Board Game vs PC

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
Jaedrian
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Board Game vs PC

Post by Jaedrian »

I just wanted to put something together that compares aspects of the board game and the PC game. I didn't go deep into game mechanics, but hopefully explain some of the differences and similarities. Please excuse the coughing, my wife and I are sharing a cold back and forth :(

One thing I did forget to mention is that suppression fire is different in the PC game. In the board game, you can split the suppression among different targets, not in the PC version. That can be a big deal in the board game as you can put suppression on a couple units as you provide cover fire to move another unit up. Not game breaking, just a difference.

https://youtu.be/m93jJfpcf7c

Please share any other differences you may have noticed. Overall, I think the conversion is great!
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Board Game vs PC

Post by Uncle_Joe »

There are definitely difference at the moment but some of them are being added in upcoming updates.

A few other differences:

• No cards (on the way)
• Opp Fire is handled differently
• Objectives are handled differently (they are on intersections in the board game and thus are contestable)
• No transport ability yet (again, on the way)
• Limited number of recruitment options (less 'upgrades', less base tiles...note that the PC game is probably about on par with the core set for HoN but there is a LOT more content out there for variety down the road)
• Order placement is simultaneous rather than alternating
• No ‘machine gun’ ability (split fire)

I'm sure there are more but overall I think once the cards are added the game should feel pretty true to the spirit of the board game if not the letter.
major.pain
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by major.pain »

Opp Fire??

I cant work this one out at all, is it in the this version yet i have not worked out how to use it??
If its not in is it getting added and fixed along with being able to spread your suppression??
Falke_MatrixForum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Falke_MatrixForum »

MajorPain wrote:Opp Fire??
Opp fire is in the PC Version. A unit with opp fire ability active will fire at the first unit that moves in range and where it has a good Chance to hit and if it has not already had an order that turn.
nostradunwhich
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by nostradunwhich »

Jaedrian wrote:One thing I did forget to mention is that suppression fire is different in the PC game. In the board game, you can split the suppression among different targets, not in the PC version. That can be a big deal in the board game as you can put suppression on a couple units as you provide cover fire to move another unit up. Not game breaking, just a difference.
Actually that is technically not true. Suppressive Fire (by itself) cannot be split. Machine Gunner (as mentioned by uncle_joe) allows you to hit multiple targets, and that ability is what is currently (as of 1.03 anyway) not implemented.

Edit to remove a misquote/misunderstood point.
nostradunwhich
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by nostradunwhich »

uncle_joe wrote:• Limited number of recruitment options (less 'upgrades', less base tiles...note that the PC game is probably about on par with the core set for HoN but there is a LOT more content out there for variety down the road)
I don't think this is a point where the PC game differs from the board game, I think it is a factor of the types of scenarios being run by the PC game. We will have to wait for the Editor to know for sure about options.

Return to “Heroes of Normandie”