Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

ECW Campaign 2017 Common Thread

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
For global announcements, rules, movement and battle reports, and questions and general taunting...good luck gentlemen and ladies (and Scottish laddies)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: ECW Campaign 2017 Common Thread

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
EnglandstartV6.jpg
EnglandstartV6.jpg (233.84 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
NEW FLASH MAP version 6 Starting positions have been finalised apart from one more player to find and a dedicated thread (I'm working on that :roll: )

Please note additions and clarifications. I welcome any conflicts or ommisions as these guidelines are constantly developing and they belong to us all

Royalists.....................County..............................Colour
Doley50.......................Lancashire (34)..................... pink
TGM ..........................Shropshire (24) .....................light green
Awesum4 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cornwall (20).......................dark green
BrentBJ....................... Gloustershire (22)..................dark red
Lascar.........................Norfolk (16)..........................middle red
Kelen2........................Nottinghamshire(31)................yellow
Youngr........................ Rutlandshire (29)....................cream
Damatrois.................... County Down (48) ..................light grey

Parliamentarian...........County................................Colour
Warlord.......................Northumberland (39).................dark blue
Snugglebunnies..............E. Riding Yorkshire (36)..............darker middle bue
Ianiow........................Essex (14)..............................light blue
Kerry D........................Hampshire (4) ........................middle blue
LFDLM........................Buckinghamshire (8) ..................light purple (mauve)
Iandavidsmith...............Pembrokeshire (43)....................purple
Seaport...................... Ayreshire (45) .........................orange
Ulysisgrunt.................. Warwickshire (27).................... tangerine

FORCES
Your force may from any of these lists and can change between your side's lists throughout the campaign unless there is a restriction.

Royalist 1643-44
Royalist Raiders 1643 - 45...........Can be used either as a field army or as a flying column force
Royalist Cornish 1643................Only if you own a county in Cornwall
Scots Royalists 1644-45..............Only if you own a County in Ireland, Scotland or Northern Counties)

Parliament 1643-45
Scots Convenant. 1642-47 ..........Only if you own a County in Northern Counties, Ireland or Scotland
Parliament + Scots 1644-46.........Only if you own a County in Northern Counties, Ireland or Scotland

You may decide the type of force you field but must consider the restrictions including the use of flying columns.

CAMPAIGN MOVEMENT
Intended moves posted in royalist or parliamentarian thread by end of week 1 of each month
I will determine the results of those moves and post a new map that includes unopposed moves and upcoming clashes in the common thread by end of week 1
The relative points of attacker and defender will be obvious from this map
Players negotiate details of conflict in the common thread and complete battles by the end of the month.
You need to post who has won in the common thread as soon as possible.
battle results by the end of week 4 (sometimes maybe earlier if battles are conducted in a timely fashion)
I will post the final map by end of week 4

Moves limited to 1 per month,
If challenge go unanswered by the end of the month then it is an automatic victory to challenger.
If a battle has to go on beyond the end of the month then both forces can't move the next month (and may possibly be subject to another players attack in the new month as a result of other players monthly move.)

1 CYCLE
Players..............Orders................................................................... Week 1
Me...................Unopposed moves and Upcoming Battles advised by............... Last day of Week 1
Players..............Battles completed by...................................................Week 2-4
Me...................New Map Posted.........................................................Last day Week 4

While it's intended to complete a cycle over 4 weeks we may have to revisit the timeline to ensure everyone is under no pressure to complete and report.

GENERAL RULES
Each player starts with 1000 points
Each occupied county is worth 50 additional points. A player cannot cede a county to another either by negotiation or passing through.
You occupy a county by moving into it or claim it by winning a battle.
Once a faction have claimed an entire division of counties you receive an additional 100 points.The player that owns the most counties in a district receives the benefit. If a district has an equal number of counties owned by two in a faction they can decide who benefits.
If more than one force is fighting for a province the lowest casualities wins the county.
A force other than a flying column moves one county at a time
A force designated as a flying column (more cavalry, dragoons, detached musketeers, and light guns than infantry) can move two counties in one move.
You may only have one force in play unless points exceed 2000 points
You may play as an independent (by declaring yourself king or protector) or form alliances but only with your own side.
Players can join at any time when their are unclaimed counties
Players can opt out at any time and their provinces become “neutral” (ie: unclaimed)
Players points for battles by adding up the points from their claimed provinces
Same faction movement does not affect title to the county
Map and marked army position will be updated at the end of each month showing the counties in your chosen colour and the forthcoming battles for the month

MOVEMENT.........................................................................................TYPE OF BATTLE...............................TERRAIN
a. Two forces moving into a county................................................................Always open battle............................Always Pot luck

b. If one force is already occupying a county.....................................................Defender decides..............................Defender choice unless one general occupies twice or more provinces = their choice

c. If (b) applies & a defender friendly force is adjacent to the county being attacked......Reinforced battle for the defender......... Defender choice unless one general occupies twice or more provinces then their choice
[army pts total + extra 180pts reinforcements rounded up in favour of defender]

d. If (b) applies & an attacker friendly force is adjacent to the county being attacked.....Reinforced battle for the attacker...........Attacker choice unless one general occupies twice or more provinces then their choice
[army pts total + extra 180pts reinforcements rounded up in favour of attacker]

e. If (b) applies & equal attacker & defender friendly forces adjacent to the county being attacked....Open battle.......................Pot luck unless one general occupies twice or more provinces = their choice

f. If (b) applies & more attacker or defender friendly forces adjacent to the county being attacked....Send flank force..................Pot luck unless one general occupies twice or more provinces = their choice
[army pts total + extra 200pts reinforcements rounded down to nearest 100 pts]

Please note: If a challenge goes unanswered by the end of the month the county is automatically taken by the attacker issuing the challenge.

AMMENDMENTS,ADDITIONS & CLARIFICATIONS

These changes actioned 3.5.17
1.A "flying column" is designated as any force where the combined total of units of cavalry detached musketeers, dragoons and light guns outnumber the pike and shot Hence, parliament could conceivably field a flying column (Yes, I've checked) . Royalists do not have to, but may choose to use the raiders list.
2. Any player, either side, can designate themselves as a flying column at anytime but must declare this when they post their move.
3. If you designate your move as a flying column and a battle results from a consequence of that move then the player must field a flying column force on the field.
4. Equal number of players on each side

Change Movement You claim a county if you pass through it (You do not have to remain in it for one turn)
Addition Same faction movement does not change county title
Addition London does not have a number it is just London and as a district entitles the occupier to an extra 50 pts (plus district bonus of 100 points)
Addition Owning a District The player that owns the most counties in a district receives the benefit. If a district has an equal number of counties owned by two in a faction they can decide who benefits.
Addition A player cannot cede a county to another either by negotiation or passing through, unless splitting counties for eliminated player /see eliminated player rule
Addition The side with a force bordering the county in which the battle takes place can choose the reinforcing size but if they have equal numbers of armies bordering the computer chooses.

These changes actioned 4.5.17
Addition If a player no longer owns any county they are eliminated from the game, unless another player in their faction can divide his territories equally to give him a recruiting base.
Addition When a player loses a battle must retreat. Hew cannot retreat into any enemy territory. He can only retreat into friendly territory. If he cannot retreat he is relocated to the nearest friendly territory. If there is more than one friendly territory option then it is by chance.
Addition Armies that are only 50 apart in strength are equal and fight at the size of the smaller army.

These changes actioned 5.5.17
Addition If two friendly armies move into the same province the force with the most points moves and the forces with least points remain stationary.

These changes actioned 6.5.17
Addition A force is a flying column for the entire move and must fight as one if contact is encountered in either county it is moving into. The force can move as a normal force during the next cycle.

These changes actioned 13.5.17
Addition A player must advise the campaign manager what army is declared when you move in the campaign and they advise when I've posted the map. If the player fails to advise the list when he moves the choice will be at the Campaign mangers discretion
Last edited by GDod on Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 am, edited 9 times in total.
Kelen2
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Kelen2 »

Couple of questions;

1) Do I assume that all intended moves are PM'd to yourself and that you will determine the results of those moves, i.e. whether a county is occupied unopposed or ends in conflict?
2) If combat occurs do you decide on the relative combat values, i.e. how many points per side? Or do we notify yourself as to the points in play, (after agreeing amongst our own side who gets the points advantage where 2 players on the same side own the same amount of counties in a division)?
3) Are moves limited to 1 per month, and if so by what date do moves need to be declared? I know you say that that if challenges go unanswered by the end of the month then it is an automatic victory, but if battle goes on beyond the end of the month does that then mean that those forces couldn't then move the next month if they miss the cut off date?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
Kelen2 wrote:Couple of questions;

1) Do I assume that all intended moves are PM'd to yourself and that you will determine the results of those moves, i.e. whether a county is occupied unopposed or ends in conflict?
2) If combat occurs do you decide on the relative combat values, i.e. how many points per side? Or do we notify yourself as to the points in play, (after agreeing amongst our own side who gets the points advantage where 2 players on the same side own the same amount of counties in a division)?
3) Are moves limited to 1 per month, and if so by what date do moves need to be declared? I know you say that that if challenges go unanswered by the end of the month then it is an automatic victory, but if battle goes on beyond the end of the month does that then mean that those forces couldn't then move the next month if they miss the cut off date?
Intended moves posted in royalist or parliamentarian thread by end of week 1 of each month
I will determine the results of those moves and post a new map that includes unopposed moves and upcoming clashes in the common thread by end of week 1
Players negotiate details of conflict in the common thread and complete battles by the end of the month.
battle results by the end of week 4 (sometimes maybe earlier if battles are conducted in a timely fashion)

If challenge go unanswered by the end of the month then it is an automatic victory to challenger.
If a battle has to go on beyond the end of the month then both forces can't move the next month (and may possibly be subject to another players attack in the new month as a result of other players monthly move.)

1 CYCLE
Players..............Orders................................................................... Week 1
Me...................Unopposed moves and Upcoming Battles advised by............... Last day of Week 1
Players..............Battles completed by...................................................Week 2-4
Me...................New Map Posted.........................................................Last day Week 4

While it's intended to complete a cycle over 4 weeks we may have to revisit the timeline to ensure everyone is under no pressure to complete and report.

I hope this helps clarify the cycle sequence.
Last edited by GDod on Sat May 06, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelen2

Post by Kelen2 »

GDod wrote:
The Naki Bardman.jpg
Kelen2 wrote:Couple of questions;

intended moves posted in royalist or parliamentarian thread by end of week 1 of each month

1 CYCLE

I hope this helps clarify the cycle sequence.

OK cheers.

Next question, when do we start! :D
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Question GDod. Let's say I designate my army a flying column, move through one neutral province into another, claiming both. Next turn, could I designate my army a regular force, or is it permanently rendered a flying column?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
SnuggleBunnies wrote:Question GDod. Let's say I designate my army a flying column, move through one neutral province into another, claiming both. Next turn, could I designate my army a regular force, or is it permanently rendered a flying column?
Addition A force is a flying column for the entire move and must fight as one if contact is encountered in either county it is moving into. The force can move as a normal force during the next cycle.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Great. So with that, when are orders due? And do we post them somewhere or pm them to you?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
Kelen2 wrote: OK cheers.

Next question, when do we start! :D
You can lodge your FIRST MOVES at any time FROM NOW in your faction dedicated thread.

Please post as:
User name {if a flying column} (from) county name and number (to) county name and number (If flying column (to) second county name and number )

When all moves are in I'll post the new map and conflicts for next month. You may commence to resolve battles from then. Good Luck to both sides and I trust you to not break the code of honour NOT to view the oppositions moves (until I can restrict viewing)
Post your move.jpg
Post your move.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
At the same time, there is a very very small chance that a spying random event will allow a player a 30 second viewing sometime during the campaign.

(I have also engineered a random event generator to deliver good and bad news randomly throughout the campaign including peasant rebellions in claimed provinces declaring themselves as independant, plagues reducing forces that month, a stronghold in the county declaring for the opposite side ceasing movement that turn to clear out the rebels, kingly commands, princely strong-pigheadedness, and other ECW historical events and personality appearances with benefits (or hindrances)

I hope you will all enjoy the ride!
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin,

looks good, thanks for organizing this.

Just another question, what counties are the Irish counties connected to? How long does it take to move to and from Ireland?

Thanks,

andre
Kelen2

Post by Kelen2 »

Sorry, another couple of questions.

1) What size maps will we be playing on?
2) Does the starting 1000pts include the 50 for our starting county, or do we get the 50pts extra for EVERY county we own?
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

Are there any permanent garrison troops assigned to each controlled county or is there only one 1000 point army in existence at a time? Is that what the 50pts for each controlled county represent. Or are those 50pts added to the 1000 point total for a single army?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
awesum4 wrote:Gavin,

looks good, thanks for organizing this.

Just another question, what counties are the Irish counties connected to? How long does it take to move to and from Ireland?

Thanks,

andre
Ireland is connected to 46 Berwickshire and 44 Montgomeryshire... it is a straight county move (no extra time)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
Kelen2 wrote:Sorry, another couple of questions.

1) What size maps will we be playing on?
2) Does the starting 1000pts include the 50 for our starting county, or do we get the 50pts extra for EVERY county we own?
What size maps?... can you explain Kelen I'm not sure of what your question is?. The map will be posted in-line in the common thread (see the example further down this page, if you click on it it will show you the whole map. But if the map is bigger than 256K because of the information updates and it is unclear when it is shrink in size then I'll include a link to the master map.

Good question... NO that's the one worth 1000 points but good try to squeeze extra points out of me :twisted:
Last edited by GDod on Sun May 07, 2017 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
lascar wrote:Are there any permanent garrison troops assigned to each controlled county or is there only one 1000 point army in existence at a time? Is that what the 50pts for each controlled county represent. Or are those 50pts added to the 1000 point total for a single army?
Your army is a 1000 points lascar and for every county controlled after the first :D (thanks Kelen) you receive an additional 50 points of troops to the 1000pts

Example A... I control a home county plus two more...then my army is 1100pts
Example B... I control a home county plus two more but these two are Ireland so now I have 1100pts (home county plus two counties) plus100pts for controlling the division of Ireland... now my army is 1200pts

I you accumulate mores than 2000 points in an army you may split these into two armies... hence two moves :D

Does this make it clearer?
lascar

Post by lascar »

GDod,

Perhaps it would be a good idea to do an example turn, step by step, for those of us who have never played a campaign like this before. Damatrios is asking me questions on how to proceed and quite frankly I only have a sketchy idea about doing so myself. Since this is your brainchild and have it -- hopefully -- formed clear in your mind; you are the authority on how to go about playing this thing.

Thanks for those of us who are still in a state of "fog of game."

Dave
lascar

Post by lascar »

GDod wrote:
The Naki Bardman.jpg
lascar wrote:Are there any permanent garrison troops assigned to each controlled county or is there only one 1000 point army in existence at a time? Is that what the 50pts for each controlled county represent. Or are those 50pts added to the 1000 point total for a single army?
Your army is a 1000 points lascar and for every county controlled after the first :D (thanks Kelen) you receive an additional 50 points of troops to the 1000pts

Example B... I control a home county plus two more but these two are Ireland so now I have 1100pts (home county plus two counties) plus100pts for controlling the division of Ireland... now my army is 1200pts

I you accumulate mores than 2000 points in an army you may split these into two armies... hence two moves :D

Yes, thanks that clarifies it quite a bit.
Still would like a step by step example turn to sort of flesh it out, so to speak.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
lascar wrote:
GDod wrote:
The attachment The Naki Bardman.jpg is no longer available

Yes, thanks that clarifies it quite a bit.
Still would like a step by step example turn to sort of flesh it out, so to speak.
More complicated examples for you to ponder A Question for you: Who chooses the terrain in each example? Prize for first correct entry ... free upgrade of 1 pike unit to veteran this month only!

Example A.............At present - If Brent moves from county 22 to county 9 ... and ... LFDLM moves from county 8 to county 9 then an open battle occurs. the points per side are equal at 1000pts as (Brent only owns home province and LFDLM only owns one province)

Example B.............However, If LFDLM was already in province 9 and Brent moves in then it is a reinforced battle for LFDLM (who gets an extra 180 points in reinforcements) Hence, the type of battle would be reinforced defender and the points for the battle would be attacker (Brent) 1000pts vs defender LFDLM 1180pts.

Example C.............However, If LFDLM was already in province 9 and Brent moves in (and Brent owns three additional counties, (say 42,43,44) to his home county then it is a reinforced battle for LFDLM (who gets an extra 1000pts +180 points in reinforcements) Hence, the type of battle would be reinforced defender and the points for the battle would be attacker (Brent) 1000pts (1000pts+150pts (3 counties extra)+ 100pts (owning a Division Monmouthshire and Wales) = 1250pts vs defender (LFDLM) with 1180pts.

If there is confusion or conflicting interpretations over points I'll work it out for both opponents if requested.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7366 times
Recruit needed.jpg
Recruit needed.jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 7366 times
One last place available for a Zealous Parliamentarian Puritan with Paramilitary Power to Pursue Pundits of the Pony Prince and Pauper Potente ... County 27
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin,

you have confused me with your example of LDFM reinforcing himself. I thought a reinforcement was if a battle took place in a county and one of the sides had another army in an adjoining county. Taking the example above if both Brent and LDFM move into county 9 and the unknown warrior was still in county 27 then LDFM would be reinforced.
Your example B shows LDFM merely defending his home county not being reinforced, unless my knowledge of English is impaired somehow. There is no mention of getting extra forces for defending your home county.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”