Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: TYW Themed Event - The Insurrection

Post by rexhurley »

bloodphoenix wrote:
rexhurley wrote:

Okay, now I'm COMPLETELY confused! LOL Are there seven rounds, or six? :? If I read the above message from rexhurley correctly, I'm supposed to play TheGrayMouser and Egos in the first round?
With you and Egos there are 7 games total, the event was started with 12 players (hence 6 rounds) however to include you 2 I have asked everyone to play 2 players in their rounds, their original opponent as set up then you or Egos dependent on team (the 7th round)
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Send flank march Snugglebunnies (Imperialist) vs GDod (Anti-Imperialist)

Victory for the Imperialists at 31% vs 60% losses.

I believe the match up was German Catholics vs German Protestants, one of the later lists with not Tercios for either side. The battle was broken distinctly into three sectors until the last few turns.

On the left, my dragoons gained me an early edge by disrupting some Protestant horse from the safety of rough ground. My own horse took cover behind that ground before engaging. I gradually gained an edge, but never broke through decisively on this flank.

On the right, my veteran horse supported by commanded shot mostly beat the Protestant horse, and a few units managed to intervene in the infantry fight.

In the center, my men held a hill and mowed down the enemy foot with musketry before closing in with Pike, musket butt, and sword. Though a few of my units routed, my foot won a decisive victory, giving me the win.

A good game, very dicey on both flanks, but the center held strong for the Empire.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

Warlord wrote:
ianiow wrote:
Horribly mismatched armies .
For sure, the Pot Luck God is driving me potty with all the mismatched match ups of armies & terrain that I have been blessed with.
I see ianiow has been blessed with Poles twice.....I will be joining lascar soon in a Polish dungeon.
Ah yes but wasnt it you who suggested that the TYW would give us better balance 8)

Looking at it before posting the setup I tested it in single player 20 times and got close historical matchups which I thought was good v say some of my open pot luck games with Lowland Scots Pike v Russian Boyars and so on so at least its not that extreme. Personally I think 1630 Turks v 1633 Poles is historical what happens within the game mechanics sorry I cant control that, but perhaps its a good game since the Poles are winning but hey they are uber on the Tabletop too so why not digital :wink:
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

rexhurley wrote:
Warlord wrote:
ianiow wrote:
For sure, the Pot Luck God is driving me potty with all the mismatched match ups of armies & terrain that I have been blessed with.
I see ianiow has been blessed with Poles twice.....I will be joining lascar soon in a Polish dungeon.
Ah yes but wasnt it you who suggested that the TYW would give us better balance 8)

Looking at it before posting the setup I tested it in single player 20 times and got close historical matchups which I thought was good v say some of my open pot luck games with Lowland Scots Pike v Russian Boyars and so on so at least its not that extreme. Personally I think 1630 Turks v 1633 Poles is historical what happens within the game mechanics sorry I cant control that, but perhaps its a good game since the Poles are winning but hey they are uber on the Tabletop too so why not digital :wink:
I think the matchup does probably favour the Poles, but not as much as might seem apparent at first glance. Lascar is certainly giving my Poles a hard time with Ottomans.
Richard Bodley Scott

ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Victory for Warlord!!!

Post by ulysisgrunt »

My Catholic horse was swarmed and drowned by his Transylvanian mounted. well played indeed!!

Catholics (Ulysisigrunt) 52% losses

Transylvanians (Warlord) 27% losses
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Has anybody seen Gustavus and his Swedes? Maybe he's laughing at all the muslim dead :0
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

As a suggestion since we are all having so much fun once we have finished this draw perhaps we could swap sides, i.e. the rebel scum become imperialists (the new empire :mrgreen: ) and vice versa then we should be able to see the true measure of everyone. Thoughts?
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Sixth Round Open Battle, First Side Imperialists

Warlord v Pantherboy

Pantherboy I am awaiting your challenge, it may have taken a long detour to the Shrine of the Pot Luck Gods for a Blessing, which I quite understand, but I am champing at the bit.
ianiow

Post by ianiow »

rexhurley wrote:As a suggestion since we are all having so much fun once we have finished this draw perhaps we could swap sides, i.e. the rebel scum become imperialists (the new empire :mrgreen: ) and vice versa then we should be able to see the true measure of everyone. Thoughts?
We've had the Empire vs the Rebellion
Now comes the New Order vs the Resistance.

A long time ago on some battlefields
far, far away...
(from NZ).

...sorry :lol:

Obi Bored Kenobi
BrentBJ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BrentBJ »

As a suggestion since we are all having so much fun once we have finished this draw perhaps we could swap sides, i.e. the rebel scum become imperialists (the new empire :mrgreen: ) and vice versa then we should be able to see the true measure of everyone. Thoughts?
I'm in favor. Maybe I can get to use the Poles. I getting a lesson in how to use them from RBS.
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

ianiow wrote:Obi Bored Kenobi
Lols game up then mate pw = Bored

My 5th round for SunggleBunnies up to, pw = Cuddles

Note to all can you please post all your results from now on in the seperate thread titled TYW Insurrection Event - Results, cheers.

After the first few results Ulysisgrunt in front on 12pts, followed by (in order) Ianiow, Snugglebunnies, Warlord, Awesum4, Gdod and Lascar
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

BrentBJ wrote:
I'm in favor. Maybe I can get to use the Poles. I getting a lesson in how to use them from RBS.
Not so sure about that.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I have 6 games on the go.

If I understand correctly, I am awaiting a challenge for "5th round annexe" from Bloodphoenix.

I have to say that I really like this PotLuck setup. It makes you try to get the best possible use out of armies and OOBs that you would not have chosen (just like a real general), as well as some interesting terrain.
Richard Bodley Scott

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

rexhurley wrote:
Warlord wrote:
Much better than your original choice of Italian Wars, that's for sure
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I also love Potluck, and it's how I normally host my games. Yeah, sometimes it leads to unbalanced matches, but often both commanders are equally unhappy, which is great. Forces us to get creative, instead of always using Hussaria or Salvo Foot.

Personally, I enjoy Age of Machiavelli the most, but I realize that's a minority position. I understand it probably doesn't simulate the warfare of the era as accurately as 30YW does, but the variety of weird units, before a universal tactical system in Western Europe, is great fun. Things like bow and bill, select levy, colunelas, gendarmes, jinetes, etc.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

My congratulations to Ianiow for his penetration of the right flank, and centre and left flank that ultimately caused the destruction of the anti-imperial Danish army. After a promising start by the Danish oncentrated fire from the arquebusiers turned the pike and shot to jelly and started the rot. Winged Hussars and armoured cossacks found a gap on the Danish right and turned three promising winged hussar vs Cuirassier combats to a forgone conclusion. At the same time the left was overrun by numbers. What can you say butGood show and well played!
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

I will be in for whatever tournament is set up. I like the random armies, not so sure about potluck terrain but it certainly makes it interesting.

I think 30 years war is probably the most evenly matched period, but would be happy to play age of Machiavelli. Italian wars is a just hard slog at times, and ECW is less balanced (I cannot get early parliamentarians to work other than by hiding the cavalry behind the foot). The extra nations gives a huge variety of armies and some very unbalanced fights (Swedish with 80% of the army massed crossbows against Swedish rebels with wall to wall pike on an open battlefield was my latest)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Come down and play :)
Come down and play :)
RBS playing king of the castle.jpg (184.42 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Sometimes turks just want to be turks! and imperialists just want to play king of the castle!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

awesum4 wrote:I will be in for whatever tournament is set up. I like the random armies, not so sure about potluck terrain but it certainly makes it interesting.

I think 30 years war is probably the most evenly matched period, but would be happy to play age of Machiavelli.
Certainly Age of Machiavelli will have more variety than Italian Wars. However, for both periods I am not sure that "Large" armies represent the period well (that was my main reason for not wanting to enter the proposed Italian Wars tournament). It would be more realistic with "Medium" armies

Also there is Le Roi Soleil to be considered. With Pot Luck armies this should be quite well balanced, as people will not be able to maximise their foot, and "Large" armies are certainly appropriate..
Richard Bodley Scott

awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

round 7 game set up for Egos. password egos

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”