Marine Campaign Series

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Pruitt
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Marine Campaign Series

Post by Pruitt »

I got about halfway up the Solomons and I got all the objectives except the "Clear Moro (?) Island. I was told I was defeated and the Campaign ended. How do you win this scenario?

Pruitt
jakemon
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Marine Campaign Series

Post by jakemon »

The US Marines scenario 4 Operation Blissful & Goodtime has 3 separate parts:

1. Op Bliss has 2 raiding parties for hit & run attacks against the fuel depots on Choiseul Island. On the middle difficulty setting, it will usually take 2 strikes to destroy a depot. Use your PT boats (and LCs) to inflict infantry and pillbox casualties. The PTs allow your troops to re-embark and head for the next target. I like to add a Marine to the southern raiding group just in case. Be sure to visit the southern most resource and evacuate the prize. These raiders operate independently and will not have enough time to join the fight on Mono Island.

2. Your main effort joins the NZ units against Sterling Island. Choose fast infantry from your core- armor and artillery are of limited value. Sterling Island is skinny and there is almost no room to maneuver. Land the NZ units in the west and steam everyone else eastward looking for open spots to land. One or two units on the southern side of Sterling helps, but your bulk is in the channel between Sterling and Mono. Use your gunboats for naval support and re-embarkation- there are no naval enemies, but you'll need to keep your AA central to oppose enemy air assets. Stay off Mono Island until Sterling is clear: then everybody pivots north to land on Mono's southern shore.

3. The fight on Mono's southern shore is tense as you try to get a hex or two for breathing room to rest & rehab any battered units. As you gain the upper hand, try to kill enemies to keep them from slipping off into the jungle. When you take the port city of Falamae, you'll receive 24 more land CPs. Use these to launch a second invasion force on the north side of Mono. As soon as possible, dispatch a unit north on each of the shore roads. These usually don't have any opposition seizing the eastern & western objectives, and can help on the flanks of the northern invasion force. It helps to split the northern invasion force to assault both sides of Soanotalu, but be mindful of strong counterattacks. Again, go for the kills whenever possible, and remember the clock is ticking...
gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs »

If can help to on that larger island to take both flags or cities or whatever it is - CUT OFF THE ENEMIES SUPPLY this makes it easier to wipe them entirely out. Purse enemies don't let them run off to much

Put your arty on the tiny center island so no one can mess with it. Use your boats that are next to the big and smaller island to bombard stuff. Attach the smaller island in such a way to cut off its supply too take that center flag supply thing in the center part of the island. Hit that stupid bunker from two sides using a boat to provide supply to a unit that just landed near it if needed. Again use the boats to bombard that bunker that sits out on that finger that can only be attacked by one unit unless you land a unit behind it. Those two islands next to each other where most of the fighting happens ... use the port there when needed to disembark and move a unit or two once that larger island is clear to the smaller island that has to be cleared also what I mean is get a unit in the port launch onto a troop ship by clicking on a sea hex then land that unit on the smaller island and kill stuff.
jakemon

Post by jakemon »

My recent replay of the US Marines campaign on version 5.2.3 x64 had no significant issues.

I agree artillery has a role in the Part2 assault on Sterling Island. Add a LongTom to the initial deployment and sail it the first single-hex island. It is in supply, will help clear Sterling and assist the landing on Southern Mono. Use the PTs to evacuate your infantry from Sterling when they're fallen behind the front lines- they'll recover efficiency waiting on transports.

Falamae is the prime objective of the Part3 strike on Southern Mono, but there are enough infantry assets to fan out on the beaches. Stay in contact as the enemy line crumbles and get the kills. My last assault with the Falamae bonus on the northern shore took the northern city without much resistance, and I had to go into the jungles to find all the hold-outs. Next time I may try landing a light force on each side of the city, and play volleyball on the beach for a few turns to see if that lures them out into the open.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - AAR”