Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

phonecall
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

mdt to mdb

Post by phonecall »

Hi
Maybe someone could help me.
As I understand when we run it OoB should convert mdt file to mdb file. So...I've made a file (a simple test cube) with Gmax then I exported it to mdt format using the script. Then I pasted the result in a txt file with mdt extention.
At the end I put this mdt file file within Units folder. Unfortunatelly when I run the game nothing change. The mdt file is not converted in mdb file. Where am I wrong ?
phonecall

Re: mdt to mdb

Post by phonecall »

Ok...
For those like me who are not as advanced as most of people over here, here are few tips.

In order to get mdt files converted to mdb:

- 1. create a custom unit entry in your units.csv file (in data folder).
- 2. create an icon of your object and paste it into Mods\Your mod name\Graphics\Units (well this is absolutely not essential but it helps).
- 3. launch the game then the editor and place your new object on the map.

That's it ! I hope it helps newbies like me.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

I would already be happy to have access to the existing unit pictures to create clones of existing units. 3d-stuff is a rather untouched here, and those who are able tend not to share.
At moment, you can rather only use the same unit-name but different id if you like to keep the picture. Doing screenshots in game and modifying them for clone units is simply terrible.
Well, well, the graphic and sound stuff has always been treasured by devs to prevent annoying wanna-be professionals stealing some profit. If you don't have the tools and/or knowledge to crack the archives, you won't accomplish much. Good for them, bad for us amateurish modders.
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

As I understand you'd like to use a default 3d model + its icon but with a different name in the game/editor? Correct ?

If so then just add a ligne at the bottom of the unit_xxx list on the english_9.txt.(or whatever language used I guess).
So just for fun I've added a clone of the kingfisher line in the units.cvs with a new id (2502) and a new entry to english_9.txt.
like this: unit_2502 = Queenfisher

Now in the game I have build a girlfriend to this poor lonesome fisher :roll: .
Horst

Post by Horst »

Yes, I know how to create new unit variants with original unit-names and original models. I already did that for the many missing engineer variants before.
I’m rather only looking for the original 2d unit pictures, those that show in game in the purchase and unit detail screen.
Let’s say you create a unit variant, like an Opel Blitz A(ll-wheel drive) and have to add this with unique unit-name in units.csv and the transport column. You have to use unique names in the transport column, otherwise it will only show the original Opel Blitz (S) transport if you list two identical names. You unfortunately can’t add id-numbers there what would have been easier.
Each unit name in units.csv is tied to a unit picture somewhere hidden in the game archives. To give your new Opel transport variant the same original picture, you have to make a screenshot in game and cut & edit it madly until it finally fits in the game.
So far, I only bothered to do that for the Opel Blitz A and the Fw 190F bomb-variant that can be switched between the original fighter-variant.
Heck, I would never ask for new 3d models. I can live with the original 3d-stuff, but if someone is giving away such freely, I would gladly import them into the game either, although these models should look very similar like the original ones. I don't like to mix too different styles.
Oh well, everything was definitely easier in Panzer Corps with only 2d unit pictures that weren’t too hard to produce.

phonecall, have you created new 3d-models or do you have some models from other games that you are currently getting into the game?
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Maybe you could use PzC 2d units in OOB? There are loads of them.
Just guessing...
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

Creating 3d objects is not a technical issue.Frankly I really well know the job.
So far I've just created a test model (box+ sphere) using Gmax. it works fine except for animations and missing shadow.

If the Gmax script works properly then I've missed something in my Gmax settings (material or missing nodes). Maybe screenshooters could give an help..., i'll ask.

This said, I can send you the original Opel Blitz A and the Fw 190F converted to PNG. Give me an adress.
Horst

Post by Horst »

box shape, that's how tank development started in WW1 too! :)

I think my snapshot units still look fine, but the original ones from the game archives would be welcome too, ofc. If someone can upload such pictures somewhere or even the whole collection of original 2d-pictures, I'd be happy.

I remember the official Battle of Britain mod still has some units I hadn't manage to get into the vanilla game yet including the 2d pictures showing. No idea what's the trick to do that, but it was some time ago.
Attachments
Opel_Blitz_A.png
Opel_Blitz_A.png (11.97 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Fw190_F_B.png
Fw190_F_B.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

Last edited by phonecall on Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horst

Post by Horst »

That's strange. If I copy the whole Units folder with the mdb and texture files over and the Graphics\Units folder from BoB mod then only the 2d picture is showing, for example the 20mm_Flak_38. My units.csv line should work as I only need to replace the models-column entry with 37mm_FlaK37 to make the 3d-unit show up in the game.
What am I missing?

Phone, your link isn't working.

Edit: it's the typical "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error of the game if I use "20mm_Flak_38" as model. The 2d picture is correctly showing, so the unit name seems correct at least.
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

link above updated
Horst

Post by Horst »

Thanks, phone, my cut & edit wasn't that terrible after all if I compare the pix!
Do you have the unity-engine dev kit to extract the data?
Horst

Post by Horst »

I’d like to create switches for some aircrafts that require the 2d picture, like:
Bf109_E
Bf109_F
Bf109_G
Bf109_K
Bf109_T
Bf110_C
Bf110_D
Bf110_E
Fw190_A
FW_200
Do17_Z
He111_E
He111_H
Ju88_A
Ar196
Do18
BV_138

That should be enough for the start to keep me busy for a while.
How many MB is the whole Graphics\Units folder, including all DLC archives? Too much to upload?
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

Horst

Post by Horst »

Terrific, thanks, man! :D

I bet others could benefit from it either if you post the whole 2d collection in a new topic here. Creating all kind of new variants is at least a good start to get the mod-ball running here. If these pictures are that small, then the whole collection can't be much larger than 10 MB.
I asked for such 2d accessibility some time ago, but only to fall on deaf ears so far. I can understand that professionals like to protect their 3d-models, but simple 2d copies of them to create mods with their game should hopefully not do any harm.
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

I understand what you mean but I'm more than reluctant to massive release.
Maybe devellopers just don't want to get involved too much into endless modder's requests but maybe their copyright policy is very strict.
Devellopers if you read this please reply ! :D
Horst

Post by Horst »

Is there a reason why the new pictures are all mirrored to the left instead of the game's right direction?
Oh well, shouldn't be much work to correct this.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Btw, you missed the Bf 110C in that package. Thanks again, I'm already half-way through adding all the tactical-/strategic-bomber switches! :)
phonecall

Post by phonecall »

Horst

Post by Horst »

Got it, thanks a lot!

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”