War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Post by awesum4 »

Gentlemen,

our forces in Germany have stoutly defended their homeland from a horde of Persian invaders. Their modern equipment of firearms for their foot and composite bows did not save them from stout pikes wielded by stout peasants. They maneuvered speedily to line a stream with their foot flanked by cavalry but our pikes pushed back the cavalry and assaulted the flanks of the foot. Our shooters did marvelous damage firing between gaps in the line and our fleet footed foresters got into their flanks and rear.

We can confidently say that the Moslem invasion of Germany has been delayed by 500 years or more,

McAwsum of Glen Campbell, Laird of the Highlands, Lord of Germany, Cantonmeister of Switzerland, and ruler of parts of the Adriatic so far only numbered.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

...many believe that the döner kebab was actually first created in Berlin by a Turkish guest worker named Kadir Nurman in 1972.
A Brief History Of The Döner Kebab

Probably until 1972 AD by the sound of it!
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

When does Move 3 start ?
Do the challenges that have not been accepted ( O'Dilly ) have to be played out ?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:55 am When does Move 3 start ?
Do the challenges that have not been accepted ( O'Dilly ) have to be played out ?
Players have to the New Year to complete their games Brian...

If not completed by then, claimed neutral territories will return to the pool. The only accepted player challenge results currently outstanding are Ireland (McAwsum and O'Dilly) and Switzerland (McAwsum and William). If these remain unresolved, we'll assess the situation in early January.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

The battle for Switzerland is over.
The initial crunch of the elite Swiss pike was impressive, I was up 32% to 0%. Then the wheels slowly came off; 2 of his routing pike blocks rallied and his gendarmes got into the rear of my pike blocks. He clawed it back to 40% to 40% and we stayed within 5% of each other until the final moves when 2 of his pikes broke again and I won 67% to 57%.
A very enjoyable game. The Swiss are basically invincible if you play large or very large armies, but with medium armies it is much less certain.

My battle for Ireland is ongoing, with me having a advantage after having huge problems against his clouds of light foot javelins.

We are also playing O'Dilly's invasion of Scotland, which he has never posted on here. I am slightly ahead but his cavalry have got into the rear of my musketeers and I'm expecting to lose Scotland.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

awesum4 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:02 am The battle for Switzerland is over...
Thanks for the update Andre, this will tie up the year nicely... has anyone heard from TGM?
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

awesum4 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:02 am The battle for Switzerland is over.
The initial crunch of the elite Swiss pike was impressive, I was up 32% to 0%. Then the wheels slowly came off; 2 of his routing pike blocks rallied and his gendarmes got into the rear of my pike blocks. He clawed it back to 40% to 40% and we stayed within 5% of each other until the final moves when 2 of his pikes broke again and I won 67% to 57%.
A very enjoyable game. The Swiss are basically invincible if you play large or very large armies, but with medium armies it is much less certain.

My battle for Ireland is ongoing, with me having a advantage after having huge problems against his clouds of light foot javelins.

We are also playing O'Dilly's invasion of Scotland, which he has never posted on here. I am slightly ahead but his cavalry have got into the rear of my musketeers and I'm expecting to lose Scotland.
That was a fun game. Rallies were important for both sides. A couple of broken Italian kiels rallied, which save the Italians from a quick defeat, but just as important were the disrupted Swiss kiels who rallied before they could be fragmented with a rear gendarme charge.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Dilly
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Dilly »

Kiwilordski
Sir
I understand you want your homeland back, you have picked your army for 1610 to 1617, there is a Polish army that goes upto 1610, however the only Polish army I am willing to use to fight them is 1618 - 1632 otherwise it is a little one sided with you having muskets and mine arquebuses
your ever rebellious servant
Dilly O'Dilly
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Dilly wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:13 pm Kiwilordski
Sir
I understand you want your homeland back, you have picked your army for 1610 to 1617, there is a Polish army that goes upto 1610, however the only Polish army I am willing to use to fight them is 1618 - 1632 otherwise it is a little one sided with you having muskets and mine arquebuses
your ever rebellious servant
Dilly O'Dilly
Yes Dilly O'Dilly I am using the " O'Dilly Method " of engagement. All fair & legal as per the GD Rules.

Due to the winter weather closing in over Europe we have decided to stay nice & warm at home.
( the move is too far gone to start a new game so I withdraw the Challenge )
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The European, North African and Near Eastern Gazette
December Roundup
All claims for unclaimed territories and homeland challenges that have all been accepted at this office have been resolved except for two games in progress [Ireland and Scotland], two unaccepted [Portugal and 2nd challenge for Austria], one withdrawn [ Poland], and no updates from Lithuania, the Cossack Hetmanate and Finland.
Local landowners throughout Europe, the Near East and Africa were once more justified in their widespread panic. This reporter returned to the village of Je souffle dans votre direction Générale and again asked Alfonso de Alac'a'Name's cousin Agathe Zeublouze what the month had brought. When interviewed she decried the carnage and in desperate grief was quoted as stating, "ils l'ont fait à nouveau tout mon écran solaire reconstitué a été détourné", which roughly translates as "…they did it again all my restocked sunscreen has been misappropriated."
Challenges.jpg
Challenges.jpg (245.83 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Europe Map.jpg
Europe Map.jpg (302.36 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
CALL TO ARMS BRITISH ISLES
This month kicked off with the ongoing tussle for Celtic dominance between McAwsum and O’Dilly. With reciprocal invasions of Ireland and Scotland, Europe continues to wait in awe for the ultimate result.
CALL TO ARMS NEAR EAST
The attempt by the Moroccan Sultan to become the Grand Sultan of the Near East was firmly repulsed at the Ottoman Turkish border by the brilliantly inspired Polish usurper and Moslem convert KiwiLordski. The Mad hatter of Morocco sadly reported that the previous wholesale loss of their extraordinary hats to his failed Persian invasion was a demoralizing blow, even before their force took the field, and combined with the unfortunate delay of our new more streamlined Moroccan fezzes meant a repulse was inevitable.
Buoyed by their success the Ottomans invaded Morocco hoping to add another conquest to their growing empire. Surprised by the tenacity of the defenders and Moroccan soldiers sporting newly acquired Fezzes behind every tree in the unexpected 124 forests within Morocco [maybe should have gone to tripadvisor.co.nz], the Usurper was soundly beaten back to the harsh Turkish climate.
CALL TO ARMS WESTERN EUROPE
While the Grand sultan of Persia marched unopposed into Venice, O’Dilly successfully claimed France due to his frequent skiing holidays at Mont Blanc and other French Alp resorts.
When both KiwLordski and McAwsum cut off a toe on their right foot to rightfully claim Territory 4, a trial by arms ensued in which McAwsum was soundly rebuked.
Undeterred by this strategy, McAwsum successfully occupied the aptly named Territory 3 after revealing the three toes on his left foot as proof of ownership. Much to the disgust of McAwsum, the elders of Territory 5 were similarly convinced when KiwiLordski also tried his luck by revealing his five toes his left foot and further substantiating his claim by showing them five-fingers on each hand.
Meanwhile KiwiLordsk’s invasion force of Turks in a lightning campaign captured Austria by defeating the Imperial Army of Africa lead by the very active Lion Cub of the North who still continues to defend against the increasing demand for salted fish.
Simultaneously, Malbork Moslems not only welcomed their sun-drenched brothers from Morocco with the promise of a base for future appropriation of salted fish but a strangely disturbing alliance with the crusading Teutonic order from the Baltic mists was established…Huh!
Elsewhere, an eye witness, agent for the English King, reported to Ahuyton - The Lord of Every Angle that; “a grete daye for armeys hir in Benedorme on the Espanish coast. Agaynste 100,000 enemye kynghtes and horses our brave men, not more than a thousande in numbir, slewe and foughte with God's will. Our enemyies are gon and we wouldst celebrate by building thee a fyne hostelrie here in sunney Espana.
The Grand Sultan on hearing the news of losing his newly acquired principality loudly exclaimed, سگ خوک انگلیسی احمقانه من در جهت خود را تف which loosely translates as “…silly english pig dogs I spit in your general direction!”
Also, the battle for Switzerland between McAwsum of Glen Campbell [including a myriad of overseas possessions and the lager and bratwurst monopoly in Germany] and Mad King William has resulted in yet more Scottish settlers and mercenaries filling up European tourist destinations. One reporter has observed that once the Hills were alive with the sound of music, now it’s just what appears to be dying cats and screaming banshees. The same reporter noted that during the battle for Switzerland though the initial crunch of Mad King William’s elite Swiss pike was impressive, the wheels slowly came off when the bagpipes started up, probably due to their quick realization that a great distance was required to escape the torture!
Having secured Persia from the mechations of the Mad Hatter, the Grand sultan turned his gaze to Central Europe. While subsequent confused reports streamed in from Germany that large numbers of heavily bandaged soldiers were fleeing south, other observers [possibly Persian propagandists] claimed they are merely the turbans of the valiant Moslem invaders heading home for the winter.
CALL TO ARMS EASTERN EUROPE
Although the Grand sultan marched unopposed into Finland, to date there is no news from the Lion Cub of the North and his subsequent challenge for Finland. We assume the wholesale collection of salted fish has not only distracted both the Swedish and Spanish from their task but also delayed the claims for Lithuania and the Cossack Hetmanate.
At the same time, due to the winter weather closing in over Europe, KiwiLordski decided to stay nice & warm at home rather than attempt to regain his homeland to save his former subjects from the ever-increasing dissemination of Guinness and Irish Craic throughout the Polish/Irish Kingdom.

Lastly, though the on-again off-again Turkish invasion of Russia extended well into this season, KiwiLordski has finally added Mouse-E-Tungovich’s homeland to his ever increasing migratory conquests. Europe trembles...
Last edited by GDod on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

All claims for unclaimed territories and homeland challenges are now being accepted at this office. Please note two games in progress [Ireland and Scotland] are still in progress so if you have designs on these territories it may be best to wait until these are resolved.

Local landowners throughout Europe, the Near East and Africa are yet again in widespread panic. This reporter again returned to the village of Je souffle dans votre direction Générale and again asked Alfonso de Alac'a'Name's cousin Agathe Zeublouze to ask what was their biggest fear for the month. When interviewed she again deferred to her lack of sunscreen rather than just the anticipated ongoing carnage, and in her anxiety was quoted as saying," si ces britanniques pâteux continuent à me voler de la crème solaire, je mettrai leur cornemuse dans un endroit où le soleil ne brille pas!"
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

The forces of colonial imperialism which have held Ireland in thrall for too long have been defeated. The shackles were broken by the collectivized peasantry of the Scottish lowlands using traditional spears, in association with the free rangers of the Scottish highlands under their locally elected leaders.
The Anglo oppressors tried to use the downtrodden natives as a screen to harass our forces but they quickly ran off into the woods and swamps. The mercenary Galloglaich stood gallantly for a while but were outnumbered and charged in the flank by troops who had passed through gaps in their line.

Long live the revolution.

McAwsum,

Steward of Glen Campbell
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Congratulations McAwsum and your proliferation of Scottish cuisine, and commiserations to O'Dilly in his valiant defense of the great Irish breakfast.
Scottish nobles at the celebrations
Party time.gif
Party time.gif (212.83 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
However, there is no time to be Dilly Dallying [pardon the pun]. Be warned, sooner or later the great migrator will arrive on both your shores to claim the title...
P.S The Grand Sultan and McAwsum of Glen Campbell also have cause to celebrate their award of an honour point for accepting more than one challenge in December [ to be updated with next map]...congrats!
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

In the spirit of true Gaelic brotherhood, we have deigned to allow Dilly O'Dilly formerly King of Ireland to possess Scotland as a sub-kingdom of our benevolent rule. The tithe to be paid for this is one haggis to be delivered in the depth of winter, and the red-haired virgin maid who will deliver it.

His cavalry did for me with treacherous charges into our exposed rears.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

An old Gaelic saying reminds us that one must "garda do chúl nó tá tú líonta"

An-mhaith O'Dilly, Long may your Gaelic brotherhood last... :D
Final Map and challenges update for December amended for Finland as per advice and the Gaelic isles.
Europe Map.jpg
Europe Map.jpg (299.93 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Challenges.jpg
Challenges.jpg (247.23 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Madder hatter of Morocco has ceded to the pleas of the Malbork Moslems, who recently welcomed their sun-drenched brothers from Morocco and are desperate for more salted fish. They suggest sending the Crusading Teutonic order from the Baltic mists to appropriate not only salted fish stocks but salt-cured roe of the Acipenseridae family for the now delicious staple Malbork dish of Caviar and smoked sturgeon Kebabs with Couscous
Hence, the Sultanate kicks off the new year with a challenge to the KiwiLordski, the Great Migrator, former Polish overlord, Usurper of the Ottomans and current Czar of the Russ for the territory of Russia using

G bin Dodaziz's Teutonic Knights 1494-1542 against KiwLordski's Russian's 1494-1549 pw=rushin medium size, pot luck terrain

[signed] Osama bin Liner: The Mad Hatter's Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Teutonic Legion, loyal servant to the true sultan, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this territory or the next! Note to self: We'll have to review our staff policies at the palace to avoid employing over-dramatic Romans in the future!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I challenge Austria (KiwiWarlord) with Italian 1494 - 1530 in Round 3.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

I hereby challenge Greetings44 for the country of Persia, I will be using Prussian 1649-1674. I would have preferred 30 years war imperialist but for some reason my V3 has disappeared from my computer and V2 doesn't have them listed.

I also challenge the Great Dods for Malbrok using German Peasants 1524 to 1526.

Has anyone else had V3 disapear? I can't find it to download again, presumably because I've already downloaded it in the past.

Andre
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

With regret, we hear of the seizure of our most Gracious Majesty's holyday villa on the Algarve by banditos representing the Portuguese usurper.

Let it be heard that my Majestic King is very very cross about this and he is sending all his knightes and all his gunnes and all his shippes to reclaim this charming little countrye.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

awesum4 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 am I also challenge the Great Dods for Malbrok using German Peasants 1524 to 1526.
Has anyone else had V3 disappear? I can't find it to download again, presumably because I've already downloaded it in the past.
Andre
I've never been able to access V3 when setting up game for myself, only V2 seems to be available. However, in multiplayer...no, I've never had it disappear.

The sultan is only too pleased to defend Malbrok from your wanton peasant horde even though the Grand Master of the Teutonic order has informed me it's beneath his dignity. Hence, I'll have to lead the order myself as soon as I've heard from that incessant migrating ex-Pole
Challenges.jpg
Challenges.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Last edited by GDod on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”