Custom campaign - Finland in WW 2 (v1.1 released 15.09.2016)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Custom campaign - Finland in WW 2 (v1.1 released 15.09.2016)

Post by Uhu »

Heroic defenders of the Finnish motherland! Here comes another opportunity, where you can prove your courage and tenacity!

Download v1.1:
https://panzercorps.wordpress.com/2016/ ... rld-war-2/

I took the original Winter War DLC campaign and started to develop it further:

- Building a what-if path in the campaign - with extraordinary actions the campaign and the end results will be different.
- Historical accuracy: units availability, unit stats, units, which were available in the given time at the given battle/region.
- By making these historical changes, the gameplay will change. For example, you get the first tank later, but you got a 122mm howitzer instead.
- Several new units (mostly captured)
- Additional Soviet commanders
- New background pictures (changeable)
- I also make it more story-oriented: more personal briefings and a lot of more pictures, screens and informations will you get by playing the campaign.
- With the historical changes, the gameplay will be slightly harder. But no need to worry: with smart gameplay, everything is possible. ;) (I play/test it on hardest level, so, on lower level, it is even easier).
- Authentic Finnish military formation names for Finnish units. It is just some spice, to enhance the immersion and it is optional, as the player do not rename his own units, or can rename them back to original. Anyway, a table will be included, to understand the Finnish military abbreviations. :)
- One inf unit represent about 2 inf battalions, one arty unit 2 arty battalions, one tank unit 2 tank companies and one airplane a squad (this can be changed later, if needed to part of a squad).
- Leaving the total unrealistic Someri scenario out and creating at least two others: Karhumäki-Povetsa operation (dec, 1941), Vuossalmi (July, 1944).

*- If there are volunters, who help to create additional scenarios (Erik promised help, but he has also his limits), than an even a more different what-if campaign could be created, with the capture of Murmansk, the siege and capture of Leningrad - or advance even more east...?

For who is recommended this campaign:
- who like playing WW2 games historical accurate
- who like to see more visuals, informations, story-mode, immersion
- who is motivated for what-if goals and campaign endings
- who has already played the original campaign through, but has not enough, and would play a slightly different gameplay

V1.1 changes:

- Major victory conditions fixed at Karelian Isthmus and Summa_extra (campaign critical issue)
- One of the wrong gift-122mm arty type corrected in Tolvajerli
- Changed airfields in Suomussalmi to exit/redeployment air zones to make the scn more realistic
- BA-10 stats corrected, scenarios ballanced to this change
- Weather is changing in the scenarios: snow starts falling, or stop.
- Lowered the strength of the supply trucks in Ladoga Karelia scn to remove the possibility of using them as shields
- Lowered the strength of the supply trucks in Summa scn to remove the possibility of using them as shields
- Known issues:
Sometimes popup messages do not appear on the screen at scn start. If nothing shows up at Suomussalmi/extra, or at Summa/extra, be suspicious and reload the scn, because these popups adds additional information to the scenario, or to the campaign.

*If you want to continue the v1.0 campaign, it is advised, you continue not later, than from Tolvajerli, starting the campaign from the between-scn, campaign screen. Sorry guys, but huge changes had to made in the campaign path and in the endresults of the scns and it cannot work in a differen way. I promise, such one will not happen later. Install: simply owerwrite all files. Your saves will be save.

- Important hints:
* You just need achive Major Victories at Karelian Isthmus AND Summa_extra scns the step on the alternate, what-if campaign path. In every other scn, it is not a must, to achive (all) secondary goals.
* It is advised to have a tactical bomber, because at least in one of the later scn (Arctic Fox), without it, you cannot achive a given secondary goal. It is not campaign critical though, just the scn will be harder to win, without achiving it.
Have fun! :)

Last edited by Uhu on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
earlecook
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Finland in World War 2 - custom campaign (WW)

Post by earlecook »

Looks like a big project. If you need help with American English on your Events, I may be able to help you. English - English so to speak - Not so much :D
bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 »

Good job
Last edited by bcnkor5 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

WOW, very interesting project Uhu! :D
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Really intriguing.
Uhu

Re: Custom campaign - Finland in WW 2 (Part I released!)

Post by Uhu »

First part, covering 1939-40 is released!
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Uhu wrote:First part, covering 1939-40 is released!
Thanks Uhu! :D
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

I found a bug in the campaign: although the player achive both secondary goals at the Karelian Isthmus scenario, he just get a simple victory - and to go on the what-if path, Major Victory is needed. I don't know, why the scenario settings do not work, I asked Erik, hopefully, he can find the solution.
Until that, you can do the following, to be on the right path:
1., Edit the file "data.cmp", which is here: \Mods\Finland in World War 2\Campaigns\Finland at War\ with a text editor.
2., Search this part in the file:
[Karelian_Isthmus]
location = 4.129,-2.098
scenario = 2_KarelianIsthmus
result = -2,-2,-2,3,4
3., Change the number 3 to 4 and save.

Now, if you start the scenario, or just load a savegame, when you proceed further in the campaign, the next scn will be Suomussalmi_extra, which should be. But do it only, if you achived successfully both secondary goal, other way, it would be cheating. :) Hopefully, soon the real solution will be found.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Version 1.1 with critical fixes arrived! It is strongly advised to install it, after you read the readme!
Download link in the first comment.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Uhu wrote:Version 1.1 with critical fixes arrived! It is strongly advised to install it, after you read the readme!
Download link in the first comment.
Thanks for update Uhu!
Cobramys
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Custom campaign - Finland in WW 2 (v1.1 released 15.09.2

Post by Cobramys »

Hi Uhu,

Great job with the campaign !
Could you point some main differences between standard scenarios and those "extra" ?
When do you plan release of further parts of campaign ?

I would be very greatfull for the reply.

Regards

Cobramys
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Welcome Cobramys,

thank you, I'm happy, you like it! So, you already finished the part I?
The extra scenarios are showing the way of the what-if path(s). It not means, that once you played an extra scn, you will be always on this path till the end - only if you achive the best (most time - it is not always a must).

Well, I was sucked in - again... :roll: :D - in the Battlefield Europe PzC mod, so there are some delays. I already playtested two more scns and I'm not far playtesting the next (East Karelia). After that, a brand new scn has to be created and with that part II will be ready. The third part will be continued from 1944, where also a brand new scn is planned to be created.
Cobramys wrote:Hi Uhu,

Great job with the campaign !
Could you point some main differences between standard scenarios and those "extra" ?
When do you plan release of further parts of campaign ?

I would be very greatfull for the reply.

Regards

Cobramys
Cobramys

Post by Cobramys »

Dear Uhu,

Thank you for replying. Yes I have finished them all and await further part.
I play at maximum difficulty level (+3 AI strength) and for the winter war this is great fun as this is challenging.

I noticed in your mod:
- new equipment
- I think more historic flavor

I just wonder what are the differences for example between Summa (Suomussalmi, Raate road) and Summa (Suomussalmi, Raate road) extra ?
Is it more/different AI units through the scenario, different AI behavior, other ?
The initial setup and objectives looks the same to me and I wonder what are the differences ?

Regards

Cobramys
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Congratulations! I play also on the hardest level and even for me, it is really hard to play (OK, it's also a cause, why I'm working on this campaign, to make it challengeable). May I ask, with what core do you drive through the Soviet masses?

Suomussalmi and Raate Road scns have a lot of differences, compared to the vanilla campaing, but actually thay have no differences between the normal and the "extra" versions. I simply couldn't find any other working solution to make the campaign path dividing.

Cobramys wrote:Dear Uhu,

Thank you for replying. Yes I have finished them all and await further part.
I play at maximum difficulty level (+3 AI strength) and for the winter war this is great fun as this is challenging.

I noticed in your mod:
- new equipment
- I think more historic flavor

I just wonder what are the differences for example between Summa (Suomussalmi, Raate road) and Summa (Suomussalmi, Raate road) extra ?
Is it more/different AI units through the scenario, different AI behavior, other ?
The initial setup and objectives looks the same to me and I wonder what are the differences ?

Regards

Cobramys
Cobramys

Post by Cobramys »

Hi Uhu,

Congratulations to you as well !
Thanks for clarification about scenarios.

Regarding your question about core I heavily rely on Heavy Infantry as I found fighting with ski troops is far less cost effective.
I use AA guns 40ItK/36 too shoot mainly at fighters and than defend key targets with fighters against bombers or shoot at bombers if I can afford losses in air power.
I use not too much transport as to be able to deploy more troops.

My core for Suomussalmi extra:

5 Heavy Infantry 39 (one with truck)
3 Ski Troops 39 (no trucks)
1 37 PstK/36 (no truck)
1 45mm M 1937 (no truck)
1 76 K/02 (no truck)
2 76 mm M1930 (one with truck)
2 40ItK/36 (one with truck)
3 Fokker D.XXI
1 Morane-Saulnier (managed to upgrade just one as I decided to upgrade arty for longer range)
2 Fokker C.X (one deployed)

I am sure there are many effective combinations and playing styles. Would you be so kind to share yours ? I am very curious :)

Regards

Cobramys
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Thank you!
Wow! A totally different core configuration of yours!
And I was on the belief, that on hardest level, only my core composition can achive major victories. :lol:
Yes, Heavy Inf is a must, especially, until we do not have significant armor powers. While a nice invention with the mortars as long range arty, which is balanced with the slower movement, they are still overpowered. I did not wanted to change their stats deep, fearing not to off balance the scns. (Hint: ...but there will be no continous inf upgrades, which would make inf ridiculous strong - stronger than tanks).

I also wonder, while this many Hvy Inf in your army is a bless at defensive scns, how can you timely achive your goals at attacking scns, like Tolvajerli?

At Suomussalmi I had in my core:
- 2x Heavy Inf (without transport)
- 4x Ski Inf (I rely heavy on them, because they are fast, ideal for a lot of "cutting the enemy off" actions and stronger than regular inf)
- 3x 76/K02 arty (with trucks)
- 1x 122mm captured arty (with trucks)
- 2x 40 ltK/36 (1 with transport)
- 2x Fokker XXI fighter (I wonder, how you have MS 406 - it should be available only from Summa, as the 76mm M1930 arty too! :shock: )
- 1x Blackburn Ripon recon
- 1x Fokker C.X (it is a must for achiving one of the secondary goal at Arctic Fox)
- 1x Bristol Blenheim

My core at starting of Ladoga Karelia'41:
- 3x Heavy Inf (without transport)
- 5x Regular Inf '40 (converted from Ski Inf)
- 1x T-26E (Vickers upgraded)
- 1x T-26
- 1x 45mm AT gun (without transport)
- 2x 76mm M1930 arty (with trucks)
- 1x 105/K13 arty (with trucks)
- 1x 122mm captured arty - upgraded M1939 version with range 5 (with trucks)
- 2x 40 ltK/36 (both with trucks)
- 1x 76 ltK/29 (without transport)
- 1x Blackburn Ripon recon
- 1x MS.406 fighter
- 1x P-36 Hawk fighter
- 1x F2A Buffalo fighter
- 1x Fokker C.X
- 1x Bristol Blenheim
Cobramys wrote:Hi Uhu,

Congratulations to you as well !
Thanks for clarification about scenarios.

Regarding your question about core I heavily rely on Heavy Infantry as I found fighting with ski troops is far less cost effective.
I use AA guns 40ItK/36 too shoot mainly at fighters and than defend key targets with fighters against bombers or shoot at bombers if I can afford losses in air power.
I use not too much transport as to be able to deploy more troops.

My core for Suomussalmi extra:

5 Heavy Infantry 39 (one with truck)
3 Ski Troops 39 (no trucks)
1 37 PstK/36 (no truck)
1 45mm M 1937 (no truck)
1 76 K/02 (no truck)
2 76 mm M1930 (one with truck)
2 40ItK/36 (one with truck)
3 Fokker D.XXI
1 Morane-Saulnier (managed to upgrade just one as I decided to upgrade arty for longer range)
2 Fokker C.X (one deployed)

I am sure there are many effective combinations and playing styles. Would you be so kind to share yours ? I am very curious :)

Regards

Cobramys
Last edited by Uhu on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Cobramys wrote: I am sure there are many effective combinations and playing styles. Would you be so kind to share yours ? I am very curious :)
Sad, there is no Save Replay option in OOB, like in PzC - we could just share them.

My tactics:
- Arty is a very important tool to soften the enemy and drain it's effectiveness
- Heavy Inf acts like "inf tanks" + blocking force + arty
- Ski troops are there for moving fast units from one location to other, therefore also firefighters + cut of enemy, especially armor
- I always try to finish off weakened enemy to not come back later again (I like zombie films ;) )
- I use AA to weaken the hostile fighters, than finish them with my fighters. After that, I go for hostile bombers and unleash my bombers
- I use armor and AT gun very carefully to avoid big casualties
- I use reload a lot of and replay the scns as long, as there is an ideal outcome
leci
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by leci »

Hello - I cannot change the .doc extension to .zip.

Which of /my games/ folder do I put the file into?

Thanks.
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Hi,

1., What do you mean, you cannot rename the extension? What happens? Are the known extensions set to visible in you system?

2., I have it here (WinXp): C:\Documents and Settings\Uhu\My Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2
But it depends, how you named your game, when installing it. You should than search for the given names, if you cannot find other way.

* I don't know, how it works with the new patch. I will look for it and continue the mod/campaign, but I have now other things to do.
leci wrote:Hello - I cannot change the .doc extension to .zip.

Which of /my games/ folder do I put the file into?

Thanks.
leci

Post by leci »

Thanks for the PM and forum reply. But, I cannot rename the .doc extension file - under WIN10, Word tries to open and fails. If I try to rename the download it becomes 'file.zip.doc and Word once again tries to open.

Why could the file not be downloaded as .zip file in the first place?

I appreciate all your work and this makes it more frustrating that I cannot install and run your Mod.
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”