Italian Wars Campaign Gameplay

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Italian Wars Campaign Gameplay

Post by w_michael »

This campaign has a fair amount of (bad) luck, and your armies may be destroyed by plague, famine or lack of money. You will just have to cope as they can be rebuilt in the next Spring turn. Expenditures will allow you or your enemy to subvert an army or fleet, so you will have to learn to cope (or take advantage of) those turn of events as well. Diplomacy is extremely important. If you are isolated, you are dead. Anyway, here are the campaign rules. I will update the document here if there are any changes or clarifications that need to be made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cusMZi ... sp=sharing Version: 15 Mar 2018, Clarified that control is determined at the end of a turn.

By the way, everyone is always at war with everyone else. If you order an army to advance into an ally's province you will attack any armies there, or those moving into the province, and may capture it. You can prevent this by revealing your orders to allies, and supporting an ally's advance into a province rather than advancing their with your own army. Cooperation prevents unwanted conflict.
Last edited by w_michael on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 am, edited 17 times in total.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
w_michael

Re: Italian Wars Campaign Gameplay

Post by w_michael »

Here is the campaign map at the start of the campaign, Spring 1499. If you find the image shown here to be too small then you can right-click on it and use "Open image in new tab" to see the full sized image.
Campaign Map, Spring 1499
Campaign Map, Spring 1499
P&S_Machiavelli_1499_Start.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 6340 times
Last edited by w_michael on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

From the rules, here is the sequence of play for each game turn. We are starting on the Spring 1499 turn. To win the game you must control at least fifteen cities at the end of a turn, and must have control of at least one other player’s home country. Alternately, the majority of players may agree to end the game at the end of a turn, with the player controlling the most cities declared the winner. This can be a long campaign, so I added the second condition to allow the resolution of the campaign before the full conditions are met.
Sequence of Play
Sequence of Play
SequenceOfPlay.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
Last edited by w_michael on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Spring 1499 - Famine Determination Phase
Year Type roll: 6 + 4 = 10. Bad Year (rows & columns)
Famine row roll: 2 + 4 = 6. Marseille, Ragusa, Vicenza, Carinthia, Bergamo, Pistolia, Spoleto, Piancenza, Hungary.
Famine column roll: 3 + 2 = 5. Patrimony, Padua, Salerno, Carinthia, Montferrat, Pavia, Pisa.

Just a reminder from the rules:
During the Famine Resolution Phase (the last phase of each Spring turn), all military units in a province with a Famine symbol are automatically eliminated and removed from the map, along with the Famine symbol itself. This includes Garrison units in the province, both autonomous and belonging to players. A military unit in a famine-struck province can carry out orders normally. New military units may not be placed in provinces or in fortified cities in provinces that contain a Famine symbol. Famine has no effect on who controls a province. A province and ungarrisoned city containing a Famine symbol does not produce any income. A fortified city with a Garrison unit will still produce income for the controlling player, although the province itself will produce no income.
Famine!
Famine!
P&S_Machiavelli_Spring1499.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 6289 times
If you have an army or fleet in a province with famine, don't panic. Just give the unit movement orders to advance to another province or sea.
Last edited by w_michael on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Spring 1499 - Income, Supply & Build Phase
Variable Income rolls:
France: 1 & 4 = 5d
Genoa: 4 = 3d
Milan: 5 = 4d
Austria: 4 = 3d
Papacy: 3 = 3d
Florence: 2 & 6 = 7d
Sienna: 1 = 1d
Venice: 1 & 4 = 6d
Turks: 3 = 3d
Naples: 3 = 2d
Spring 1499 Records
Spring 1499 Records
1499SpringRecords.jpg (261.11 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

From the rules:
Players must pay 3 ducats to supply each of their military units if possible. If there are not enough ducats available to pay for all military units, a player must remove any excess units that cannot be paid for.
Austria and Sienna do not have enough ducats to supply their units. Both must immediately disband one army or fleet before the next phase can proceed. Please announce your decision on this thread or PM me and I will update the campaign map prior to the Negotiation Phase.
Last edited by w_michael on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

How many units allowed per area

Post by lascar »

My understanding is that only one army unit is allowed per area, if it is a coastal area
there can be one army and one fleet unit. Is a garrison allowed in addition to an army in an area?
For example: can Venice have one army, one fleet and one garrison at the same time.

Thanks.
w_michael

Re: How many units allowed per area

Post by w_michael »

lascar wrote:My understanding is that only one army unit is allowed per area, if it is a coastal area
there can be one army and one fleet unit. Is a garrison allowed in addition to an army in an area?
For example: can Venice have one army, one fleet and one garrison at the same time.

Thanks.
A coastal province may only contain one fleet or one army. Think of fleets as also having an intrinsic land component for the purposes of occupying and defending a coastal province. Fortified cities may also contain a garrison. A coastal province containing a fortified city may contain a fleet or an army in the province and a garrison in the fortified city. Venice is an exception.

Special Map Features from the rules:
4. Venice: Although small, the Lagoon surrounding Venice is treated like an ordinary sea space. Only one unit may be in Venice at a time. Thus, if there is a garrison there, there cannot also be a fleet or army and vice versa. Because of this, it is impossible to besiege a garrison in Venice.
Last edited by w_michael on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lascar

Numbers in cities

Post by lascar »

Some cities contain a number for example Venice 3 and Rome 2 what do these numbers signify?
Thanks.
w_michael

Re: Numbers in cities

Post by w_michael »

lascar wrote:Some cities contain a number for example Venice 3 and Rome 2 what do these numbers signify?
Thanks.
Every controlled city generates 1d of income every Spring, whether it is a fortified or not (square or circle icon). Cites with a number generate that income instead of 1d. Venice generates 3d, for example.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg
His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 6323 times
Subject: Italian Wars Campaign Gameplay
w_michael wrote:Spring 1499 - Income & Supply Phase

Austria and Sienna do not have enough ducats to supply their units. Both must immediately disband one army or fleet before the next phase can proceed. Please announce your decision on this thread or PM me and I will update the campaign map prior to the Negotiation Phase.
His Imperial Majesty is forced to consider and confirm the dissolution of the army in Hungry due to famine as this is the most ironic choice
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Map & Records updated. Waiting for Sienna.
Chromey
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Chromey »

HI Doge of Sienna here. I am new to the campaign so I must ask before I can decide what unit I have to disband.. Do the black squared fortified cities already contain a city garrison or do I have to put an army square into it to have it defended? Also what are the traingles on the map representing. The FAQ says they are garrisons but they are seperate garrisons and if so are they auto manned or just empty forts?
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Chromey wrote:HI Doge of Sienna here. I am new to the campaign so I must ask before I can decide what unit I have to disband.. Do the black squared fortified cities already contain a city garrison or do I have to put an army square into it to have it defended? Also what are the traingles on the map representing. The FAQ says they are garrisons but they are seperate garrisons and if so are they auto manned or just empty forts?
Black, square cities are fortified, but do not have a garrison unless there is a triangle beside it. The triangle represents the garrison. If you advance into an province with no army, garrison or fleet then you immediately control both the province and city. If there is a garrison in the fortified city then the enemy unit will have to besiege the city and win it before control is granted.
Chromey

Post by Chromey »

OK thank you for that. I choose to dismiss my humble navy. Sienna is a small peaceful province and we will not harm any of our neighboring paisanos unless they show us harm first. Fish for all!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

The map and record sheet have been updated. No one has a negative treasury.

Spring 1499 - Negotiation Phase
Since this is the first turn, let's take until end end of Friday for diplomacy and negotiations. Talk to all of the other players. Seek defence or non-aggression pacts. Commit to aggressive alliances. Exchange assassins from each other's court. Delineate your sphere of influence. If someone reveals their goals, be sure to share them with others. Promise the moon. This is a game of treachery and intrigue.

From the rules:
During this phase the players may negotiate with each other. Negotiations can include the formation of long-term pacts or alliances, the plotting of joint actions, and/or the exchange of any type of information. Negotiations may be carried out publicly or privately. The object of negotiations is to influence other players to cooperate in some ways in various manoeuvres. What players will agree to, or demand in return for cooperation is entirely up to the players involved. No agreements made in negotiations are binding, even if written and signed in blood. A player must simply be trusted to honour any agreements that are made.
“Never attempt to win by force what can be won by deception.”
― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 6292 times
Chromey wrote:OK thank you for that. I choose to dismiss my humble navy. Sienna is a small peaceful province and we will not harm any of our neighboring paisanos unless they show us harm first. Fish for all!
Hey, we're forming an inland navy on Lake Achen so we are more than happy to take the ships off your hands.

Ah-oh, I feel a verse coming on...
In the key of G "Where did that navy go?"/minor

Ooooooh Sienna built a grandee nay-vee
to sail upon the sea soooo wa-vee
but alas and alac
no-one knew how to tac
......c'est la vie :D

P.S...We're a bit Hungry here in Austria...anyone want to come to dinner? [bring a plate]
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

My Dear Emperor Maximilian I (GDod) I never thought you'd go for a inland navy. Perhaps, the great inventor Leonardo would fashion you with plans for some of his land ships if he wasn't so busy building fancies for the Sforzas (TheGrayMouser) and designing naval defenses for the Venetians (lascar).

- Piero Soderini
Gonfaloniere of Florence
Image Image
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
Di Vinci, Hah!, the man is a diabolical heretical devil. As Emperor [and lover of fine ballads] from 1517 I have hereby proclaimed the first ever gun control laws banning the wheellock throughout the entire Holy Roman Empire, and I expect that all the Italian states should follow suit by 1520 [or 1530 thereabouts!]
Di Vinci should be brought before the Pope to answer for his wizardry and devil machinations!

Now be off with you and let me contemplate my Relation aller Fürnemmen und gedenckwürdigen Historien
[world's first newpaper] I hear Johann Carolus, my German publisher will be delivering it in 100 years or so :lol:
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Heresy Removed

Post by awesum4 »

The Grand Inquisitor of the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily Don Quemar del Todo el Mundo today declared the Kingdom totally free of Heresy, Apostasy and the raising of Diabolical Chickens.

King Andrea Doria thanked Don Quemar for the great efforts he and his crew had made is stamping out impure and improper thought through out the tranquil lands of Naples and Sicily. Don Quemar has offered his services to Pope Alexander of the Papal States at a very reasonable price, with a policy of "Non Quema..non Pago". (No burnings, no payment).

In the small town of Crispano, north of Napoli, Pietro the Chicken Man complained bitterly that while he supported the work of the Inquisition in principal he found it hard to accept that his entire flock had been the spawns of Satan and needed to be burnt at the stake. "Okay that bloody big red and black cockerel may have been one, but the hens were gentle, harmless creatures" was Pietro's comment shortly before he was called in to discus his complaints with the local "Office of the Auto de Fe"
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I've been asked to clarify the naval transport rules. Here is what the rules say:
This order may only be given to a Fleet unit, and tells it to transport an Army unit through the sea or coastal province it occupies. A Fleet may only transport an Army unit and only one per turn. A transporting Fleet remains in place and may take no other action. The transported Army must end in a land province. A transported Army may use any number of Fleet units for transport in one turn. An Army unit may be transported through any number of contiguous sea or coastal province in a single turn if each contains a transporting Fleet unit. A transported Army unit may only be given orders to advance to its destination land province. A Fleet unit may only transport an Army unit into a province into which the Fleet unit could legally advance.
A fleet can transport even if it is in a coastal province, but it may only transport the army if the army is adjacent to the area with the fleet and ends movement in an area adjacent to the fleet (or the final transporting fleet if there are more than one). That means that fleets at sea are in a better location to move armies to more provinces, but a fleet on the coast could let an army leapfrog them to an adjacent province, or to another transporting fleet in an adjacent sea.

For example, a fleet in the Upper Adriatic could transport an army in Romagna to any coastal province adjacent to the Upper Adriatic. A fleet in the coastal province of Romagna could transport an army in Bologna to Ancona or vice versa (even if there is an enemy fleet in the Upper Adriatic). A fleet in the coastal province of Ancona, and a fleet in the Lower Adriatic could both be used to transport an army in Romagna to any coastal province adjacent to the Lower Adriatic.

To better visualize it, think of the army moving to the area where the fleet is, and then from there to either another fleet or an another coastal province destination. Ports are not necessary for transport orders.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”