ECW Campaign 2017 Common Thread

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: ECW Campaign 2017 Common Thread

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Kelen2 wrote:. I must say that I was alarmed at how easily the Cavaliers broke and applaud Warlord on using his lights, the cover and his foot to great effect to break up their formation and seriously impede their ability to react.
alas Kleen, twas not I....I am busy doing battle with D50 to the north of you.
Kelen2
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Kelen2 »

Oops, sincere apologies to Snugglebunnies! :oops:
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

No worries. Well done on my left flank!
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Global Announcement.jpg
Global Announcement.jpg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Turn2withmoves.jpg
Turn2withmoves.jpg (238.7 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Orders now being taken, Turn 3 (Deadline 26/6/17)

County Count so far .....Royalists 27, Parliamentarian 18, 4 unclaimed (To win a faction needs 2/3rds (33 counties)
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Gentlemen, and Rebels,

it is my sad task to admit that the first battle for the southwest has been a defeat for the Gallant Cornish Loyalists;

In an attempt to outflank that arch rebel (and my beloved friend) Lord Kerry of Hampshire I instructed my men to lighten their equipment and to leave all trollops and mistresses behind, along with barrels of porter, fine plate and serving wenches. These things were hard for my men to abandon but their resolve was great as we marched rapidly into Wiltshire from Somerset intended to swing right into Dorset putting us behind the Rebel army. Great was our consternation when we realized the Rebels had lost their way and blundered into Wiltshire bringing their russet-coated cavalry, their boring preachers and their sour looking wives with them.

We were vastly outnumbered 11,459 to 7,968 (by count of the scribes) but our morale was superior and our dashing locks longer and prettier so we entered with great spirit. We have 12 units of bold cavaliers to their 7 average cavalry, 2 dragoons the same as theirs, 4 musketeers to their 2, but only 8 pike and shot to their 17. As our solid foot had only 50% musket they had almost double our number of shooters (a cowardly way to fight a battle). Apart from the dragoons our entire force as above average, theirs was boringly average apart from 2 superior pike and 3 raw pike who had been reluctantly pressed into service.

The battle being fought in the pleasant open countryside of southern England we knew we would face a wall of lead during our approach and resolved to advance rapidly massed on the right with half our cavaliers riding to the left to draw as much their army as possible away from our attack before turning and galloping to join the rest of our force. The enemy advanced slowly with half their foot moving to engage our left wing decoy. Our gallant foot advanced and engaged the rest of his force as our cavaliers moved out on our right and then charged home. We had 2 pike and 2 musketeers destroyed by fire before we even contacted such was the hail of lead that faced us.
Our decoy cavaliers turn and raced to join our foot as a bitter struggle ensued. Our greater spirit was balanced by their units having suffered few casualties in the advance. Several units on both side broke and many were disrupted or fragged. Then our cavaliers broke a rebel cavalry unit and pursued into the flank of their foot and a chain reaction ensued. Our arriving cavaliers charged in as well although 2 our them had been broken by musketry before they arrived.

After the smoke cleared we held the area of conflict and were ahead by 50% to 49%. But he had 10 unscathed pike and shot and a couple of cavalry who had loitered in the rear whereas all our units were battered and bruised, and volleys of musketry soon scattered the remnants of those units who were in range. Final score 66% to 52%

We have withdrawn to Somerset to rebuild our forces, and to enjoy the comfort of our trollops, wives and barrels of porter prior to continuing our struggle against the boring puritan array.

Andre Devereaux,
Duke of Cornwall and Devon and Somerset
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Global Announcement.jpg
Global Announcement.jpg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
UPDATE 21/6/17
Turn2withmoves.jpg
Turn2withmoves.jpg (239.58 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Orders now being taken, Turn 3 (Deadline 26/6/17)

County Count so far .....Royalists 27, Parliamentarian 19, 3 unclaimed (To win a faction needs 2/3rds (33 counties)
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Parliament + Scots Flying Column drives the Royalists from Westmoreland
VICTORY for Parliament in Westmoreland. (41)
Warlord 15% v Doley50 47%
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

[
The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
Final Update Turn 2 22/06/17
Turn2final.jpg
Turn2final.jpg (238.09 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
Winter 1643; Events affecting Turn 3 The Parliamentary party showed so united a front that even Pym's death, on 8 December 1643, hardly affected its resolution to continue the struggle. The troops from Ireland proved to be untrustworthy after all. Those serving on both sides were "mutinous and shrewdly infected with the rebellious humour of England". Similarly a small band of Londoners surprised and routed a Royalist detachment from Buckinghamshire at Alton on 13 December 1643, half the prisoners took the Covenant.
READ CAREFULLY
Winter Woes; Only royalist may use flying columns this month and only if using the Royalist Raiders army list. Any Parliamentarian army bordering London County at the start of this move has a 50% chance of not moving due to commanders attendance at Pym's funeral. Any army who engages another within Ireland whether Royalist or Parliamentarian must have the maximum possible raw troops (representing unreliable Irish conscripts)
Last edited by GDod on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

CAMPAIGN HISTORY at a Glance
Start History.jpg
Start History.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Turn1 Moves History.jpg
Turn1 Moves History.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Turn2 Moves History.jpg
Turn2 Moves History.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
Turn 1 Summer 1643
Duke of Cornwall, spokesman for his Illustrious Highness Charles Stuart, King of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and other places decrees clemency if rebels reaffirm allegiance to the King
London has declared for Parliament]and for the Earl of Essex
The London trained bands called up due[/i] to the alarming advance of Royalists on London.
The Three Counties of Scotland declares for the Seaport the Earl of Ayreshire
The signing of the covenant by the Earl of Ayreshire
The Safety Committee is now hereby constituted as the Committee of Both Kingdoms.

BATTLE OF WARWICK Royalist Victory by Lord Quiggly of Shropshire over Danny Duke of Warwick
West midlands has declared for Royalists and Lord Quiggly
Lord Quiggly, received the titles of Duke of Warwick, Lord High Steward of the West Midlands
Danny former Duke of Warwick universally known as Danny the Disgraced
The Twin counties of loyalist Ireland declares for the Earl of Ulster, Lord Lieutenant and Chief Secretary of Ireland
North Western counties declares for the Duke of Lancaster of the Duchy and County Palatine of Lancaster
The arrival of the Prince on his way north.
The Earl of Essex extends his hand of friendship to the former Danny Duke of Warwick and bequeathed him the chattels and lands of the County and District of London.
Danny the Disgraced given the title of Danny the Disgraced Protector and Lord lievetenaut of London
The guilds, townspeople and apprentices have welcome Danny the Disgraced as rightful lord and their representative at parlement and on the Committee of Both Kingdoms.
The Grumpy Doge is appointed Commander of the London Trained Bands by fair and just election
North midlands declares for the Younger Duke of Rutland
BATTLE OF EAST RIDING YORKSHIRE Parliamentarian Victory by Snugglebunny of Hull against the Royalist Lord Kelen, "The Sheriff" Duke of Nottinghamshire
Snugglebunny of Hull made Lord Lieutenant of Hull and the East Riding by Committee of Both Kingdoms

Turn 2 - Autumn 1643
Autumn rains in Northern Wales abated to allow troops to finally able to ford the flooded rivers. Duke of Ormonde wins a indecisive victory at New Ross before returning to Dublin. The Irish confederation signs a truce with the Royalists
James Graham, 1st Marquis of Montrose said to be causing trouble in the highlands some say he will declare for the King within a year. King Charles appointed William Laud as Archbishop of Canterbury. Laud is known to have Catholic leanings. The Earl of Stamford ejected from Devon and Cornwall ending the need for a local truce. Some say all of Devon and Cornwall will be Royalist very soon.

A major battle in Wiltshire this month as Parlement tries to regain lost ground in the Southwest
King Charles was crowned King of Scotland this month at Holyrood Abbey, Edinburgh.
Licensing Order of 1643 passed by Parliament to censor newspapers.
Further gains in the eastern association. Cromwell seen heading towards Cambridge with a large force to censor and arrest the deans of the Cambridge colleges rumored to have royalist sympathies
Parliament passes "An Ordinance for Explanation of a former Ordinance for Sequestration of Delinquents Estates with some Enlargements", including an "Oath of Abjuration" of the Pope.
The Westminster Assembly of theologians ("divines") and parliamentarians is convened at Westminster Abbey with the aim of restructuring the Church of England.
Oxford declares for the King on the advice of the College Deans amidst an aggressive Royalist drive on surrounding London counties
A major battle on the border of North and East Yorkshire, and another in Cumberland, as another aggressive Royalist drive north is met by local Parliamentarian forces this month
Royalist forces and Irish Catholic sympathizers consolidate in North Wales
BATTLE OF ROUNDWAY DOWN Kerry 3rd Earl of Southampton, Lord lieutenant of Hampshire and Keeper of the Keys at Winchester head offs the rampaging Cornishmen before they reach London and achieves a stunning success at Roundway Down in Wiltshire. (Changing history!)
BATTLE OF RIBBLE VALLEY Brian the Bishop of Durham and Lord Protector of the Northern Counties met Sir Doley of Ripley, Decorated Dresser, Castilian of Ripley Castle, and Lord Lieutenant of Derbyshire with his army on the Lancashire border and resoundingly beat him back into Lancashire
Meanwhile, The Sheriff of Nottingham seized the West Riding in the name of the King
BATTLE OF IKLEY COMMON as Snugglebunny of Hull, Lord Lieutenant of Hull and the East Riding (otherwise known as the Grand ole Duke of York) marched his 10000 men back to the NW Yorkshire border to successfully repel Snugglebunnies further advance into Yorkshire.
Lord Kingi ex-member of Parliament for Chichester, High Court of Justicee, standing member of the army committee, head of the committee for the advance of money, committee for plundered ministers, the committee for compounding has declared for the King (because he liked his name :) claiming all of Sussex in the Kings name.
Stunned by his neighbour's treachery Triarius, Lord Lieutenant of Dover Castle, member of Parliament for Tunbridge Wells (and former wobble) and recently returned ambassador to the Ottoman Empire has claimed the county of Kent in the name of Parliament, and has immediately put the Archbishop of Canterbury, leader of the Church of England under house arrest.

Turn 3 - Winter 1643
Winter 1643; Events affecting Turn 3 The Parliamentary party showed so united a front that even Pym's death, on 8 December 1643, hardly affected its resolution to continue the struggle. The troops from Ireland proved to be untrustworthy after all. Those serving on both sides were "mutinous and shrewdly infected with the rebellious humour of England". Similarly a small band of Londoners surprised and routed a Royalist detachment from Buckinghamshire at Alton on 13 December 1643, half the prisoners took the Covenant.

Winter Weather meant only Royalists could use flying columns
While parliamentarian armies bordering London County had only a chance of moving due to commanders attendance at Pym's funeral.
Meanwhile seasoned veterans contemplating the thought of having to engage the enemy within Ireland dreaded the thought of vast numbers of unreliable Irish conscripts.
Last edited by GDod on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
awesum4 wrote:Gentlemen, and Rebels,

it is my sad task to admit that the first battle for the southwest has been a defeat for the Gallant Cornish Loyalists; We have withdrawn to Somerset to rebuild our forces, and to enjoy the comfort of our trollops, wives and barrels of porter prior to continuing our struggle against the boring puritan array.

Andre Devereaux,
Duke of Cornwall and Devon and Somerset
In hindsight Devereaux... maybe a mistake to leave behind the trollops and mistresses, along with barrels of porter, fine plate and serving wenches. These things were were clearly hard for your men to abandon and doubtfully sapped their fighting spirit...which lends itself to a mighty ballad

ALAS and ALAC' POOR DEVEREAUX TWAS TWICE DEFEATED (at Field and Table) by the Battle Bard of Bath, a Shakespearan Spector of Soliloquy and future poets of prominence

Oh Devereaux no plate or port... where for art tho
Where oh where can the plate have gone-o
Yet,do not fear my wife-o
I shall search the wenches bed chambers hi and lo
Under bed, blouse and skirt and chamber po
So ye hath need no fear-o
and ye need not shed a tear-o
for my duty is clear and away I must go

But wait dear husband of mine
Did ye not see the wayward wenches badly writ sign
They hath gone north of the far river Tyne
Ther' to dally and tease wit thou landed Grandees so fine
With Parlement men to dance and gluttonously dine
Pouring in liberal display all your rich porter wine!
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Looks like our Private ECW Campaign Forum pages are appearing.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hopefully the "secure" forums for Parliamentarians and Royalists are now set up. Apologies for the delay.
Richard Bodley Scott

ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ulysisgrunt »

How do I find the secure Parliamentary forum?
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

To find the secure thread you must log out of the site then login again. You will then see it at the bottom of the first box of threads, just under tournaments and leagues. If you browse the site without logging in it will not appear. I think I passed on everyone's correct login, please post here if you can't access it.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Global Announcement.jpg
Global Announcement.jpg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
I've posted a warning for both factions as some of you are still using the open faction thread you need to go into the Pike and Shot (FORUM LEVEL)[/size] rather than P&S Tournaments (TOPICS) to find the secure thread :D
Last edited by GDod on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LFDLM »

awesum4 wrote:To find the secure thread you must log out of the site then login again. You will then see it at the bottom of the first box of threads, just under tournaments and leagues. If you browse the site without logging in it will not appear. I think I passed on everyone's correct login, please post here if you can't access it.
I did everything right, but it doesn't work. Maybe my name was misspelled :?:
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

LFDLM, I sent your name exactly as it appears when you post on here, will ask for you to be given access again. I must admit I get the spelling wrong at times, Ls are the main problem
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

A4 did you include TheGrumpyDoge in the Parliamentary line up for access to the new secure Thread ?
He may want to communicate with his mates in the defence of London.
i.e. making sure vast quantities of ale are available for the siege :D
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Yes I included the drunken commander of the city watch. When you want to first access it you have to log right out. If you haven't put your password in again you have not logged out enough
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Kerry says that he can not get in either.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”