A Legion Arena "Modded" Checklist.

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by lcjr »

Squad size can be easily edited. In Squads.txt is the very clear value "Men". Max. size is 79 for infantry. Haven't tested cav yet other than 30 causes no problems.

edit>Max squad size for cavalry is 60.

If you go over 79 in the deployment screen the unit figure will be shown off his base. The army camp and deployment screen will show the edited number but only 79 soldiers will be deployed on the field.
spedius01
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by spedius01 »

lcjr wrote:Squad size can be easily edited. In Squads.txt is the very clear value "Men". Max. size is 79 for infantry. Haven't tested cav yet other than 30 causes no problems.
edit>Max squad size for cavalry is 60.
If you go over 79 in the deployment screen the unit figure will be shown off his base. The army camp and deployment screen will show the edited number but only 79 soldiers will be deployed on the field.
Ave lcjr,

Good job, well spotted. It's nice to know that others are prepared to help. I've acredited this "find" to you in the "Roll of Honour".

What concerns me is, do more troops = a distorted result? For example 48 men = 20 kills, 79 men = 100 kills? If you have the time and interest, do you think you could check this out? It could mean a re-evaluation and adjustments to the fighting and shooting capabilities of squads with increased numbers? A very delicate balancing act!

One thing we have no control over are the numbers in the squads of the enemy. At the moment they are "cast in stone". If we alter the numbers in our squads it could throw everything out of kilter and so distort the results as to completely change the whole nature of the game experience. A battle wouldn't be a battle, it would be more in the nature of a slaughter. I feel sure that you wouldn't want that to happen?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
"If you build it, they will come"
North London Wargames Group
fatetriarrii
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by fatetriarrii »

I thought it looked like enemies wre just renamed copies of our units with promotion paths made so that they acted in the battle like the unit they represented. :?:
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:I thought it looked like enemies wre just renamed copies of our units with promotion paths made so that they acted in the battle like the unit they represented. :?:
Ave fatetriarrii,

I don't disagree with you, (is that a double negative?), what I'm trying to say is, I agree with you, they do.

There are one or two exceptions though, I recall fighting against Balearic slingers and cataphracts, we don't have them.
Wouldn't it be something if we did?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii »

Now, I don't remember the Cataphracts (I might not have faced them yet), but the slingers wre just renamed archers, weren't they? They looked like archers.
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:Now, I don't remember the Cataphracts (I might not have faced them yet), but the slingers wre just renamed archers, weren't they? They looked like archers.
Ave fatetriarrii,

You know I keep records of the games in Legion Arena, so I looked up Cataphract and they are in #63 Battle of Nicopolis and #64 Batle of Zela. The Balearic slingers were in #37 Battle of Trebbia and #40 Battle of Illipa. All are battles from the Roman campaign.

If you care to refight these battles perhaps could let me know if the Cataphracts and slingers are reworked versions of our squads?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

PS What time is it where you are? It's 1747 here.
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii »

Wait, wait, wait. You are doing something weird. I assume you mean 17:47, which is "military time" as far as the US is concerened. We would call it 5:47 PM (Post-something? I don't know, after lunch). For me, it is 12:52 AM (before lunch). In 8 minutes it will be 1 PM, or 13:00 "military time." :wink:

^ all this proves that time might be standardized, but apparently it is not written quite standard enough. :D
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:Wait, wait, wait. You are doing something weird. I assume you mean 17:47, which is "military time" as far as the US is concerened. We would call it 5:47 PM (Post-something? I don't know, after lunch). For me, it is 12:52 AM (before lunch). In 8 minutes it will be 1 PM, or 13:00 "military time." :wink:
^ all this proves that time might be standardized, but apparently it is not written quite standard enough. :D
Ave fatetriarrii,

You dodged the question there, (-5 bonus points). Have you got all of the games saved on your hard drive? If you have you can check those four battles out to determine, once and for all time, if the Cataphract and the Balearic slingers are copies of our squads or not.

It's post meridian or pm. My dictionary says "circle passing through given place and N. & S. poles: corresponding line on map etc. You know what GMT is, Greenwich Mean Time, you also know what time zones are. You're in a different time zone than I am. I'm in the UK, you're in the USA. You must be on the east coast, yes?

I like your remark at the end, very sage! Is it a fatetriarrii original or did you read it somewhere?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii »

I made it up, thank you. But My favorite quote, as you can read off my sig, is:

"Hannibal Barca ---> Hannibal's daddyman"
-mavsman

The word "daddyman" just cracks me up :lol:

Anyway, I do not have every battle saved, and it is a while in there :( , But I will tell you what. I will use my godly modding skills to get me there like that* (can you guess how? 19 points for a correct answer, 11 if your close).
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:I made it up, thank you. But My favorite quote, as you can read off my sig, is:
"Hannibal Barca ---> Hannibal's daddyman"
-mavsman
The word "daddyman" just cracks me up :lol:
Anyway, I do not have every battle saved, and it is a while in there :( , But I will tell you what. I will use my godly modding skills to get me there like that* (can you guess how? 19 points for a correct answer, 11 if you're close).
Ave fatetriarrii,

I have no idea, I give up, no points for me. How do you use your "godly moddings skills" to get you there?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii »

The enemy never uses velites, so I gave them incredible stats. The only times I had trouble reaching the mission were the time limit ones, and only because my velites coudn't run fast enough. :P

Anyway, I am at the first mission with Balearic Slingers, and the look like archers to me. I can get a screenshot if you want. The caption read "balearic slingers, (skirmishers), Men: 36, Open Ground."

Ps, about the other thread, I have heard that their is no real counter to veterans and have had trouble myself, so I am going to try to make it more balanced. I don't really have any true calculations yet, but I am working on it.
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:The enemy never uses velites, so I gave them incredible stats. The only times I had trouble reaching the mission were the time limit ones, and only because my velites coudn't run fast enough. :P
Anyway, I am at the first mission with Balearic Slingers, and they look like archers to me. I can get a screenshot if you want. The caption read "balearic slingers, (skirmishers), Men: 36, Open Ground."
Ps, about the other thread, I have heard that their is no real counter to veterans and have had trouble myself, so I am going to try to make it more balanced. I don't really have any true calculations yet, but I am working on it.
Ave fatetriarri,

The big question is, the "Balearic slingers" who look like archers, do they have bows and arrows? Can you zoom in and get a sreenshot of them? Can you include it in your answer, so that everyone can see "the archer who thought he was a slinger" guy?

You didn't tell me how your "godly modding skills" allowed you to find those battles?

Good luck with the veteran balancing thing?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii »

I just glanced at the enemy archers each fight and kept winning until I got there. Here is a step-by-step account of EXACTLY what I did:

1) Open squads.txt

2) look for velites and continue scrolling to their "abilities" (stats)

3) increase armour from 4 to 400

4) increase damage from 10 to 100

5) increase concuss from 1 to 100

6) increase agility from 30 to 100

7) increase attack from 9 to 100

8) increase shot armour from 3 to 100

9) increase morale from 250 to 2500

10) increase ranged concuss from 5 to 500

11) increase ragned damage from 15 to 150

12) increase shot attack (instant kill chance) from 30 to 100

13) save and start game, buy a velites unit, and kick butt! :wink:

Well, Xfire isn't uploading the shot to their web-page, so I can email them (I have two) to anyone who wants it. Unless someone knows a free place to upload the screenies at :?
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:I just glanced at the enemy archers each fight and kept winning until I got there. Here is a step-by-step account of EXACTLY what I did:
1) Open squads.txt
2) look for velites and continue scrolling to their "abilities" (stats)
3) increase armour from 4 to 400
4) increase damage from 10 to 100
5) increase concuss from 1 to 100
6) increase agility from 30 to 100
7) increase attack from 9 to 100
8) increase shot armour from 3 to 100
9) increase morale from 250 to 2500
10) increase ranged concuss from 5 to 500
11) increase ragned damage from 15 to 150
12) increase shot attack (instant kill chance) from 30 to 100
13) save and start game, buy a velites unit, and kick butt! :wink:
Well, Xfire isn't uploading the shot to their web-page, so I can email them (I have two) to anyone who wants it. Unless someone knows a free place to upload the screenies at :?
Ave fatetriarrii,

I think we're at cross purposes here. Or perhaps my English isn't too easy to understand, even though I'm English?

I was thinking you're going to tell me how you could find the battles if you haven't saved them to your hard drive.
You're telling me how you were able to win a time limited battle. I have to admit to being a tad confused.

Perhaps this is what they mean when they talk about lateral thinking? I often read about people "thinking outside the box", much more of this and I'll be ready to be carried off in a box!

Do the slingers look like archers because they have bows and arrows, yes or no?

I don't know of a free web space for you to upload your "screenies". You could check out the one that possum uses.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
fatetriarrii

Post by fatetriarrii »

Ok, this is what is happening:

I don't have a save of a battle we want to know abuot a unit in. It would take to long to win all the battles in between normally, but if I can get an uber-unit, I can probably win all the intervening battles in less than half an hour (around how long it took me, if not less). Then I can reach my target battle in much, much, much less time. :wink:
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

fatetriarrii wrote:Ok, this is what is happening:
I don't have a save of a battle we want to know abuot a unit in. It would take to long to win all the battles in between normally, but if I can get an uber-unit, I can probably win all the intervening battles in less than half an hour (around how long it took me, if not less). Then I can reach my target battle in much, much, much less time. :wink:
Ave fatetriarrii,

Now I understand, thank you, pretty neat thinking.

DO THE ARCHERS WHO THINK THEY'RE SLINGERS HAVE BOWS AND ARROWS, YES OR NO?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
sum1won
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by sum1won »

They seem to have bows.
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

sum1won wrote:They seem to have bows.
Ave sum1wun,

Thank you, so the slingers are really archers, how confusing!!!

I suppose the Cataphracts are really Light Cavalry?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

PS. I've found out where those troop types come from in ProxySquad.txt. If you're still interested, just ask.
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by lcjr »

Cataphracts are extra heavy cavalry. Term roughly translated to "covered all over", think max armor and Sarmation Horse armor.

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/part ... n_army.php
spedius01

Post by spedius01 »

lcjr wrote:Cataphracts are extra heavy cavalry. Term roughly translated to "covered all over", think max armor and Sarmation Horse armor.
http://www.iranchamber.com/history/part ... n_army.php
Ave lcjr,

Thanks for the info. Great link, fabulous pictures, very interesting details. I will make a note of the website.

I was being ironic, you know "tongue in cheek", I know what Cataphracts are.

Did you take on board my remarks about altering the numbers in a squad?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”