyelids grow heavier, heavier, heavier...

You are growing sleepy, sleepy, sleepy....

Now, listen closely...

You will install the Britannicus mod. You will play the Britannicus mod. You will enjoy the Britannicus mod. You will tell everyone how wonderful the Britannicus mod is.

Now, when I snap my fingers, you will wake up, and remember nothing of this conversation...but you will follow your instructions...

SNAP!

Hey, Mago, how's it going? :)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Do you mind if I host the mod on our website? I think this deserves a bit of promotion :)
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

Ian -

Please do! I'd be delighted.

I'm dying to talk to somebody who has played the damn thing all the way through, and see what they think =)

I'm also currently trying to decide what to do next.

I've thought about -

A Rise of Carthage campaign, but rumor has it there's already an unreleased one out there.

A Judaean Revolt campaign, probably the Bar Kochba rebellion.

A Carthaginians in Central Africa campaign, based on Wilbur Smith's novel "The Sunbird".

If I had a skinner to work with, I've even idly considered a fantasy campaign, with orcs and goblins and elves and such. But they'd be generic RPG orcs, not the ones with a K that could get my ass sued off by Golf Whiskey.
magobarca
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by magobarca »

me holds up large cubic zirconia on a chain, swinging it slowly back and forth

Look, Mago! See the bright shiny pretty? Watch it closely, see it swing back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...
Your eyelids grow heavier, heavier, heavier...

You are growing sleepy, sleepy, sleepy....

Now, listen closely...

You will install the Britannicus mod. You will play the Britannicus mod. You will enjoy the Britannicus mod. You will tell everyone how wonderful the Britannicus mod is.

Now, when I snap my fingers, you will wake up, and remember nothing of this conversation...but you will follow your instructions...

SNAP!

Hey, Mago, how's it going?
I am unhypnotizable, it has been tried and didn't work.

It's going wet and somewhat boring, but somewhat interesting.

I crucified my last commander per the Sophet's SOP, the heck with the Senate, since he was apparently a Carthaginian spy, Beria told me so.

Magobarca
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi Possum,

you can change textures but not models, so there is some room for modding the unit appearance. I think a historical campaign is more likely to get people playing. I really liked the limited healing idea and I'd push it even further in the next game. Maybe keep the total campaign shorter so that it does not become too hard to balance? You could start teh player with a larger army & not let them recruit new troops just heal up & buy equipment. You'd need to create a new side to do that or modify the squads file to say the side you were using could no longer recruit those units. Oooh, lots of possibilities.

In summary I think smaller campaigns are the way to go, as you are more likely to get players to play the whole way through & they are easier to balance.
kyle
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Campaign Size

Post by kyle »

small is good some of the time. I like games that take a long time to beat, I haven't had the money to buy the full-version of LA yet so I can't say it isn't long-enough. From what I heard it sounds pretty long.

Am I right that there is a definite max number for levels? Is there a way to increase that number?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you mean for squads, there is no limit on the max level. I've only seen as high as level 40 something, but others have had in the 80's I think.
kyle

Nope

Post by kyle »

I mean campaign levels.
grimsta
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by grimsta »

If I had a skinner to work with, I've even idly considered a fantasy campaign, with orcs and goblins and elves and such. But they'd be generic RPG orcs, not the ones with a K that could get my ass sued off by Golf Whiskey.
*cough* *cough*

even tho im here, its not actually possible to make ORcs and Goblins and (oh so poncy) Elves in LA - we cant change models *glares at slitherine*

:wink:
One mans Rabbit is another mans Laplander - Boris Johnson
magobarca
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by magobarca »

Possum's mod sounds like a very good and interesting mod, I just haven't had the time to install it and play it. Historical accuracy of the troop types is a stickler with me, but a semi-historical mod is quite OK and fun IMHO.

I would love to see a Spartacus mod, historical or semi-historical!!

Also, of intetrest, I drug myself to the Dentist the other day, and my Dentist revealed that he climbed the Snake Path to the top of the plateau of Masada, and this discussion arose out of a discussion of my last name or surname of 'Silva' and me, myself and I being a descendant of the Roman diety of forest and field Silvanus, uh-huh :roll: , and the fact that Cornelius Flavius Silva commanded Legio X Fretensis at Masada, and that Legio X Fretensis does indeed appear to have a direct lineage to Caesar's famed Legio X.

Hmmmm, on an offshoot or in a tangentially vine, errr vein, this means that all the forsests and fields are mine, mine, mine!!! At least the italian ones, well the ones around Rome anyway. Hmmm, would be nice if I was a Realator (Real Estate type).

Have to go and get some sleep, and tend my forests and fields tommorrow; the grass, Blue Bonnets, weeds, Wild Violets, Dandelions (those imported European plant pests), and etc. already need cutting.

Keep up the good work Possum, and your mod and work and time and creativity are appreciated. :wink:

Magobarca
miki
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by miki »

Hi Possum,

I'm definetively enjoying your Brit campaign. Fine work: A very big thank you. I have just won "The Duel" scenario. My core force is currently made of the General, Auxilia (weapons & armour), Velites (extra javelins), Militia (no extra equipment) and one unit of Warriors (no extra equipment). I don't know what to buy next.

I have doubts about purchasing one new warrior (when new points will be available, I have only 200 gold coins now) or one Scout Cavalry unit right now... Any hints about what can be more valuable, with all the campaign development in mind?

It would be great another campaign MOD (longer, pleeze, longer) from you!
Saludos
Miki
miki

Post by miki »

Hi Possum

Never mind about what units to buy. I have won Civil War II batlle, and my core force works smoothly: General, Auxilia, Militia, Warriors, Warriors, Veterans, Nobles and Archers.
Saludos
Miki
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

miki wrote:Hi Possum

Never mind about what units to buy. I have won Civil War II batlle, and my core force works smoothly: General, Auxilia, Militia, Warriors, Warriors, Veterans, Nobles and Archers.
That's a good mix, miki

Anything that gives a good mix (of lt inf, hvy inf, cavalry, and fire units) should work. The two exceptions are that Spearmen are not good heavy infantry to base your army on, and I personally have never tried Fanatics in the brit campaign.

I am delighted to hear that you are enjoying the campaign. Best of luck, save often, and keep us posted on your progress! :) :) :)
miki

Post by miki »

Hi Possum,

I'm having big fun here. I have just conquered Londinium and have cleared up the remnants of the Romans there. Now I'm going to fight Galba (tomorrow, as its very late at night here in Spain now). The campaign is very inmersive, those black hearts are great making the game feel a lot more real (taking care of your men=no more easily replaceable cannon fodder).

Gold seems correct, but perhaps you give a bit too much Fame in the initial/medium stages of the campaign. Well, I'll post the army compostion and Gold/Fame acquired when the campaign is ended. By the way some battles were really tough & challenging, and I needed to beef up key units with extra armour and weapons in order to win the day...

Thanks again for this piece of art.
Saludos
Miki
tex
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by tex »

This looks interesting!

Does it work with COM?
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

I deliberately designed it so CoM was not required, but it should work with CoM installed, no reason why it wouldn't.

OTOH, it hasn't actually been tested with CoM, so please let us know one way or the other :)
tex

Post by tex »

Hi,

I downloaded the mod pack and when I started Com the mod box popped up. If I select Brits and then when everything has loaded start a new campaign I get offered Latins, Romans and Celts. Do i take the Romans option and set the difficulty to hard? The first few battles seemed similar to the un-modded battles.

Beserker BETA new campaign looks like the standard Com campaign startup screen. What should I do there?
tex

Post by tex »

Oh its under Celts and seems to work ok so far.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The BERSERKER mod just modifies the fame you earn meaning you cannot always heal up your casualties.
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

Tex, that's great!

Yes, it's under the celtic campaign. Would you please do me a big favor, and see if there isn't a readme.txt file included? It should be in there, and there should be a section under "Run Notes" telling what to do. The problem is that the readme.txt file gets dumped in the main LA directory (C:\Program Files\BlackBean\LegionArena). In future versions, I'll build the archive so it dumps the readme into the C:\Program Files\BlackBean\LegionArena\Mod\Brit directory.

I was 99% sure there would be no problems with CoM, but it's nice to have confirmation :)

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”