Spitfire II on carrier

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Spitfire II on carrier

Post by Erik2 »

I was able to land this Spitfire II on a carrier. It does not have the carrier plane trait.
Just a glitch?
spitfire_on_carrier.jpg
spitfire_on_carrier.jpg (112.18 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Spitfire II on carrier

Post by Horst »

It’s not the only Spitfire II, but also V, XI and VIII can land on carriers. The carrier trait is only responsible for the text. Quite ancient bugs since the introduction of these planes as it seems.
All the flying boats in the game can also land on carriers what shouldn’t be possible either.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Erik2 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am I was able to land this Spitfire II on a carrier. It does not have the carrier plane trait.
Just a glitch?
Thx for reporting - besides the trait there is also a specific "carrier" entry which could be wrongly set.

As for flying boats I'm not sure if that shouldn't stay for gameplay reasons:

They don't exactly "land" on cruisers either, but get usually lifted aboard by crane for refuel etc. I have no idea if that was in fact being done by carriers too historically, but there may be situations where this makes sense from a pure gameplay POV.
JB72
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JB72 »

Hi Bebro - I like to use the Spitfire II also for carriers - its possible to set also an own Mini planes Spitfire for the carriers decoration ?
Horst

Post by Horst »

I wasn't really that sure if seaplane tenders could actually lift these heavy and large/wide flying boats on the deck, but this picture here nicely shows the Bussard with three BV 138. Note the huge 20t crane.
Bussard.jpg
Bussard.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
I don't know any true aircraft carriers that could host such flying boats or even seaplanes with floats. Dunno, maybe the flight deck is too high, a ship balance issue, or a crane like the heavy one of the Bussard would have wasted too much space. You can also read here in the first paragraph of the Seagull planes that it has to switch to wheel configuration when serving on airfields and carriers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_SOC_Seagull
Just info for anyone who is curious.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 am Quite ancient bugs since the introduction of these planes as it seems.
Yeah, I've also reported this issue some time ago - and it's corrected in my mod already.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”