Baffled by Unit comparison graphic?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Baffled by Unit comparison graphic?

Post by steevodeevo »

Ok it's time to be humble and ask..

I've played OoB for years, and I still can't understand the unit comparisons in the purchase or upgrade units screen(s).

Firstly there are two numbers for the effectiveness of a unit. This seems to be a range of values (max min) depending on terrain and who they're fighting against, not all stats obviously will have this range, but some do. That's fine for me so far..

Then however when I compare units, to see if i wish to upgrade one, I get in a complete confused mess...

It would appear that depending on which unit you select as the base unit to compare the other with (you hover over the other), there is a yellow highlight where the stat is different, I believe this is where that stat is better (I think) .

HOWEVER, if your currently selected unit has a better stat, it's stat is highlighted in yellow, and if your base selected unit is the possible upgrade unit, then the new units highlight is also yellow.

I find myself constantly switching between which units are selected as the base unit trying to find out which one is better in which stat!

It's a complete and unnecessary pain for my feeble brain and surely could be so easily handled as with thousands of other games by simply highlighting (against the selected base unit) which stat is better (green) same (black) or worse (red).

OK, i'm fine now.

thanks for listening.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Baffled by Unit comparison graphic?

Post by Erik2 »

+1

I've playing OOB since the original beta and I'm still confused :roll:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

+1. Certainly OOB could improve on is transparency of its gameplay mechanics. Armchair generals (at least I) spend large amounts of time examining unit statistics before the battle to determine general positioning and strategy on the map (simple example: tanks and SPGs when assaulting in open terrain or infantry and ATs when defending cities/covered areas).
The UI is certainly up for an upgrade! Some things that could use a facelift are:

- Unit statistics panel is unclear and not complete- ex. unit move type across different terain and LOS cost missing.

- Unit “perks” menu is not complete and difficult to access- ex. it would be good to know ATs always provide anti-tank support, recon units can move twice, etc. either there or somewhere else that is clearly accessible.

- Enemy unit “perks” are not visible- make enemy units examinable like friendly ones?

- Unit upgrade paths – some way of knowing (maybe separate manual to avoid “spoilers”) which unit you can upgrade and when? I had to restart several times because a unit I just upgraded got a new model very soon after. The units.csv file is very difficult to read for non-modders like me.
sthanno
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by sthanno »

I can't remember his name but he created an app called the Unit Navigator. It completely rocks:

http://mfendek.byethost16.com/?f=%7B%22id%22%3A199%7D
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

What has helped me but it may be because I am delusional and not realizing its even helping me out but when I for example go to maybe upgrade a unit then I hover over possible upgrades.

THE YELLOW highlighted numbers are quite confusing but maybe I am missing something it seems they refer to the unit I may upgrade to but upon closer examination sometimes some of the yellow highlighted numbers refer to the unit I am upgrading to and some of the numbers still refer to the original unit.

So what I do is before I upgrade I first click on the PURCHASE SCREEN then I click on ONE Unit at a time and look at all of its numbers Then I click off of this unit and look at all of its numbers and if necessary take notes and write down on paper the differences - Then I figure out if I want to upgrade to it or buy it - I most always completed click off of a unit rather than clicking one and then hovering the mouse around it is quite confusing.

I used to think the 2nd number refers to the upgrade unit but I don't think this is always true then I thought the highlighted numbers refer to the upgrade unit but nope not so.

Just keep it simple but tedious click on one unit at a time and if you cannot remember write it down.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Granted, the implemented system's truely confusing. Although the logic is sound (better=yellow, hovered over unit=rightward value) it's still confusing. But actually I have no suggestions as how to change it for the better...
RenMan68
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by RenMan68 »

I'm glad somebody brought this up because I, too, have played OoB for years and find it similarly confusing and lacking. Thanks for bringing it up!
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I moved this thread to the main forum because it deserves more prominence than it will receive in the After Action Report forum. If the Unit Navigator could be incorporated directly into the game somehow, that would be ideal.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle Series”