Forgotten Units Mod and stuff...

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Forgotten Units Mod

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote:No, 2 differents units, 2 differents animations. Switching units ?
Okay, so a switch unit after the move, that I get.
But I wonder if it could be done with one unit that automatically switches to that mode after moving. Maybe with some work-around in the effect-sequences files or just clever thinking outside the box...
...and it would finally eliminate the annoying "rifles-on-the-ground" bug...

Sorry, but I'm a bit "rusted" with OoB-modding right now to try it myself and be of any help here, but upgrading my mod is on my to-do-list... :| :roll:
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

terminator wrote:Cavalry :
I do not think that the cavalry still attacked by charging during the World War II. The riders attacked rather once gone down from their horses. The horse served rather as means of transportation.
That is, party true. Mounted battle did happen, but yes mainly, cavalry was more like mounted infantry - they were called dragoons in the 1800's. Lancers, uhlans, hussars, cossacks did fight mounted that was their main type of combat they were trained for. Post WWI battlegrounds where cavalry was pressed into combat was Manchuria/Mongolia, China, Poland vs Soviet Union (19-20), Poland in 1939, Soviet Union throughout the war, Hungary in the USSR 1941-42, and I'd bet they were used in Spain as well. In Japan they were in particularly high esteem due to traditions in the military.

Horse transportation is an idea I also had, but I thought it would be useless, since cavalry has the same movement as foot infantry. It can still be done, perhaps adding Cavalry type guerilla, so at least the won't get tired.. but not a big difference.
alex1917
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by alex1917 »

it is a pity that under Sandstorm this good mod does not fit (new versions worth the wait?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

alex1917 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 am it is a pity that under Sandstorm this good mod does not fit (new versions worth the wait?
The problem is that we have no detail of the changes for the units in every update, what makes that it is almost necessary to start all over again in every update :(
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

terminator wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:33 am
alex1917 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 am it is a pity that under Sandstorm this good mod does not fit (new versions worth the wait?
The problem is that we have no detail of the changes for the units in every update, what makes that it is almost necessary to start all over again in every update :(
Many moons ago I proposed a different way to handle units.csv mods that should simplify the process.

Your mod folder's units.csv would include only your modded units.
The game would initially load the default units.csv, then load the modded units.csv.
Modded items with would overwrite items with identical unit IDs.
Modded items with new unit IDs would be added to the default units.csv already loaded.

Hope this was fairly clear :D
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

I think it’s easier to exclude unwanted units if a mod only loads what is listed in the mod folder. This is especially useful for total-conversion mods that, for example, turns OOB into a fantasy game.

You can use a simple text-comparison web-tool to figure out changes in each file:
https://text-compare.com/

Open the units.csv files with a text-editor and copy & paste their content to the website.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

I'd like Eriks idea to be an alternative option inside mods. That would make my life way easier with updates (same as terminator's).

There's already a "mod.txt" file present, with e.g. an option to use only mod-exclusive scenarios. Why not a similar option to use "changed units only" (?)
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm
terminator wrote:Cavalry :
I do not think that the cavalry still attacked by charging during the World War II. The riders attacked rather once gone down from their horses. The horse served rather as means of transportation.
That is, party true. Mounted battle did happen, but yes mainly, cavalry was more like mounted infantry - they were called dragoons in the 1800's. Lancers, uhlans, hussars, cossacks did fight mounted that was their main type of combat they were trained for. Post WWI battlegrounds where cavalry was pressed into combat was Manchuria/Mongolia, China, Poland vs Soviet Union (19-20), Poland in 1939, Soviet Union throughout the war, Hungary in the USSR 1941-42, and I'd bet they were used in Spain as well. In Japan they were in particularly high esteem due to traditions in the military.

Horse transportation is an idea I also had, but I thought it would be useless, since cavalry has the same movement as foot infantry. It can still be done, perhaps adding Cavalry type guerilla, so at least the won't get tired.. but not a big difference.
The last great cavalry charges with the participation of several thousand (10.000+) of horsemen took place in the winter of 1945 in East Prussia and in Pomerania (areas of today's Poland).
These were difficult areas for mechanized units, huge forest complexes, many rivers and even more lakes - ideal conditions for using large cavalry units.
Of course, there were charging the Soviet cavalry corps + Polish cavalry units from the Polish army created by the communist government installed in Poland in 1944 by the Soviets
You forgot about Arab riders (on horses and camels) attacking British, Turkish or French Foreign Legion in the Middle East and North Africa in the first half of the 20th century
Interesting were also the so-called "bands" - Italian mounted auxiliary units made up of Somalis, which helped to conquer British and French Somalia in 1940, and later in 1941 assisted the Italian army in defending Ethiopia against the British.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I prefer to make mini-mod at present, it is much easier. If you are interested in Sandstorm, I could make a mini--mod with new musics, some "new units" ...

Screenshot 701.png
Screenshot 701.png (550.49 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
alex1917
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by alex1917 »

some "new units" ?) very interesting) the Italians do not have the following units: infantry MVSN, Marines, Autoprotetto S37 (1942), FIAT 665NM Skudato, Autoblinda Lince (1942)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

alex1917 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 pm some "new units" ?) very interesting) the Italians do not have the following units: infantry MVSN, Marines, Autoprotetto S37 (1942), FIAT 665NM Skudato, Autoblinda Lince (1942)
They are not really new units, they are just variations of existing units : Security units (German & Italy), Conscripts (Italy), Heavy Mortar unit (Germany), Brandenburg Commandos (Germany)...

Example Finland Security Unit (Rifleman X 2) :

security(0).png
security(0).png (316.14 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Horst

Post by Horst »

You should add a download link in your first post here.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I do not like specially the emblem "green usa". It does not correspond to the flag.
Maybe this emblem could be better ?

Screenshot 797.png
Screenshot 797.png (927.3 KiB) Viewed 3732 times

The UI could be something like this :

Screenshot 801.png
Screenshot 801.png (812.24 KiB) Viewed 3703 times

Maybe the final version :

Screenshot 802.png
Screenshot 802.png (427.33 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Last edited by terminator on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

"Green USA" could become a new faction ?

Screenshot 799.png
Screenshot 799.png (536.75 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Horst wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:08 pm You should add a download link in your first post here.
They are just experiments (alpha or beta test).
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Italian Saharan infantry :

Inspired by Saharan Inf (Panzercorps). Historically : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Saharan_Company

I have choose normal infantry, maybe I should have taken commando abilities ?

Blue circle = target

To move, there are 2 possibilities :

Screenshot 917.jpg
Screenshot 917.jpg (189.12 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Screenshot 918.jpg
Screenshot 918.jpg (190.7 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Screenshot 919.jpg
Screenshot 919.jpg (413.49 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Last edited by terminator on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

To attack, there are 2 possibilities :

Screenshot 920.jpg
Screenshot 920.jpg (241.03 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
Screenshot 921.jpg
Screenshot 921.jpg (216.7 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

I thought about panzergrenadier with Admiral's Alternate Arsenal.

This is what a unit of panzergrenadier in a single tour could make :

1. We rise in the armored vehicle to move :

Screenshot 952.jpg
Screenshot 952.jpg (451.91 KiB) Viewed 3430 times

2. Once moved, we see no precise target :

Screenshot 954.jpg
Screenshot 954.jpg (543.39 KiB) Viewed 3430 times

3. We come down from the vehicle to see better :

Screenshot 956.jpg
Screenshot 956.jpg (470.95 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

4. Now we can fire at the target by raising in the vehicle:

Screenshot 957.jpg
Screenshot 957.jpg (553.42 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

So you completely replaced the heavy inf - mortar inf stuff with inf - mortar APC one... am I correct?

EDIT> I was thinking something similar - but with the two new APC-s SdKfz 251/9 (Short 75mm, ranged ala cheepo StuG vs. Inf) and 75mm PAK-wagen (More AT power, less HE against weakened armor). I left the mortars for "regular" heavy inf on the advance as transport - to simply enable mortar fire after transport move. Mortar-wagen has little fighting power as an armoured unit.

There's also a SdKfz 250/2 with 37mm AT, you may try. I reserved those to "heavy", combat engineers and Panzer Aufklarungsgruppe scouts (Foot recon/commando mainly with APC support). SOmething similar to your Infanteria Sahariana

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”