Challenge up for LDFLM
password: Turin
medium armies, open battle, pot luck terrain
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Italian Wars Campaign Gameplay

Post by lascar »

w_michael wrote:I've been think about Fleet combat and the best that you can do is to make the enemy Fleet retreat. It is only destroyed in the unlikely event that there is no legal area to retreat to. The combat is resolved by both players rolling a die, with the higher score winning. You add +1 to your score for every Fleet in your Force that you outnumber the Fleets in the enemy Force.

There won't be any Battles of Lepanto under that scheme so I thought of a way to add a chance of a decisive victory. The die roll works just as before, but if the winner scores twice as much as the loser then the Fleet of the loser is destroyed instead of retreating. Supporting units are not destroyed. For example a 4 to 3 is a retreat, but 4 to 2 removes the Fleet instead.

What do you think?
I think that sounds like a good idea, more realistic. Perhaps nuance it a bit: 3 times the loser's fleet would be destroyed; 2 times would severely damage the loser's fleet and the fleet would have to spend a campaign season in a port for repairs and less than 2 times the fleet would retreat as normal, ready for action the next campaign turn. I think there should be higher a loss ratio to actually destroy a fleet.

What do you think?
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

I support what Lascar is saying mostly. I would prefer something less dramatic than 2 to 1 for total destruction. Your fleet destroyed on 3 to 1 would be ok.

As fleets can be disbanded and rebuilt every spring, being unable to move other than to a friendly port in the following season on a 2 to 1 would be fair. So they can stay where they retreated to.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

William,

sorry your maths is slightly wrong with regards to rates of usury. Milan borrowed 5 Ducats for 1 year, interest at 20% is 1 so he has to repay 6 next summer not 7.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

awesum4 wrote:William,

sorry your maths is slightly wrong with regards to rates of usury. Milan borrowed 5 Ducats for 1 year, interest at 20% is 1 so he has to repay 6 next summer not 7.
No, I think that it is OK. I am showing the cash inflow (loan) of 5d. When the money is paid back I will show the cash outflow of 6d (5d x 1.2). I assume that you are talking about the spreadsheet.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

awesum4 wrote:I support what Lascar is saying mostly. I would prefer something less dramatic than 2 to 1 for total destruction. Your fleet destroyed on 3 to 1 would be ok.

As fleets can be disbanded and rebuilt every spring, being unable to move other than to a friendly port in the following season on a 2 to 1 would be fair. So they can stay where they retreated to.
If a Force of 2 Fleets rolls a 1 (score 2 = 1 + 1), a Force of 1 Fleet would have to roll a 6 for a decisive victory at 3:1, or a 4,5,6 at 2:1.

Using the 3:1 ratio for a 2 to 1 engagement, there is only a 1 in 36 chance of the smaller fleet rolling a decisive victory, and no chance at all in a 3 to 1 engagement. That seems too difficult to achieve and hardly worth bothering with.

Using the 2:1 ratio for a 2 to 1 engagement, there is a 4 in 36 chance of the smaller fleet rolling a decisive victory, and a 1 in 36 no chance in a 3 to 1 engagement. Those odds seem more "realistic" to me.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

William,

as the only real European naval power I will accept the 2;1 ratio willingly. If I get 2 fleets to 1 he will kill me 1/9 but I will kill him 1/3....I'll take those odds every time.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

I crunched the numbers for a 2:1 and 3:1 elimination threshold and here are the odds (assuming I have it right):
Fleet Combat Odds
Fleet Combat Odds
FleetOdds.jpg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Now that I see the overview, I am persuaded that 3:1 would be better.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg
His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
William, can we use any list as you have noted, or do we have to wait 44 years [for example] to use the late Spanish Imperialist list...in which case it is very unlikely to ever have the choice!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

GDod wrote:
His Imperial Majesty and Bard.jpg
William, can we use any list as you have noted, or do we have to wait 44 years [for example] to use the late Spanish Imperialist list...in which case it is very unlikely to ever have the choice!
Choose the list appropriate for the campaign year.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Perhaps we can do something similar to the suggested Fleet combat change (die roll battle result) with Pike & Shot Campaigns battles where a 3 to 1 victory in Combat Losses percentages eliminates the losing army? For example 40% to 15% would result in a retreat, but 40% to 13% would result in elimination. It would be nice if gamed battles were more than just win/lose. What do you think?
lascar

Post by lascar »

w_michael wrote:Perhaps we can do something similar to the suggested Fleet combat change with Pike & Shot Campaigns battles where a 3 to 1 victory in Combat Losses percentages eliminates the losing army? For example 40% to 15% would result in a retreat, but 40% to 13% would result in elimination. It would be nice if gamed battles were more than just win/lose. What do you think?
I think anything that adds more nuance to the battles would be a good idea and would give a more "realistic" feel to the outcome. No need to keep to a simple binary win/lose (the entire army) result. What the actual numbers should be are up for discussion, but the basic idea is sound.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

I have a feeling that with famine, plague, bribery, being besieged, owing money to the mafia, being forced into situations where you can't retreat, for most of us the problem is getting and keeping armies going, rather than there being so many armies around that we need to find ways to eliminate more of them. Lets try playing a year or two with the current rules.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

Thanks for the first round. So that I am not late again, hopefully, what is the deadline for the next set of orders? Maybe you posted it already and I missed it, sorry if that is so.

Alan
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

awesum4 wrote:I have a feeling that with famine, plague, bribery, being besieged, owing money to the mafia, being forced into situations where you can't retreat, for most of us the problem is getting and keeping armies going, rather than there being so many armies around that we need to find ways to eliminate more of them. Lets try playing a year or two with the current rules.
I think that is a good suggestion. It may turn out in practice that building in the possibility of elimination is not required.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

ahuyton wrote:Thanks for the first round. So that I am not late again, hopefully, what is the deadline for the next set of orders? Maybe you posted it already and I missed it, sorry if that is so.

Alan
There is one battle to be resolved, and they have until Feb. 6th to do so. I will then close of this turn, and upload the start of Summer 1499 campaign map. Feel free to conduct diplomacy while we are waiting.
lascar

Post by lascar »

w_michael wrote:
awesum4 wrote:I have a feeling that with famine, plague, bribery, being besieged, owing money to the mafia, being forced into situations where you can't retreat, for most of us the problem is getting and keeping armies going, rather than there being so many armies around that we need to find ways to eliminate more of them. Lets try playing a year or two with the current rules.
I think that is a good suggestion. It may turn out in practice that building in the possibility of elimination is not required.
Does this apply to fleets too or only the armies?
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

lascar wrote:
w_michael wrote:
Does this apply to fleets too or only the armies?
I think both for now. I've proposed two methods to introduce a chance that a given battle can be decisive with the elimination of one of the two units, so we have that in our back pocket if we find units are just being pushed around and rarely lost.
Chromey
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Chromey »

so.. who won the first battle of the campaign?
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Chromey wrote:so.. who won the first battle of the campaign?
We will all know when they post the results. It is still being played.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”