AI thinks forever

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

AI thinks forever

Post by edward77 »

Please help! Developing Korsun 44, a large scenario with some AI acceptable thinking delays but close to completion, having run through it several times. Did some fine tuning and suddenly the AI on first turn thinks forever. Double checked all triggers, AI commands etc but cannot get back to a workable version. Tried scenario again with #orbitalcommand and got immediate AI response. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: AI thinks forever

Post by GabeKnight »

Either you'd have to be veeeery lucky to find someone who encountered the same problem and knows the answer by chance...
...or....
... I'd suggest you better post the scen here so somebody can take a look... :)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

No problem like this in the AI Setup ?

Screenshot 250.jpg
Screenshot 250.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Image0046.jpg
Image0046.jpg (236.52 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
- Bru
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Many thanks Bru. Smaller teams solved the problem!
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Which is the maximal number of units by AI team ?
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Gabe, AI thinking problem has returned.The maximum number units/AI team = 7
Have put scenario in Dropbox.
Link is:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/khwvnmcgrjded ... 4.zip?dl=0
Please have a look it. Many thanks
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Actually there seems to be nothing "wrong" with the scen as such. First thing I did was just to play it :)
Yeah, very long AI thinking times, but it played okay and without errors (I get it's WIP and not all triggers/events are set up yet).

Screenshot 676.jpg
Screenshot 676.jpg (365.4 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

My first guess would be it's just a large map with many units and it takes time to calculate. It's a really good layout with many tactics and approaches possible. But same goes for the AI, many possibilities to consider... I think the OoB-AI wasn't designed to handle such large maps and you brought it to it's knees.

- There's a road crossing inside a river north-west of "Korsun". That's a "no-no" (Erik) :wink:

It's seems to be more of an optimization issue and I don't have much experience with that. Maybe some of the other modders could give you some more hints...

But I'm gonna take a look in the edior now, maybe I'll spot something nevertheless...
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

I've tried combining the AI teams into 6 total (1 static, 1 air, 4 move-to-hex). It sped up things at first, but even with most triggers deactivated, after the majority of our forces made visual contact, the thinking times went up through the roof again, like before.

If you're interested in some reading material, you can try this: AI-Team Tests

Sorry, don't know what else to do...
edward77

Post by edward77 »

I seem to be getting the same AI thinking forever problem again. Quite flumexed! Below is a table comparing two of my scenarios. The first is Takimnobo 46, my first major Oob scenario, a hypothetical Allied invasion of two Japanese islands. The second is my latest scenario Celles 44, the southern section of the Battle of the Bulge. As one can see Takimnobo is much bigger on all factors. As I thought at first it might be my computer running slow more recently I ran them again sucessively with the Oob latest version. Takimnobo still runs well with very few delays whereas Celles grinds to a halt (thinking forever) on turn 13. All 11 of the triggers are simple, counting vps, checking hex ownership and a couple of spawns which work ok and half of the AI teams are on Static defence. Unit density is probably similar in both scenarios. Its an intriguing problem but probably not solvable.

Scenario--------Turns-----Map size------------Terrain---------Player units---------AI units--------AI teams------Num of triggers

Takimnobo 46---- 30 ----80 x 100----------Mostly Sea------------100---------------159--------------30----------------16

Celles 44----------30-----68 x 36--------------All Land--------------51----------------79--------------12----------------11

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”