Difficulty Levels..

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Difficulty Levels..

Post by steevodeevo »

Ive been playing with various difficulty levels to work out what they actually do, and have had some good feedback from Devs, Moderators and Players.

From what I understand, and its limited:

- Higher difficulty levels increase Unit strength. I believe it varies from 8 up to... 14? (could be more or less, not sure),
- This strength makes the units harder to 'take out' completely, so they can retreat, heal up and live to fight another day,
- As the AI level set for a retreat is triggered by Unit losses (not sure whether a percentage of max strength or a hard number), it makes the AI intrinsically more aggressive.

Beyond this I don't know whether there are any changes to Player or AI CPs or RPs or whether the underlying AI is in some way tweaked, but I've personally found that even with these basic changes, difficulty ramps quite steeply from one level to the next.

I have been wondering whilst struggling through a few higher level scenarios, whether, other than for the personal challenge, there is there any practical benefit in playing at a higher difficulty level? For example, do you get bigger RP, CP rewards or experience? Are you more likely to get bonus units or Commanders? I'm pretty sure this is not the case, but I just wanted to check with folks.

I decided to play Blitzkrieg over again at a higher difficulty level whilst the content of Panzerkrieg stabilises, but also in hope that there may be some benefit in doing so when I move on to PK. I'm having a bit of a struggle on one or two BK scenarios, and therefore started to wonder whether it was worth doing this..
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Difficulty Levels..

Post by kondi754 »

steevodeevo wrote:Ive been playing with various difficulty levels to work out what they actually do, and have had some good feedback from Devs, Moderators and Players.

From what I understand, and its limited:

- Higher difficulty levels increase Unit strength. I believe it varies from 8 up to... 14? (could be more or less, not sure),
- This strength makes the units harder to 'take out' completely, so they can retreat, heal up and live to fight another day,
- As the AI level set for a retreat is triggered by Unit losses (not sure whether a percentage of max strength or a hard number), it makes the AI intrinsically more aggressive.

Beyond this I don't know whether there are any changes to Player or AI CPs or RPs or whether the underlying AI is in some way tweaked, but I've personally found that even with these basic changes, difficulty ramps quite steeply from one level to the next.

I have been wondering whilst struggling through a few higher level scenarios, whether, other than for the personal challenge, there is there any practical benefit in playing at a higher difficulty level? For example, do you get bigger RP, CP rewards or experience? Are you more likely to get bonus units or Commanders? I'm pretty sure this is not the case, but I just wanted to check with folks.

I decided to play Blitzkrieg over again at a higher difficulty level whilst the content of Panzerkrieg stabilises, but also in hope that there may be some benefit in doing so when I move on to PK. I'm having a bit of a struggle on one or two BK scenarios, and therefore started to wonder whether it was worth doing this..
2nd level - enemy units have 8 strenght
3rd - 10
4th - 12
5th - 13

It is the only difference, all other things are the same - RP, CP, rewards and specs
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

In a way it is a game that we do for enjoyment in our "spare" time so maybe the focus is simplified to set it at a level that is enjoyable rather than you only get to kiss the ring if you first go through the ordeal for some of us to play the scenario 5 times in order to figure out how to beat it on the hardest level. Which for me playing on Major level I think the harder ones would be impossible - I scream at the monitor enough as it is - "are you kidding me" and "really" because for example the enemy just keeps coming and getting behind me then more come then they rebuild and my units are mostly to worn out to even attack.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

@gunnyjs

:) I think we've all been there...
kondi754 wrote:It is the only difference, all other things are the same - RP, CP, rewards and specs
This hasn't to be true 100% BTW, as it's possible to adjust changes to units & rewards within scenarios according to the player's difficulty settings.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - AAR”