Coastal Road Seaside Hex Distortion

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Coastal Road Seaside Hex Distortion

Post by bru888 »

5.2.3. Somebody reported this elsewhere but I reproduced it here. It's not the coast itself but a road near the coast that produces this seaside hex distortion:
Screenshot 6.jpg
Screenshot 6.jpg (169.39 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
The person who reported it previously noticed it in Shards' Tallinn scenario, where it is quite evident:
Screenshot 7.jpg
Screenshot 7.jpg (260.48 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
- Bru
DetlefHarbemeyer
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Coastal Road Seaside Hex Distortion

Post by DetlefHarbemeyer »

Is it possible to repair this big graphical bug ? I dont like to play with this ugly maps.
Its really a shame that they sell a game in this way ! :evil:
bru888

Post by bru888 »

DetlefHarbemeyer wrote:Is it possible to repair this big graphical bug ? I dont like to play with this ugly maps.
Its really a shame that they sell a game in this way ! :evil:
If you have been around online computer games in a positive manner, watching them as they are developed, you should know that it's often a three-steps forward, one-step back, two-steps net gain process. The developers just took this game to 64-bit status on a Unity platform (I'm not sure myself what that means, but it was big).

I think we could cut them some slack, yes? You have 8 posts so far and every one of them is negative. A few are repetitive. Your very first post said "Is there a way to return the game? I bought it last week !" yet you have posted 7 more times.

So if you are that unhappy, why don't you ask for a refund? Or do you have some other purpose in mind?
- Bru
DetlefHarbemeyer

So if you are that unhappy, why don't you ask for a refund? Or do you have some other purpose in mind?
I like the game :D - but I hate that so many things are wrong. :cry:
Also I read that it is not really moddable - most 3d things in this game are very complicated for normal users - so there is no way to set some new parameters or units inside this nice engine.
I like to build my own Vietnam war with this game engine - but for now its not possible - nobody here can mod this game in this way.
I test the offered modding tools for 3ds max - but every of my 3d models I cant see in the engine - this tools dont work.
Last edited by DetlefHarbemeyer on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oleksandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Oleksandr »

There's the same problem with bridge hexes, unfortunately, where they meet water they have polygon edges
bru888

Post by bru888 »

DetlefHarbemeyer wrote:
I like the game :D - but I hate that so many things are wrong. :cry:
Also I read that it is not really moddable - most 3d things in this game are very complicated for normal users - so there is no way to set some new parameters or units inside this nice engine.
I like to build my own Vietnam war with this game engine - but for now its not possible - nobody here can mod this game in this way.
I test the offered modding tools for 3ds max - but every of my 3d models I cant see in the engine - this tools dont work.
This is the first of your posts that gives me hope for you. Okay, so you may not be who I thought you were.

Then let me make a suggestion. You have voiced your displeasure a few times over the same issues. I am sure that your complaints have been heard. The developers are constantly improving this game based partly on what the community brings up here in these forums.

So why not, in addition to valid criticisms, make some suggestions as well? Yes, sometimes it's valuable to have people reinforce each other that they are seeing the same issues but repetitive posts about how crappy the game is, which it is not or else I would not even be here, are not helpful at all.

That is, help to build this game rather than tearing it down with your first 8 posts in a row.
- Bru
DetlefHarbemeyer

This is the first of your posts that gives me hope for you. Okay, so you may not be who I thought you were.
Yes I love the game - but can you give me also an answer for my mod ideas ?
bru888

Post by bru888 »

DetlefHarbemeyer wrote:
Yes I love the game - but can you give me also an answer for my mod ideas ?
Well, it is possible to mod this game. For example, there is the Battle of Britain mod provided by the developers (which is currently offline and has been reported, so please don't bother with that - remember that this game underwent a big change a couple of weeks ago). I have seen others create mods, for example: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=81066

Instead of posting in Tech Support, why not start a new thread asking about mod design in the Scenario Design forum or even better, in the general forum? If you are polite and upbeat, perhaps mod designers may answer and be helpful. Maybe. Remember this is a small community. We are trying to grow it but it takes time.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

One happy result of this error is that I have gotten used to playing with the Tactical Map. Clear delineation of terrains and units and is it my imagination or do scenarios load faster when the Tactical Map is selected?

Still, this must be fixed and I hope it is soon. The volcano in my Voyage of the Bismarck does not look as impressive on the Tactical Map! :(
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

A crude but effective test says:
- It's any dirt or paved road, or railroad, that is in a hex which is adjacent to deep or shallow water (but not a river).
- It's the same regardless of climate: default, winter, or wet.

The things that are waiting to be fixed in Panzerkrieg ought to be fixed but they are minor compared to this. This keeps bothering me because it is basic to the game and, frankly, is not something that I can ultimately fix for my own copy of OOB.

I wish there was some reassurance on this one.
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (154.12 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (99.01 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

As Raine reported in his thread, I was wrong about this distortion not being associated with river hexes. Apparently "road and bridge over river" also qualifies.
Attachments
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

"Not for nothing" as Americans like to say (don't ask me why), but this is why I'm sticking with naval scenarios for now, where land is either remote or "jungle-y" enough (South Pacific) not to show roads near sea hexes.

I'll be removing roads from this map because this reminds me of the plates on the back of a stegosaurus:
Capture569.jpg
Capture569.jpg (248.92 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
stegosaurus plates.jpg
stegosaurus plates.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
If the road segment was one hex shorter, it would remind me of something else but this is a family-oriented forum, yes? :roll:

I understand the fix for this will not be in 5.2.5 but I have confidence that it will be fixed eventually. I cannot believe the developers of this otherwise beautiful game will tolerate this obvious blemish forever.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I knew that 5.2.9 was not going to fix this problem - thanks for the updates, Shards - but this hex outline thing adds to the distortion . . .

Unless . . .

I'm looking at the doubled hex outlines and they seem to be indicating increasing depth? Outlines are only doubled, it seems, from coastal to shallow water and then from shallow water to deep water. Looked at in that manner, maybe these hex outlines are actually useful.
Capture633.jpg
Capture633.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2763 times
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”