Italian Wars Campaign Signup

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Italian Wars Campaign Signup

Post by w_michael »

LFDLM wrote:I'm OK to take France. I hope to find time to play and to understand the rules... I was very bad at the ECW campaign :D
I will be running the campaign and not playing a nation, so feel free to PM me any rules questions.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LFDLM »

w_michael wrote:
LFDLM wrote:I'm OK to take France. I hope to find time to play and to understand the rules... I was very bad at the ECW campaign :D
I will be running the campaign and not playing a nation, so feel free to PM me any rules questions.
Thx !
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

awesum4 wrote:Mascara, new units, can be built in the spring campaign move as long as you have 3d available. The garrison will die if Venice is hit by plague in the summer.
I haven't played the board game but it seems famine and plague can change things quite dramatically. There is more luck than in the ECW campaign but having good alliances and winning battles is the key to success.
Note that the two natural disaster tables use 2D6. Poor Tunis, at the intersection of 7 & 7 is the most plague ridden province. Likewise, Fornova will probably have the most famines.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The_Bard.jpg
The_Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Most years are good [25 combinations from 36] so row or column only, since row only is on a die roll 7, rows should appear more than columns. Hence, row 7 provinces are more likely to appear:-

[Famine] Bari (Na), Slavonia (N,likely Austria), Montferrat (N likely Genoa or Milan), Urbino (R), Fornova (M), Como (M), Trent (N, likely M, Fr)
[Plague] Palermo (Na), Genoa (G), Albania (T), Pisa (Fl), Tunis (T), Avignon (Fr), Milan (M) ,and Sardinia (Na)

According to this theory, adverse probabilities are more likely to occur in the following countries
Milan - 3 provinces, possibly +2 [more likely to be famine and they can pick up other famine prone provinces]
Naples - 3 provinces [more likely to be plague]
Turks - 2 provinces [more likely to be plague]
Genoa - 1 province, possibly +1 [more likely to be plague unless they pick up the famine prone province]
France - 1 province, possibly +1 [more likely to be plague unless they pick up the famine prone province]
Rome - 1 province [more likely to be plague prone]
Florence - possibly 1 [more likely to be plague prone]
Austria - possibly 1 [more likely to be famine prone]

Note the absence of Venice and Sienna. These findings could be taken into consideration when determining famine relief packages and negotiating for control of plague and famine prone provinces with other nations.

Produced by A. Struddel: Chief Harvest Dancer and Surgeon General; The old Austrian Statistics, Logistics and Plague Prevention Bureau in the Former Austrian Centre for Economics [ASLAP in the FACE]

Omissions and Exceptions Accepted
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Let's wait one more day for players to take Genoa or Sienna, then we can start with or without them.
Chromey
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Chromey »

Ill take Sienna but I have no idea how these campaigns are run.
mcwar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by mcwar »

Genova for me, thanks...
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The_Bard.jpg
The_Bard.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Chromey wrote:Ill take Sienna but I have no idea how these campaigns are run.
I will be honoured to be your mentor... and point your forces in the right direction :twisted: Honestly, it's very easy... the rules look more daunting than they really are! I gather we're good to go William!
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Yes, it does look like we are all set. I'll create a new topic for game play, which we will use to run the campaign.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 65&t=81735

The rules, campaign map, bookkeeping sheet, and public dialogue will be written there. Most of you have never played the game before (not surprisingly), so I will be your guide step by step.
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

How long are we planning for the negotiation and movement orders phases. Just curious?
Image Image
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Pixel wrote:How long are we planning for the negotiation and movement orders phases. Just curious?
i was thinking that the first negotiation phase should be longer, as you will likely be contacting everyone. How does 3 days sound?
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

That sounds reasonable (3 days from the start of the negotiation phase). Just to clarify, potential diplomatic overtures can only be made/considered in the negotiation phase, right? Or once things get rolling will discussions be ongoing throughout each campaign season.

Is it possible to negotiate military access through a province without initiating a battle or causing the province to change hands? My understanding from skimming the rules is that not more then one army can occupy a province.

I assume this means that one can not move through a province without taking control of it even if only temporarily.
Image Image
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Pixel wrote:That sounds reasonable.

Is it possible to negotiate military access through a province without initiating a battle of causing the province to change hands? My understanding from skimming the rules is that not more then one army can occupy a province.

I assume this means that one can not move through a province without taking control of it even if only temporarily.
Only one army or fleet may occupy a province, so there is no pass through ability. You can advance from a province while an ally advances into that province, but the ally will gain control. The ally could use naval movement (possibly with the assistance of your fleets) to "jump over" a province. With enough well positioned fleets for transport an army could advance from Avignon to Durazzo in one turn.
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Understood. I just realized that you actually clarified this in the gameplay thread.
By the way, everyone is always at war with everyone else. If you order an army to advance into an ally's province you will attack any armies there, or those moving into the province, and may capture it.
Image Image
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Pixel wrote:Understood. I just realized that you actually clarified this in the gameplay thread.
By the way, everyone is always at war with everyone else. If you order an army to advance into an ally's province you will attack any armies there, or those moving into the province, and may capture it.
You take things for granted when you have played the system before, assuming everyone else has the same understanding. I realized that the above was not obvious from the rules. I'll add it to the next version.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”