What it's this?
The Spanish Prelude intends to be a mod about the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), one of the world conflicts of the period, and an introduction to the World War that will break in Europe just a few months later. Each sides in the war were supported by the Soviet Union and Germany/Italy, so the domestic conflict was also a sort of training for the main plate to come for both sides. A lot of tactics and equipment later used were tested first in the spanish fields.
Current Version: 0.15 (4 scenarios, first try) May'19
Download link: https://mega.nz/#!vYMUjSTK!tOoqIWR_jhy3 ... HeIxAD3H0s
(NOTE: if cannot launch the campaign, try erasing from the campaign folder (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2\Mods\The Spanish Prelude 0.15\Campaigns\The Spanish Civil War v0.15) the tga files you can find; thanks to Gabe for finding the problem )
So, this is the first release of this project. It contains 4 scenarios playable as a microcampaign where I try to test some ideas I would like to develope in depth in the near future. You will play as a fictitious Republican Commander in the early and chaotic stages of the Spanish Civil War, tasked with the coordination of the naval fleet as well as several choosen army elements as shook troops in critical moments of the conflict. The list of the scenarios are:
1. The Strait of Gibraltar (land/navy, ¿pseudo?historical, august 1936)
2. The disembarck of Majorca (land/navy, historical, sept'36)
3. The Western Mediterranean (navy, pseudohistorical, oct'36)
3. University City (land, historical, nov'36)
So, what can you expect from the campaign at the current state of development?
- A campaign that follows (with some deviations) the historical events of the first four months of the war.
- Four scenarios intended to be playable and balanced (although keep in mind that this is just my first try both modding and designing), with maybe 4 or 5 hours of gameplay and (mainly) functional objetives and IAs.
- A try to recover the "flavour" of the real conflict, using names, types of units, terms and the limitations of the spanish civil war. But please, note that I am not an expert under any consideration in the period or the conflict, and I don't intend to historically reproduce the order of battle, positions or precise of the name of the units in each scenario (as I don't think OoB is the better game to achieve that), so if the second batallion of the third company of the XI Mixed Brigade took part in a battle, what you are probably gonna use in the game is a unit under the term of 2nd Bat XI Mixed Brigade or even just XI Mixed Brigade, depending of the scale of that scenario).
- A try to offer a graphically atractive and inmersive experience, with use of IU elements (flags, pics in events, campaign map, factions,...) as in the commercial DLCs.
And what can you NOT expect from this campaign?
- High degree of historically accuracy, as already discussed.
- Correct english. As you have already realised reading this post, english is not my mother language and my texts have a lot of typos and mistakes. I tried to be more meticulous in the game, but nevertheless there are gonna be plenty of f***k ups, sorry about that :/
- A new rooster of units. Although I do plan to create a rooster of units for the two new factions in the game (Republican Spain and Nationalist Spain) somewhere in the near future, in the present release you will use and fight renamed units (mainly from the Soviet and German roosters). I have tweaked the stats when i felt it was necessary.
- New skins/pics for the units. With some minor exceptions, I reused the vanilla versions, but this is another point i will try to correct in the near future.
- A lot of variety in the type of units. The Spanish Civil War was an infantry war, specially at the beginning, and i expect to reflect that in the mod.
- High quality design in the scenarios. Again, this is my first day at the office, so I'm pretty sure I cannot compare with the big dudes around here which have done some magic things for the community for ages. Anyhow, I expect this will be a fun ride, anyway
- Correctness in the counters of the objetives. I hate those f***ers, and didn't manage to make work some of the counters, but the objetives should work anyway. So ie if you have to destroy 6 units, maybe the counter will show 6/0 or 6/5 or something like that, but the good news is that the objetive should work as intented (if you destroy those 6 units, you are good).
- A polished mod (although that should be pretty much clear to you at this point of the post xD). This is the 0.15 version not only because i plan to add scenarios in the future, but because i try to learn in the process while i offer back something to the community to play with in the meantime.
Finally, how can you help me with this project?
- Well, if you try it and you like it, it will be great if you could leave me a comment with your general input. Even better if you didn't like it and can take a moment to explain me why.
- I play to create a bug list (incluiding typos, mistakes and basically anything that don't wok the way it should do), if you feel inclined to share those problems you experience during. With less words, yes, what i am asking you is to do is some kind of beta testing if you are kind enough to share your time with me.
- The project is in a very early stage, so general suggestions are welcomed since there are still time to correct the general direction of my effort, although I have to confess i am a sttuborn person so maybe i wont change my mind easily Scenarios suggestions are welcomed too. And no, at the moment I don't plan to make playable the Nationalist Spain, sorry (maybe in the far future).
0.00 (nothing to see here... yet)
My actual idea is to offer a single-player mini-campaing with maybe 6-7 scenarios for the republican side. I am a complete newbie in modding in general or creating content for OoB in particular, so don't expect much of me. Since the period of the conflict is similar to other official DLC (Rising Sun) I will reuse most of the units and skins of the vanilla game just making some numerical or cosmetical adjustments here and there, and maybe (just maybe) will try to add a few key elements in the best case scenario. You will get tactic command of the Republican Navy and some manouver/shock land troops in the early stages of the war.
In the worst case scenario (if the campaing editor defeats me, i get bored, etc... ) , I will give to the community around four playable scenarios for the conflict, which is not that bad, I guess.
I plan to offer a mix of historical, pseudohistorical and what-if scenarios, with land, naval and air drama.
I wanted to thank the very generous community here in the forum who has contributed not only to the much needed info and tips about modding and creating scenarios/campaings, but also in resolving doubts and talking about the vanilla version of the game (kudos to the Aristocrats!) and its dlcs.
Specials thanks to Admiral (whose mod I'm using as a base for mine, I hope that's ok for you, sir), JCE (author of the outstanding 7PzD Ghost Division 1940-41 Campaign, which served as inspiration) and Bru, Gabe, Terminator and Horch as heavy contributors in the scenario design subforum.
So... that's all at this moment, good sirs. We will brief you again as soon as new intel is available