Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Interest in English Civil War Online Campaign

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
England.jpg
England.jpg (148.01 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
I'd like to bring back the old wargaming tradition of player run campaigns but this time in the digital world. :D

GENERAL RULES
Each player starts with 1000 points
Each occupied county is worth 50 additional points
You occupy a county by moving into it or claim it by winning a battle.
Once you have claimed an entire division of counties you receive an additional 100 points
If more than one force is fighting for a province the lowest casualities wins the county.
A force other than a flying column moves one county at a time
A force designated as a flying column (more cavalry, dragoons, detached musketeers, and light guns than infantry) can move two counties in one move.
You may only have one force in play unless points exceed 2000 points
You may play as an independent (by declaring yourself king or protector) or form alliances but only with your own side.
Players can join at any time when their are unclaimed counties
Players can opt out at any time and their provinces become “neutral” (ie: unclaimed)
Players points for battles by adding up the points from their claimed provinces

Map and marked army position will be updated at the end of each month showing the counties in your chosen colour and the forthcoming battles for the month

MOVEMENT.........................................................................................TYPE OF BATTLE...............................TERRAIN
Two forces moving into a county................................................................Open battle.....................................Always Pot luck
If one force is already occupying a county.....................................................Defender decides..............................Defender choice unless one general occupies twice or more provinces = their choice
If a defender friendly force is adjacent to the county being attacked.....................Reinforced battle for the defender.......... Defender choice unless one general occupies twice or more provinces = their choice
If an attacker friendly force is adjacent to the county being attacked....................Reinforced battle for the attacker...........Attacker choice unless one general occupies twice or more provinces their choice
If both attacker and defender friendly forces adjacent to the county being attacked...Open battle.....................................Pot luck unless one general occupies twice or more provinces = their choice

Anyone Interested?, obligation should only be one move a month eg County 21 to 17 and perhaps one battle (maybe two if you're being picked on :(....) Finally, army movement can be by pm if necessary (because of neighbouring opponents movements) and if a challenge goes unanswered by the end of the month the county is automatically taken by the attacker issuing the challenge.

Changes actioned so far
oints noted. The following proposed changes.

1.A "flying column" is designated as any force where the combined total of units of cavalry detached musketeers, dragoons and light guns outnumber the pike and shot Hence, parliament could conceivably field a flying column (Yes, I've checked) . Royalists do not have to, but may choose to use the raiders list.
2. Any player, either side, can designate themselves as a flying column at anytime but must declare this when they post their move.
3. If you designate your move as a flying column and a battle results from a consequence of that move then the player must field a flying column force on the field.
4. Equal number of players on each side

Base rule change (otherwise the turns will take years) Movement "You claim a county if you pass through it (You do not have to remain in it for one turn)"
Last edited by GDod on Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Interest in English Civil War Online Campaign

Post by awesum4 »

Its got to be worth a crack Nigel.

How do you decide which army you are using? Players choice or at the beginning is it Royalist Edgehill against Early Parliamentarian? Are there bloody Scots involved?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Initially players declare for parliament or king (equal number each side). We play until one side(or independent player who has declared themselves king or protector) is declared winner because they have two thirds of all counties.
While mutual agreement of army lists would be ideal let's keep the choices limited to:-

Royalist 1643-44
Royalist Raiders 1643 - 45
Royalist Cornish 1643

Parliament 1643-45
Scots Convent. 1642-47

Good thing is if you haven't got time in any month army just doesn't move!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I am interested although I am not sure I understand how this will play out each turn ( seems like with only one army a lot of swapping of territories?)

I like the idea of flying columns but apart from the Royalist raid list, is it even possible for parliament to construct a force of > cavalry, dragoons and light artillery?
Hmm ideally a custom campaign with an added list for parliament similar to the Royalist Raiders would make it work smoothly ( not suggesting you do this, adding an army to the skirmish list would be easy enough but "packaging" for the casual player to d/l and install might be more of a chore)

Anyways, thanks for putting this out here, sign me up!

Down Styphon! (just reread some classic Piper)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

TheGrayMouser wrote:I am interested although I am not sure I understand how this will play out each turn ( seems like with only one army a lot of swapping of territories?)

I like the idea of flying columns but apart from the Royalist raid list, is it even possible for parliament to construct a force of > cavalry, dragoons and light artillery?
Hmm ideally a custom campaign with an added list for parliament similar to the Royalist Raiders would make it work smoothly ( not suggesting you do this, adding an army to the skirmish list would be easy enough but "packaging" for the casual player to d/l and install might be more of a chore)

Anyways, thanks for putting this out here, sign me up!

Down Styphon! (just reread some classic Piper)
The Priesthood never sleeps.jpg
The Priesthood never sleeps.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
The priesthood never sleeps

However, You're not far wrong TGM I don't know how this will develop, it scares the %#^$&%&%* out of me running it but I'm willing to give it a go. Valid observation - the Royalist flying column is a bonus for the Royalists... after all they have Rupert :roll: so i'll ensure the Parliamentarians have an extra player to even it up. (and I'll ensure surprises (wounded commanders, historical events,random events eg: Cornishmen unavailable due to shearing time or cave in at the copper mines, sickness, etc... :roll: ) along the way that will liven it up occasionally... all ideas are welcome if the county swapping becomes stale)
At the same time, individual players are going to have to work together to ensure ultimate victory.
We'll continually evaluate and incorporate good ideas as we progress the campaign until, in the words of the Protector, we have a new model :D
Last edited by GDod on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

I'd like to give it a go.
BrentBJ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BrentBJ »

The King has called and I am ready.

Brent
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
BrentBJ wrote:The King has called and I am ready.
Well done Brent, My first declared royalist in the delivery room...I'm so proud. (I presume you'd like a county in the west country).... :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Doley, awesum and TGM, don't forget to let me know which side you dress :roll:
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

Royalist in Lancashire please.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

GDod wrote:
The Naki Bardman.jpg
BrentBJ wrote:The King has called and I am ready.
Well done Brent, My first declared royalist in the delivery room...I'm so proud. (I presume you'd like a county in the west country).... :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Doley, awesum and TGM, don't forget to let me know which side you dress :roll:
Prefer to serve the king versus a rabble of bourgeois lawyers :)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
So far....Doley50 in Lancashire (County 34) colour light blue, TGM starts in Shropshire (County 24) colour light red, and awesum4 starts in Cornwall (County 20 = furtherest away from the scots!) colour light Green BrentBJ in Gloustershire (County 22) colour purple

But who will rid us of this King? We need four willing democrats but we'll take republicans as well :D
Last edited by GDod on Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

I'd be happy to be Cornish Royalist (lunatic pike and cavaliers are my kind of guys) but otherwise will fight for Democracy.
I don't think the Royalist Raiders army is a bonus for the King, I've never managed to win with them against a well managed Parliamentary army.
Based on the experiences in the last ECW campaign (Behemoth, there are a few threads about it on this forum) the royalists struggle to win most battles when there are even forces, Cavaliers don't handle pike and shot units.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7194 times
awesum4 wrote:I'd be happy to be Cornish Royalist (lunatic pike and cavaliers are my kind of guys) but otherwise will fight for Democracy.
I don't think the Royalist Raiders army is a bonus for the King, I've never managed to win with them against a well managed Parliamentary army.
Based on the experiences in the last ECW campaign (Behemoth, there are a few threads about it on this forum) the royalists struggle to win most battles when there are even forces, Cavaliers don't handle pike and shot units.
Points noted. The following proposed changes.

1.A "flying column" is designated as any force where the combined total of units of cavalry detached musketeers, dragoons and light guns outnumber the pike and shot Hence, parliament could conceivably field a flying column (Yes, I've checked) . Royalists do not have to, but may choose to use the raiders list.
2. Any player, either side, can designate themselves as a flying column at anytime but must declare this when they post their move.
3. If you designate your move as a flying column and a battle results from a consequence of that move then the player must field a flying column force on the field.
4. Equal number of players on each side

Base rule change (otherwise the turns will take years) Movement "You claim a county if you pass through it (You do not have to remain in it for one turn)"
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

Firstly, well done GDod for devising and putting forward this excellent idea. A multiplayer campaign is just what the P&S community needs!

Please put me down on the list of players! With my username being ianiow (Isle of Wight) perhaps I should start off in the county of my birth Isle of Wight/Hamphire (no4). Historically the island was a sleepy little parliamentarian backwater so it is only fitting that I should enlist in Oliver's Army :)
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I'll throw my lobster helmet into the ring.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Several of the Welsh areas are not numbered. Does this mean they have no economic value, they merely delay movement? Not that we are intending to add Welsh Rarebit (or rabbit) to our Cornish pasties.

It may be an idea to talk to RBS (recruit him as a Royalist commander, he handles unruly horseman with great tact and skill). Behemoth had a secure thread for each of the two sides to discuss strategy and tactics away from spies and informants, and bloody scotsmen.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Well done Gavin resurrecting the stalled ECW Behemoth campaign in a new format.
My Mother's family moved to New Zealand in 1849 from Scotland so I will dig out my kilt & sporran.
Thanks
Brian
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Warlord wrote:Well done Gavin resurrecting the stalled ECW Behemoth campaign in a new format.
My Mother's family moved to New Zealand in 1849 from Scotland so I will dig out my kilt & sporran.
Thanks
Brian
Magic ... Awesum4 will be so impressed the Scots have risen for democracy!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
awesum4 wrote:Several of the Welsh areas are not numbered. Does this mean they have no economic value, they merely delay movement? Not that we are intending to add Welsh Rarebit (or rabbit) to our Cornish pasties.

It may be an idea to talk to RBS (recruit him as a Royalist commander, he handles unruly horseman with great tact and skill). Behemoth had a secure thread for each of the two sides to discuss strategy and tactics away from spies and informants, and bloody scotsmen.
Nothing gets past our awesum... I'll delete the sub-divisions of 42,43,44... there's nothing their but :oops: good looking sheep
Last edited by GDod on Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The Naki Bardman.jpg
The Naki Bardman.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
SnuggleBunnies wrote:I'll throw my lobster helmet into the ring.
Thanks snuggles hopefully it's not too much of a Hasle ... I'll rig the parliament colours and starting positions next post! :lol:

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”