Commander's "Nationality"

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Commander's "Nationality"

Post by airbornemongo101 »

So I had an epiphany one day and had a conversation with myself, it went along these lines

"Self", says I "How comes all of these Commander for the Germans are either Heer, Luftwaffe, or Kreigsmarine and not one for the Waffen SS"

Myself replied "I dunno", just for the record, Myself isn't the smartest knife in the drawer.

So I went about downloading and resizing a picture of Paul Hauser and replacing Avatar 77, 'cause I and myself think he looks a little frumpy, while 'self isn't the smartest he does have a bit of fashion sense

I went and tried to change my brand new spiffy looking Waffen SS commander from the Heer to the Waffen SS in the Poznan scn. of Erik's Germany West 39-40 campaign, to no avail

The editor only shows neutral or "Werhmacht" and I'm not able to change my spiffy new commander's allegiance

Is this a bug, intentional, or am I doing something wrong?

I would also like to change one of the Luftwaffe guys into a "Werhmacht Commader" , so that the Fallschirmjagers can get some "historic" looking love also, but that's for later (Myself's idea, the bastard likes paratroopers, he's the one who talked me into falling out of planes for the US Army)
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Commander's "Nationality"

Post by terminator »

It works only if the WaffenSS faction is present, it does not work with the WaffenSS Specialization for the "Wehrmacht" :

Capture d'écran 26.jpg
Capture d'écran 26.jpg (216.32 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I have no experience adding/editing commanders.

All German land commanders (and curiously air commanders as well) may be assigned to Wehrmach or Waffen SS.
Only the Sandstorm commanders are resticted to Wehrmacht

But we need more commanders for all nations, even for minor nations would be cool. It adds to the fun and variability of the game.

At some point I'd like to 'borrow' leader characteristics from Gary Grigsby's War In The East and create commanders in OOB.
There are a lot leaders listed here.
wite.jpg
wite.jpg (170.47 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:21 pm It works only if the WaffenSS faction is present, it does not work with the WaffenSS Specialization for the "Wehrmacht" :
Yeah, I think the easiest way would be to add the WaffenSS as faction to the scen. Maybe even the only way, to be honest. Commanders have to be spawned via triggers with a faction assigned to them.

For further changes of the commanders', you'll have to edit the \data\commanders.txt file for that. Modding, basically.
airbornemongo101

I didn't change anything other than the name, which is done via a bunch of text files, so I"ll try and add the Waffen SS to the scenario as a human controlled faction and place a Waffens SS unit on the map as well as a Fallschrim

I tried to add Luftwaffe commanders to a Fallschirmjager unit, but it would no let me assign him

As always thx for the help and I will let you guys know tomorrow how it goes, I'm at work right now and won't be able to access anything until I get home tonight
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
Duplex
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Duplex »

The game lacks Chinese commanders. :D
airbornemongo101 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:37 pm I would also like to change one of the Luftwaffe guys into a "Werhmacht Commader" , so that the Fallschirmjagers can get some "historic" looking love also, but that's for later (Myself's idea, the bastard likes paratroopers, he's the one who talked me into falling out of planes for the US Army)
Thank you for your service
国民党万岁!

Custom Scenario Creator
airbornemongo101

Ok..so adding the commanders directly to the units worked
Attachments
Screenshot 15.jpg
Screenshot 15.jpg (552.08 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
airbornemongo101

I'm going to do some more testing, and I know that there was no Das Reich Standarte and that the Waffen SS didn't have armor during Poland....it's for testing

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
airbornemongo101

Well evidently the commanders are hard coded

The only way for the to change "branches" is to directly assigning them to a specific unit

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
airbornemongo101

Duplex wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 pm The game lacks Chinese commanders. :D
airbornemongo101 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:37 pm I would also like to change one of the Luftwaffe guys into a "Werhmacht Commader" , so that the Fallschirmjagers can get some "historic" looking love also, but that's for later (Myself's idea, the bastard likes paratroopers, he's the one who talked me into falling out of planes for the US Army)
Thank you for your service
Your welcome and thanks for the thought, it was a prvilige

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

airbornemongo101 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:42 am Well evidently the commanders are hard coded
I'm not sure what you mean by that. In the commanders file, you can change the attributes, range, name, faction and category (land/air/naval) of all the commanders, or even add new ones.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 am
airbornemongo101 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:42 am Well evidently the commanders are hard coded
I'm not sure what you mean by that. In the commanders file, you can change the attributes, range, name, faction and category (land/air/naval) of all the commanders, or even add new ones.
Modding Commanders is one the easiest things to do.
Example with my first Mod : HEROES OF WORLD WAR II (http://www.mediafire.com/file/2rna8iej3 ... .01%29.zip) for the custom single player mini-campaign Normandie-Niémen (viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333#p676302).
airbornemongo101

GabeKnight wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 am
I know about the commanders text file, but I didn't know that it changed the nationality in the editor

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”